Normal/Average turn around time with gunsmiths?

This is a discussion on Normal/Average turn around time with gunsmiths? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought a 2" .357 Rossi (used) either the beginning of the year or end of last year. I got about 100 rounds through it, ...

Thread: Normal/Average turn around time with gunsmiths?

Unhappy Normal/Average turn around time with gunsmiths?

I bought a 2" .357 Rossi (used) either the beginning of the year or end of last year. I got about 100 rounds through it, and it went in the dresser afterwards. I was unaware at the time about dryfiring, and did some to test/practice the trigger pull. Maybe a dozen times or so. I was trying to show a friend the difference in the firing system between my M&P and the rossi. At that time I noticed that my firing pin on my rossi had been sheared off. I called around and found a place that would do it. It was my understanding that it may be a week or so and shouldn't be more than a couple dollars for the pin. When I had went to setup the appointment of getting it done, I was told that it may take longer, and the person i talked to thought I said smith and wesson, and rossi's firing pins are harder to come by. I went ahead and dropped off the gun the 3/2/13.

As of early last month, they were waiting for a pin still from rossi. I never received a update call before I called them.

About 3 weeks ago, I called and they said they could machine one instead of waiting for one. I agreed.

Early last week I called, and they had not gotten to it.

Monday (8/25) They said the gun was apart and it was being worked on.

I called today (8/29 12:30p) and talked to someone, which they didn't know if the gunsmith had completed it or not.

My question here is, does this seem like it took way too long? Should it take this long? Am I being impatient? Should I be asking for a discount due to the wait?

How should I handle this situation? From my understanding this is to be a reputable gunsmith. I am told the smith does VERY good work. I don't want to be pushy, and have never had to have a gun fixed before, so I am unsure of all of this...

2. Remove Ads

Just as an update, still no word back from gunsmith. Called Rossi, and got through to customer service. They said they do have them there, but they are "restricted", so they are only for use in in house repairs. If the gun had not been modified, it is covered under Rossi's warranty , and the fix would be free. Turn around time is 4-6 weeks, though the lady on the phone said it would be quicker than that....

VIP Member
    Going on 6 months now. WAY to long of a time. Sounds like the gunsmith decided he didn't want to mess with it, or forgot he had it there. I would give them a call and tell them I was on the way over to pick it up, finished or not. If the repair work has been done, pay for it and find a new gunsmith. If the gun hasn't been fixed, take it and find a reputable gunsmith to do the repair.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

What is a proper amount of time for something like this? I was told they have been backed up, and unable to get the part. If this was the case, Shouldn't they call me? I really don't know this kind of thing. Now if I took my car to a shop, I would expect ANY repairs to be done in a week, if not the same day. A couple weeks if it was a major thing. I just didn't know about guns and the wait time. Since there and back is a 60+ mile trip, I'll give him by tomorrow afternoon I guess, and if it's not done, ask to speak with the smith himself about me driving down there and picking it up. I just didn't wan't to seem pushy...

Well if gunsmiths can't get parts for Rossi because of a Rossi policy I think that alone would be enough to keep me from owning a Rossi.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I learned my lesson on that one. Although, MAYBE, the customer service has changed. If I would have just sent my gun back to rossi, I would have had it back months ago, even waiting months for it. I picked up the rossi due to it's price, and the place made me a deal with it. I got it and a Winchester semi-auto .22 rifle for like 300? I can't remember, but I always wanted a revolver, so i did it. Next gun will be a S&W revolver. Want a .357 snub nose for ccw. Hence why I bought the rossi. I have someone that was talking about buying it for like 200 bucks. Maybe I should take them up on it after the hammer is replaced...

Quote Originally Posted by Hudnall78 View Post
    ....Called Rossi, and got through to customer service. They said they do have them there, but they are "restricted", so they are only for use in in house repairs. If the gun had not been modified, it is covered under Rossi's warranty , and the fix would be free. Turn around time is 4-6 weeks, though the lady on the phone said it would be quicker than that....
    Ever put a horse behind a cart? Of course not....it would be bass ackwards. Was there a point in your quest to have the gun fixed that you concluded that maybe you should have called Rossi before contacting a gunsmith you had never used before? Should have called them first. The best you can hope for now is that the gunsmith will give you the gun back without charging you (probably not likely) and then ship it to Rossi, in whatever current condition it exists, and hope they'll be lenient on their no modification policy.

"Was there a point in your quest to have the gun fixed that you concluded that maybe you should have called Rossi before contacting a gunsmith you had never used before?"

....Ya.... Already punched myself in the face for that. I wish I would have done that, as I wouldn't have wasted so much time and hassle over this. As much of an idiot move as it was, I am trying to use my noggin now and fix my issue asap.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Sorry but a Rossi is what we down south call a Saturday Night Special. They are made a lot better now than in times past. While I am not a gunsmith, I have heard a gunsmith talk about the inability to get parts for them. I owned one many years ago when their quality was of a less than desired. It was bought cheap and sold cheap.

All I can advise you now is to not sell the gun to a family member or a good friend. You will never be alloed to forget it.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

So I finally got a call from the gunsmith himself at almost 6pm.....surprising. What he told me is that he tried to use a smith and wesson pin, but it didn't work. That is all he did. The whole time he had it. Just now tried a hammer. He said he wanted to track down a hammer, which is what I thought he was doing this whole time. I told him that Rossi has one and with the gun being unmodified, its covered without cost to me. He started to bring up that he could mail it, which I said I will be doing myself. He also tried to speak up that he has "time" invested into it, which I then reminded him that I dropped it off 6 months ago. That was the extent of the conversation. I will be driving the miles to pick it up from the store I dropped it off at, and mailing it off to Rossi. I don't care if this is a great gun, or a poor one, I do not wish to be going through this again. That said, this will be the last Rossi I will own, as this drama will keep me away from the brand itself (and all cheaply made firearms) .

Anyone want to buy a Rossi? ROFL.

Seems to me the bigger problem is with the gunsmith not Rossi.

Last time I dealt with a gunsmith, he told me "don't EVER tell a gunsmith you're not in a hurry for it". You didn't say you did that, but consider that words to the wise.

Taurus bought up Rossi a few years ago and I have to wonder if the parts supply has been adversely affected as a result. Rossi is Taurus' "entry level" line, and Taurus is already guilty of inconsistent quality. If nothing else, equivalent guns in the S&W line will have spare parts more readily available. Might be time to consider a trade.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

. Rossi is Taurus' "entry level" line, and Taurus is already guilty of inconsistent quality.
    That's a scary thought.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Links