Defensive Carry banner

eBay Political Correctness

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  .45acp 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a used (98%) Browning 9mm Hi-Power, made in 1991, for my wife. It came with only one 10 round mag. The pistol is on 90 day layaway, which I figured would give me plenty ot time to locate a few 13 round mags, hopefully for a decent price.

Well, I discovered today that perusing eBay for hi-cap mags is a colossal waste of time. eBay will not accept auctions for magazines of more than 10 round capacity.

Political correctness run amok!:aargh4: The (expired) Clinton AWB is alive and well on eBay!:rant:

I'll probably end up buying a few 13 rounders from Midway.

#3 ·
Yeah, I know about gunbroker & the other gun auction sites. I check them frequently. I was just ranting about eBay, that's all.

#5 ·
Well, I don't like being in the position to defend this, but I don't think it has anything to do with political correctness. It is simply that greater than ten round magazines are illegal in some places, and eBay doesn't want to mess with the liability issues that might arise from facilitating illegal activity. That is also why they won't allow you to sell guns: because they can't be sure that the sale will be legal and they don't want to be liable.

Not a very daring or courageous position for their company to adopt, but hardly treason, either.

#8 ·
eBay is a California company.
eBay also owns PayPal.
They are basically one and the same outfit.
California state law only allows up to a 10 round mag to be sold in the state.
As any eBay auction or PayPal payment passes through California, even if only electronically, they follow the California rule.

#10 ·
I've seen lots of "High Cap" mags sold on Ebay. Like "Original GI 30 carbine magazines." "Per Ebay rules I am listing these as ten round magazines." And it's obvious by the picture and the description that they are 15 rounders.

#15 ·
Example of Ebay auction for Glock 23 magazine

Here is an example of what sisco is saying. I just did a search on Ebay for "Glock magazine" and up popped this "10 round" Glock 23 magazine. It appears to be a 13 round magazine from the photo.

Ebay auction

#11 ·
Bones Is 100% Correct

Ebay is CA Based Company & the CA Courts ruled that Ebay must abide by all State laws and restrictions.

Basically, if it's not legal in California it's not legal on Ebay.

I have seen sellers selling 35 round mags on Ebay and saying; "This magazine is Ebay legal and holds at least 10 rounds." :rofl:

Or "This is a 10 round magazine" & the mag is a foot in length. :biggrin2:

#12 ·
Ebay is CA Based Company & the CA Courts ruled that Ebay must abide by all State laws and restrictions.

Basically, if it's not legal in California it's not legal on Ebay.

I have seen sellers selling 35 round mags on Ebay and saying; "This magazine is Ebay legal and holds at least 10 rounds." :rofl:

Or "This is a 10 round magazine" & the mag is a foot in length. :biggrin2:
That's awesome!

#13 ·
yeah I tried to sell some G17 mags and didn't list the capacity and they got pulled...oh well, I guess I should have tried the "it holds at least 10 rnds" thing...
I even had an AR-15 bbl yanked because it had a bayo lug...oh well, I'll keep trying...

#17 ·
Not just ebay and paypal.

Consumer Reports is very anti.
I had a subscription and wanted to research guns and ammo and I wrote them telling them I could not find the info on their sight. They replied that they did not offer research into these items as they are inappropriate.
My membership was inappropriate also and I canceled and let them know why.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.