Old Timer for fun n' games

This is a discussion on Old Timer for fun n' games within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I popped into my local gunshop yesterday, and from the story I was told, I was just about an hour behind a young lady selling ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Skippymjp
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By farsidefan1

Thread: Old Timer for fun n' games

Old Timer for fun n' games

I popped into my local gunshop yesterday, and from the story I was told, I was just about an hour behind a young lady selling her late father's guns. There were 3 of them, a horrible looking RG .38, an old Rossi revolver....and this little gem. It's a Colt New Frontier, .22LR. A "G" series made in 1970 with the real case hardened steel frame. They had it tagged at $415, and to be honest, I didn't even really care if that was a good price or not. (turns out, it's actually pretty good). I just snatched it up right then and hung on. :)

I cleaned it up last night, and this morning took it out to wring it out a bit. It performed just like an old Colt should. I think she's a keeper.

RR_NF.jpg
    bmcgilvray, gasmitty and WHEC724 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Oh man. That's nice! In good shape and picked up for quite a nice price. I keep an eye on those from time to time.

My dad still has one just like it with the spare .22 Magnum cylinder that he's had since I was a kid. A first rate and durable, .22 revolver. The finish holds up well to use and the action is pleasingly smooth. It's hard to get greatly enthused about the Ruger Single Six after a familiar association with the Colt New Frontier .22.
    Skippymjp likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Nice catch! Nice to be pleasantly surprised with a decent group like that, too. I think I need to remind myself how much fun a single-action .22 can be (with apologies to Bryan... mine's a Single Six)
    Skippymjp likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    My second gun was a old h&r double action .22 with a 9 round cylinder. Loved shooting the old western stye revolvers.
    Skippymjp likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

A few better photos...that camera phone pic just didn't do it justice.

DSC00172.jpg
    DSC00175.jpg
    DSC00177.jpg
    DSC00182.jpg
    DSC00180.jpg

Links