Cleaning the Bore

This is a discussion on Cleaning the Bore within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know this may sound like a dumb question ( and maybe it is ) I have a couple gun cleaning kits that have the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wolfiesden

Thread: Cleaning the Bore

VIP Member

Cleaning the Bore

I know this may sound like a dumb question ( and maybe it is )
    I have a couple gun cleaning kits that have the wire brush bore cleaners that fit on the rods . I would think that would be the worst thing to chase down the bore to cause damage and wear . Am i cleaning my guns enough by just running the soft towels or cloths down with a cleaner .( I have never run that wire down my gun )
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

2. Remove Ads

As long as the bore brush is brass and the barrel is steel, you should have no worries. The brass brushed will be damaged before the steel barrel. However, if you have an issue with it, they do sell synthetic bore brushes that are a hard plastic.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

They are made to clean/dislodge things in your bore, not damage it. There are times when there isn't a good substitute for a good brush.

If a barrel won't take a brass bristle, I'd dump the gun.

Distinguished Member
    the forged steel bore can handle copper and mild steel jacketed bullets forced out by an explosion surpassing 10000 psi on a regular bases. it can handle a few passes from a brass brush being pushed by hand no problem.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Yea, because it wouldn't be made of steel (or even pig iron).

You can use brass on anything steel or any coating over steel. I used to service scuba regulators and would scrub nickel and chrome coated parts with brass brushes and have never seen any sort of scratches from it. It will not take bluing off either unless you use excessive force or scrub for days in the same spot. It is simply a very soft metal that can't get a bite into harder metals. I have quite a few brass tools, and you do need to be careful with solid scrapers and angled scrapers.

Brass has been used to clean guns as long as there have been guns.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    I would t worry about it. They are made to do that. The alternatives don't clean as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

VIP Member
    The reason i bring it up is we use wire brushes all the time in our field (welding ) and they do scratch the surface of any materials . I do know none of us would dare run that brush on the outside finish of our weapons as there would be some marks on them . I do know brass is much softer but it still leaves marks . Even Scotch-Brite pads scratch
    Thank You for the answers and input
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

Yes, it would leave marks on the outside in the finish, like blueing or some of the coatings. They are softer than the brass. However, the interior of the bore is not coated nor blued. There is nothing to scratch except the steel of the barrel and brass won't do that.

If it still does worry you, get a bore snake, most have synthetic bristles.
    welder516 likes this.

Links