New Scope

This is a discussion on New Scope within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I posted some of this over on another forum but I know a few of you have befriended me here. Thought I would share my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New Scope

New Scope

I posted some of this over on another forum but I know a few of you have befriended me here. Thought I would share my dive into insanity.

I ordered what I thought would be a good scope that would work well on my 10/22, 223 and maybe my 30-06. Well it was delivered yesterday. And thats when reality began to sink in. Hard. Damn its big. WAY bigger than it looked in the images online. I had seen images of it but there wasn't any reference to size in the images. I am sure I saw a length in inches but probably skimmed right over it.

Well, here is the beast...on my trunk.

For reference those are 1" squares and thats TWO 12" square targets it sits across.

So I went home last night and took out my 10/22. And I sat for a while looking at the rifle and the boxed up scope sitting next to it trying to decide whether I was going to mount it or not. Well. I did. Thats when the full deer in headlights reality of its size hit me.

Jesus its big. I think its only about 6" short of the muzzle. Thats wrong isn't it

Want to try to get out to the range today if I can and see how it zeros in.

2. Remove Ads

You have a 10/22 that can see into the future!

You need to put that on your 30-06. Too much zoom for the .22
    Wolfiesden likes this.

You sure that's a scope, and not some kinda grenade launcher?
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I had a barska 6-24 on the 22 before. The optics were not very clear/bright as compared to my Leupolds, Nikon nor even my Bushnel. This thing is better than either the Nikon or Bushnel and really comes close to my Leupolds which I am likely to replace with this.

I want to get top rails for my 1903A3 and my Rem 700 so I can have a picatinny rail on them to drop this scope on.

Now you can see the group size at 100 yards.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Are you sure you are not compensating for something?
    Snub44 and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

...that's a classic!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by warbirds View Post
    You have a 10/22 that can see into the future!

...what's the numbers on it? how many power and what field of view?
    ...I don't use a scope yet, but when my boys and I went to the range with a Mini-14 before they left for Iraq a few years ago, they were shooting 100 yds with it...I couldn't see the hits at all...I think it's in my near future...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Wow! You could put a bullet up a fly's butt at 1000 yards with that thing. A 3x9 Bushnell about maxes out my .223.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    That is awesome. I'd leave it on there just as a conversation piece.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Now you can see the group size at 100 yards.
    Took it to the range last night to sight it in. And yea, I can. I can see individual bullet holes at 100y

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    Are you sure you are not compensating for something?
    Actually I am. Aging older eyes which are far sighted and wearing bi-focals. Can't focus the target and the front sight of a pistol at the same time. So yea, I am compensating for something :) Just not what you are alluding to.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...what's the numbers on it? how many power and what field of view?
    ...I don't use a scope yet, but when my boys and I went to the range with a Mini-14 before they left for Iraq a few years ago, they were shooting 100 yds with it...I couldn't see the hits at all...I think it's in my near future...
    Its a Nikko Stirling 10-50x60 Targetmaster with lighted 1/2 MilDot reticle.
    Min power: 10x
    Max power: 50x
    Weight: 30.34 oz
    Eye Relief: 3.5-4"
    Field of View at 100 Yards:
    11' @ 10x
    2.5' @ 50x

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    That is awesome. I'd leave it on there just as a conversation piece.
    Yea, it sure will be. I am sure I already know the comments at the range when someone sees it for the first time. Even moreso when I add the side wheel.

...that's a lotta X !!!
    ...what's the side wheel do?
    ...I'd guess you have to fire it at max power from a rest? once had a 20x50 monocular and almost had to brace it...

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Can you let me know what that black spot IS?, In the middle of the biggest crater on the moon?. Nice scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...that's a lotta X !!!
    ...what's the side wheel do?
    ...I'd guess you have to fire it at max power from a rest? once had a 20x50 monocular and almost had to brace it...
    Um, yea, you wont be hand holding this at anything but the lowest zooms. This rifle is for bench or prone shooting. Its not a hand held rifle. The stock alone makes it really heavy to handhold standing. Somewhere between 30-40x I could start seeing my heartbeat in the scope as the image bobbed up with each heartbeat. It was coming from the fist I was making to control elevation and had the hand under the rear of the stock against my chest. Before now, I shot bench with only a front sandbag. I will be making a sniper squeeze sock tonight for rear elevation control.

Until now I didn't really believe the rumor that snipers fire between heartbeats. Now I do. Because I could see the change in POA as my heart beats were transferred into the butt of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    Can you let me know what that black spot IS?, In the middle of the biggest crater on the moon?. Nice scope.
    Thats the 22 round I send there. Its just crossing the X ring :)

Wish I had a way to connect this to my camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links