how to deal on gunbroker.com???

This is a discussion on how to deal on gunbroker.com??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If this is in the wrong place, please move it to where it belongs because I really need some help on this subject. THNX I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: how to deal on gunbroker.com???

VIP Member

Arrow how to deal on gunbroker.com???

If this is in the wrong place, please move it to where it belongs because I really need some help on this subject. THNX

I think I found a gun I want on gunbroker.com

Who has made purchases through them?

Generally, can you ask a seller for more detailed pictures before firming up a bid?

How hard is it to have gun sent to your local gun shop?

Seller accepts only certified check or money order - I've read it is dangerous to send either. Seller is in another state from where I live. Seller has mostly very high marks on gb.com but most of them are as a purchaser - only a few as a seller.

Any other information that would help me would be appreciated. Never bought a gun on line before - always from the shop where I could handle and dry fire it, but this particular one looks like a honey from what I can see.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I have made many purchases on GB and a few sales. I would ask as many questions before the sale as you need to make your self comfortable. Id ask if there is a return period. I would ask if it will be shipped from an individual or a FFL. I would make sure My FFL would recive the gun. Some wont accept a gun from an individual. I personaly like to pay with a creadit card or a Postal MO. My creadit card company gives me some fraud protection. Postal MOs also have some protection but not as much. The good news is your guy has been around for a while not just showed up overnight to dump some stolen goods. I have made at least 20 purchases with none less than perfect. Good Luck DR
    oneshot likes this.

I have been on GB for 15 years (actually it used to be forthehunt.com)

Anyway, GB is great to buy and sell.

You can ask a seller for pictures, tell them you want to send a different form of payment, etc, etc.

Remember, your purchases are also insured through GB and Capt.Fun (the owner) does not put up with any crap from bad buyers or bad sellers.

I have never blinked when buying anything on GB and if your FFL gets pissy about it, GB has a giant list of FFL's in your area who will be more than happy to transfer the gun for you.

Post a link to the auction- I'm just curious what you're after.
    oneshot likes this.

I've made several purchases through GunBroker. Next to the seller's id is the phrase 'ask the seller a question'. Use it to ask anything you want, including more pictures. They may not understand just what you're after; include a reason if you want. Just don't expect an answer before the auction ends if it's already less than 2 days to go. Get your request in as soon as possible.

Check your shop to see if they accept shipments from individuals; many don't. General statement here: You are required to use an FFL in your state for this type purchase. If the seller's name is prefaced with the FFL symbol, you should have no problem. If there isn't one, ask. They may actually be an FFL holder.

Shipping charges: I consider more than $40 excessive; I consider that much excessive if it's coming from in state. One dealer had 4 guns I wanted, but $160 for a 90 mile distance was too much (and FTF pickup was not available). Be very wary of "buyer pays actual shipping charges"; ask your local FedEx and UPS what the usual charges for a firearm of x weight would be.

I usually use USPS money orders. The USPS Postal Inspectors love to take care of fraud cases. Read all the fine print provided by GunBroker in their section of 'how to buy'.

Expect that your shop will probably charge you a fee to execute the ATF 4473 transfer paperwork. They also do the NICS background check at the same time.

Good luck!
    oneshot likes this.

Administrator
    If the seller has been on GB for a while with very good feedback rating you will get your firearm.
    oneshot likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I bought a couple off GB without any issue, actually better than expected. Like others said, check his past feedback. If he lists a business google it and confirm it is as he lists. It is more or less just like Ebay. One keep piece of advice is to line up a local dealer that will accept the purchase prior to committing. He will have to fax/email his FFL to the seller so you want to make sure he is onboard with helping you out and verify his fee. This varies with each dealer. I have a local guy that only charges $20 to do the paperwork. Good luck.

Never had a single problem. Ive made several purchases this year. Jim
    1911 responds much quicker than 911

Just bought a pistol...and some brass....never a problem...just message the seller...post the gun when you can..

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    its like ebay......only slower LOL way slower

I have done about a dozen transactions on GB as buyer and seller
    always smooth and easy.....just slow

The good thing about GunBroker is that it is run like a true live auction, in that if a bid is placed within the final moments of the auction's stated end time, it stays alive for another short period of time. Pretty much like the auctioneer saying "going once... going twice..." and someone waves with a fresh bid. It confounds the "sniping" software which is so pervasive (and personally annoying to me) on fleaBay.

I've dealt quite successfully on GunBroker for several years now, and even the one problem I had was dealt with promptly, because the seller was a stand-up guy.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by warbirds View Post
    I have been on GB for 15 years (actually it used to be forthehunt.com) Post a link to the auction- I'm just curious what you're after.
    The thing that worries me most about this posting on GB.com is that there is no return - gun looks beautiful but is being sold "as is".

Here is the link: Smith and Wesson model 60 357 mag : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

What is your opinion of a no return offering on line?

Also, the beginning bid price looks too good to be true which also makes me wonder about the functionality of the gun.

Your opinions?

I did just send a message to the seller asking a couple questions about my concerns.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    For some reason I usually shop on auction arms, not gun broker... but most of the firearms I've purchased have come from there. Never had a problem. Sellers are usually very good about answering questions and helping you out. I've never even heard of a seller not sending a gun after winning the auction. I suppose it could happen, but I'd say it is unlikely.

To get the gun you just have your dealer send their dealer a copy of his license. A few days later you go back and pick up the gun.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    The thing that worries me most about this posting on BG.com is that there is no return - gun looks beautiful but is being sold "as is".

Here is the link: Smith and Wesson model 60 357 mag : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

What is your opinion of a no return offering on line?

Also, the beginning big price looks too good to be true which also makes me wonder about the functionality of the gun.

Your opinions?
    Most private sellers have a no return policy....That being said, I've never had a problem, and I believe I have purchased a gun from this fellow before.... It was just as described, and shipped quickly....
    I always get a money order from my credit union. Cashiers checks have to clear, and can be forged. A money order is as good as cash, and is credited to the sellers account same day, depending on the bank. My CU has a fraud program as well, so if I use a money order and get ripped off, they credit the money back to me, and help the authorities with a fraud case...

AS was said earlier, GB has a very through no shenanigans policy, and if you have issues, they are very pro active to deal with them. I say, bid with confidence!!
    Survival is the first law of nature, taking great precedence over anything enacted by man and gun control serves only to make an entire group of society into criminals. It affects only those honest enough to obey and not the would-be robber, burglar, thug, or killer.

Just wanted to mention a tip for you and anybody else who may be interested in using Gunbroker to purchase/sell a weapon. Say you're interested in buying/selling a S&W Model 60, if you go to Advanced Search, you can look at the completed auctions which will show you what a firearm actually ended up selling for. It's a good tool to get an idea of what a "fair" price is/going rate for any weapon you're interested in buying or selling.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Here is GB buyer's protection policy.

To me that guy and that auction seem pretty solid.

Gun Broker Fraud Protection - Buyer's Protection at GunBroker.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links