1911 Question #2--New vs Used pricing

This is a discussion on 1911 Question #2--New vs Used pricing within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, the LGS called and said that they have the Auto-ordnance 1911 that I was looking at with US ARMY stamped in the side and ...

Thread: 1911 Question #2--New vs Used pricing

1911 Question #2--New vs Used pricing

Okay, the LGS called and said that they have the Auto-ordnance 1911 that I was looking at with US ARMY stamped in the side and USA grips. It came in used yesterday and he said they'd take $538 for it. This surprised me as they sell new for $541 from them. When I pointed that out he apologized, looked it up and then said he'd take $500.

I plan to haggle a little here but a $41 break doesn't seem right for a used firearm with no warrantee. I know that we're not talking that much money but I wanted to float this out to see what you think. He deserves to make a living too but it seems like there should be a much larger difference between new and used here. Is that just the way it is with guns?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If he was any good, he probably didn't pay more than $350 for it. It's understood that he has holding costs and that usually comes out of the seller. He either has plenty of margin built into that $500, or he's paid too much for it.

A used gun selling from you to me will keep a lot of it's value. However, going into a display window, it's gonna take a hit.

Also, for what it's worth, I find that my LGS's usually won't barter with a stranger, but will cut the regulars pretty good deals.

Links