Bersa FTE.....

This is a discussion on Bersa FTE..... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Stepdad has a Bersa 380 whch is experiencing major FTE problems, I advised him to call Bersa..... Anyone have experince with Bersa customer service? ...

Thread: Bersa FTE.....

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar

Bersa FTE.....

My Stepdad has a Bersa 380 whch is experiencing major FTE problems, I advised him to call Bersa.....

Anyone have experince with Bersa customer service?

Also, any idea what may be a quck fix?
    (Besides trading in on a Sig, which I already suggested.... )
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    My only initial thought is - check extractor to ensure the hook is not chipped. In fact being blowback, that should be a bit less critical IMO than a locked breech semi.

If you get hold of it - field strip and inspect in detail - that's be my fiest move. No idea about Bersa service, not having had to use them.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My wife's Bersa 380 is a picky eater. Try a different ammo. Her gun does the same thing. It hates WWB and American Eagle but will eat up PMC. This is fine with me because I can get PMC for $7 for 50 rounds. I've had no problems with any of the JHP I've tried in it.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

My dad had to send his Bersa .380 in because he could get the safety/decocker to go on, but even I at 5'11 235# couldn't get the darn thing to go up. Bersa will tell you to send it to an Authorized repair shop, my dad's took maybe 2-3 weeks to get back to him. His loves the WWB though, thats all he shoots out of it generally. If you have any other questions lemme know, I'll try to get some more specifics from him.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My wife's bersa .380 had the same stiff safety problem. I fixed it for her and she loves how easy it is to move now. I found this writeup at the bersa talk forum and did it this way. The one thing I did different that the writeup doesn't say is when you sand the hole go toward the other hole, one way. The stop is just a ball that goes in the hole. They make the hole too deep. So what you are doing is taking off a little of the edge so the ball comes out of the hole easier.

"Ok, here is what you do.

Take your gun down like your cleaning it.

On the top slide you can actually take the saftey, out of the gun by sliding it out sideways. You will have to work it between the safe and fire position to get it all the way out. You must be careful when you do this because there is a pin and spring that will come out, so my suggestion is to do it over a towel or something with the receiver pointed down so it will fall into the towel

This will also allow the fireing pin to be removed, inspected, cleaned, ect.

After you get the safety lever out you will notice that there are two holes in it that fit into a pointed piece built into the receiver. These two holes keep it in the safe or fire position. You will then notice that these holes have very sharp machine edges on them. Take a piece of very fine 300 to 400 grit sand paper and rub it over the holes to smooth this sharp edge down. Don't ruin the safety lever.

You can put the safety lever back into the receiver without putting the firing pin etc, back in to check the progress from time to time. It doesn't take much to smooth this edge out.

After you get a feel your comfortable with, you can reassemble the fireing pin, fireing pin retainer, (that is the pin and spring that comes out when you pull the safety lever out) and the safety lever.

After this, I can simply grab my pistol and with a swipe of the thumb release the weapon from the safety position. No wear and tear on the thumb and no stuck safety.

It now works about as easy as my 1911 safety, very slick.

Try it."
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Links