eBay Political Correctness

This is a discussion on eBay Political Correctness within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently purchased a used (98%) Browning 9mm Hi-Power, made in 1991, for my wife. It came with only one 10 round mag. The pistol ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1943 - 2009

I recently purchased a used (98%) Browning 9mm Hi-Power, made in 1991, for my wife. It came with only one 10 round mag. The pistol is on 90 day layaway, which I figured would give me plenty ot time to locate a few 13 round mags, hopefully for a decent price.

Well, I discovered today that perusing eBay for hi-cap mags is a colossal waste of time. eBay will not accept auctions for magazines of more than 10 round capacity.

Political correctness run amok! The (expired) Clinton AWB is alive and well on eBay!

I'll probably end up buying a few 13 rounders from Midway.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Check gunbroker.com. Basically eBay for guns.

Being anti-gun isn't being politically correct. It's called "treason".
    Last edited by Tubby45; December 1st, 2006 at 12:48 PM.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    Check gunbroker.com. Basically eBay for guns.

Being anti-gun isn't being politically correct. It's called "treason".
    Yeah, I know about gunbroker & the other gun auction sites. I check them frequently. I was just ranting about eBay, that's all.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

and ebay and paypal are practically one in the same...
    paypal being very anti-gun...they have shut down people's accounts just for selling any kind of magazine or "gun part"

Well, I don't like being in the position to defend this, but I don't think it has anything to do with political correctness. It is simply that greater than ten round magazines are illegal in some places, and eBay doesn't want to mess with the liability issues that might arise from facilitating illegal activity. That is also why they won't allow you to sell guns: because they can't be sure that the sale will be legal and they don't want to be liable.

Not a very daring or courageous position for their company to adopt, but hardly treason, either.

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    and ebay and paypal are practically one in the same...
    paypal being very anti-gun...they have shut down people's accounts just for selling any kind of magazine or "gun part"
    Ebay owns PayPal. I have bought guns, gun parts, magazines, and ammo with my PayPal account with no problems.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    Ebay owns PayPal. I have bought guns, gun parts, magazines, and ammo with my PayPal account with no problems.
    lots of people have done this successfully...however, there are many people with frozen accounts that know the other side of it as well. If paypal finds out about it, or if you use certain "key words" in the payment then it can be looked over. They have locked down many accounts (with the money in them) for people breaking their no guns/parts rules. In the cases that I have heard, it has taken the people a couple of months to get their money back...which can be hard on the wallet when you are talking about something like a gun. ...heck so many people have had a problem with paypal's practies they even made a website www.paypalsucks.com
    This is why most merchants on gunbroker and the lik won't accept direct payments via paypal... www.gearpay.com is an alternative to paypal that lets you pay for guns...seems to be getting more popular too

eBay is a California company.
    eBay also owns PayPal.
    They are basically one and the same outfit.
    California state law only allows up to a 10 round mag to be sold in the state.
    As any eBay auction or PayPal payment passes through California, even if only electronically, they follow the California rule.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Quote Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
    Well, I don't like being in the position to defend this, but I don't think it has anything to do with political correctness. It is simply that greater than ten round magazines are illegal in some places, and eBay doesn't want to mess with the liability issues that might arise from facilitating illegal activity. That is also why they won't allow you to sell guns: because they can't be sure that the sale will be legal and they don't want to be liable.

Not a very daring or courageous position for their company to adopt, but hardly treason, either.
    Agree 100%. Can't fault them for making it easier on themselves. Blame the states that limit magazine capacity if you want to blame someone.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I've seen lots of "High Cap" mags sold on Ebay. Like "Original GI 30 carbine magazines." "Per Ebay rules I am listing these as ten round magazines." And it's obvious by the picture and the description that they are 15 rounders.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Administrator

Bones Is 100% Correct

Ebay is CA Based Company & the CA Courts ruled that Ebay must abide by all State laws and restrictions.

Basically, if it's not legal in California it's not legal on Ebay.

I have seen sellers selling 35 round mags on Ebay and saying; "This magazine is Ebay legal and holds at least 10 rounds."

Or "This is a 10 round magazine" & the mag is a foot in length.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Ebay is CA Based Company & the CA Courts ruled that Ebay must abide by all State laws and restrictions.

Basically, if it's not legal in California it's not legal on Ebay.

I have seen sellers selling 35 round mags on Ebay and saying; "This magazine is Ebay legal and holds at least 10 rounds."

Or "This is a 10 round magazine" & the mag is a foot in length.
    That's awesome!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

yeah I tried to sell some G17 mags and didn't list the capacity and they got pulled...oh well, I guess I should have tried the "it holds at least 10 rnds" thing...
    I even had an AR-15 bbl yanked because it had a bayo lug...oh well, I'll keep trying...

VIP Member
    I recall some guy selling an aftermarket 1911 stripped frame on eBay.....it was around for some time before it got pulled.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Example of Ebay auction for Glock 23 magazine

Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    I've seen lots of "High Cap" mags sold on Ebay. Like "Original GI 30 carbine magazines." "Per Ebay rules I am listing these as ten round magazines." And it's obvious by the picture and the description that they are 15 rounders.
    Here is an example of what sisco is saying. I just did a search on Ebay for "Glock magazine" and up popped this "10 round" Glock 23 magazine. It appears to be a 13 round magazine from the photo.

Ebay auction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links