Always Wanted A Lever Action

This is a discussion on Always Wanted A Lever Action within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When I was young ,I almost always hunted with a 30-30 or.35. I have a chance to pick up a Winchester Model 94 AE in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Always Wanted A Lever Action

When I was young ,I almost always hunted with a 30-30 or.35. I have a chance to pick up a Winchester Model 94 AE in 307 caliber. The rifle looks brand new and unfired. I cant find any info on this rifle in this caliber.Serial number is 5582081. Guy selling it wants $900. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thinking of picking it up for my grandson.
    Thanks.
    TC

VIP Member
    TC, can't help you on this one but I sent you a PM that may be of some help.

Good luck,
    PEF
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

OD*
    Here's a little on the cartridge; .307 Winchester
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I am not the lever action guru you seek Grasshopper. Tho I think it's a fine thing to do for your kin.

Ever since Terminator 1 I've wanted a lever action 12G.
    maniacmechanic likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Made in 1990....so it's not very old. Caliber is very unusual & hard to find, if not impossible. May have some collector value down the road ( AEs aren't that desirable) , but if you want to use it....that caliber isn't the way to go.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I think you might want to do an internet search for ammo. There are a lot of used 30/30's out there, and 30/30 ammo is easy to find and affordable. Whatever you decide I agree lever guns are a hOOt to shOOt...!
    miller_man likes this.

My uncle has one,i love shooting.I intend on having one some day.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Made in 1990....so it's not very old. Caliber is very unusual & hard to find, if not impossible. May have some collector value down the road ( AEs aren't that desirable) , but if you want to use it....that caliber isn't the way to go.
    I have a first year Big Bore 94 in .375Win, that ammo is hard to find at certain times of the year, I can only imagine how bad it is finding 307.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I have a 356. I can tell you that it and the 307 were stable mates and the 307 was made to give 308 short range ballistics. It's a great gun, but you need to follow this advice if you want it;

If you don't hand load, start.
    Prepare to either scope it, or put an aperture sight on it, as the elevation on the rear sight is not going to cut it.
    If you can't handle recoil, get the 30-30.

The 375, 307, and 356 are great cartridges. However IMO they are not for the beginner to lever guns.
    OD* likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I have a 356. I can tell you that it and the 307 were stable mates and the 307 was made to give 308 short range ballistics. It's a great gun, but you need to follow this advice if you want it;

If you don't hand load, start.
    Prepare to either scope it, or put an aperture sight on it, as the elevation on the rear sight is not going to cut it.
    If you can't handle recoil, get the 30-30.

The 375, 307, and 356 are great cartridges. However IMO they are not for the beginner to lever guns.
    The one nice thing about the .375Win, Gman, it can also use 38/55 ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    The one nice thing about the .375Win, Gman, it can also use 38/55 ammo.
    Dang it! I had not even considered that.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member
    Man I picked up a nice used marlin 336 back in February and still haven't even takin her out to the range yet!! Pretty sorry of myself actually - going to get out sometime soon.

Shot my buddies a while ago, good times can be had with a lever action 30-30. No experience with other calibers, but I would love to have a 45 lever action one day as well.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Man I picked up a nice used marlin 336 back in February and still haven't even takin her out to the range yet!! Pretty sorry of myself actually - going to get out sometime soon.

Shot my buddies a while ago, good times can be had with a lever action 30-30. No experience with other calibers, but I would love to have a 45 lever action one day as well.
    I hope there's an apostrophe missing there!

But if you enjoy shooting the .30-30, you're going to like the .45 even more... real easy on the shoulder, and that many more shots before you have to reload.
    OD* and bmcgilvray like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I've got my grandfathers old winchester lever action. Unfortunately, it is chambered in .25-35 which is very hard to find, so it doesn't come out very often. The only place I can find ammo is on-line. I would defenitely take ammo availability into account when determining whether or not the gun is a good deal.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I hope there's an apostrophe missing there!

But if you enjoy shooting the .30-30, you're going to like the .45 even more... real easy on the shoulder, and that many more shots before you have to reload.
    Lol, yes - correct punctuation isn't anywhere near a strong point for me. I do like the 30-30, but I will admit I am somewhat sissy when it comes to recoil from some rifle calibers. I'll even probably end up putting a recoil pad on it. Once I get my reloading rolling along and get into the 45 acp caliber, I think a lever action will follow shortly.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links