Gun salesmanship

This is a discussion on Gun salesmanship within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was reading my local armslist ads recently and came across one for a Taurus PT-22. The author was touting it as an absolute tackdriver, and ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Wunderneun
  • 3 Post By HotGuns
  • 2 Post By blitzburgh
  • 2 Post By rammerjammer
  • 2 Post By oneshot

Thread: Gun salesmanship

Gun salesmanship

Was reading my local armslist ads recently and came across one for a Taurus PT-22. The author was touting it as an absolute tackdriver, and a premium home defense weapon. I partially admire the salesmanship the guy put into his ad, but I also can't imagine the PT-22 being either of those. It may be somewhat accurate in the right hands, but I don't think it falls under the category of premium home defense weapon. YMMV. Anyone out there willing to admit to falling for a terrible sales pitch?
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

2. Remove Ads

I have a sporting shotgun posted for sale here.

I titled the ad of my post "Terrible Defensive Carry Gun For Sale".

Gun is still available but lots of people have read the ad!
    Terrible Defensive Carry gun for sale (DFW, TX)

He either doesn't know anything about the handgun or he knows very well and is trying to snow job the next sucker that doesn't know anything about handguns either.

When I sold firearms I would qualify the customer, show them what fit their needs, explained the features and benefits of each, let them handle any one they wanted to, answered questions and handled objections, and then asked for the sale.

Those are the basics of selling anything and it can be done honestly and professionally without BS hype or a salesman's hot air.
    missymay likes this.
    Peace is our Profession, War is just a Hobby---Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Guaranteed Worldwide Delivery in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman II--- SAC WILL BE BACK!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

i have a PT-22, its actually a well made gun. very reliable!

Quote Originally Posted by bgusty View Post
    Was reading my local armslist ads recently and came across one for a Taurus PT-22. The author was touting it as an absolute tackdriver, and a premium home defense weapon. I partially admire the salesmanship the guy put into his ad, but I also can't imagine the PT-22 being either of those. It may be somewhat accurate in the right hands, but I don't think it falls under the category of premium home defense weapon. YMMV. Anyone out there willing to admit to falling for a terrible sales pitch?

Senior Moderator
    It helps to know a little bit about guns so that you can separate the BS from the facts.

You wouldn't believe some of the stories I have heard over the years about guns and what they are capable off. It usually only takes about a minute to distinguish fact from fiction...if you have some knowledge.
    blitzburgh, missymay and ccw9mm like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    True indeed, HotGuns. When I'm at the LGS or big box stores, I don't say much to other customers unless they strike up a conversation with me. I have no interest in being or coming off as a gunshop commando but there's been a few things I've overheard that were so ridiculous and outlandish that I really had no option but to speak up.
    HotGuns and atctimmy like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

i look at armslist regularly. it's full of a bunch of low-lifes selling over-priced ammo.

/end rant

I don't get a lot of B.S. at the LGS. I tend to go to the same guy every time because he's knowledgeable, polite, friendly and deserves the commission from me after more often than naught I've browsed more than I've bought.

At big box stores I try to find an older guy behind the counter. Once they know I want to go straight to the wheelies section they know I'm not just some guy looking to find the latest plastic wizbang and are more than willing to be helpful.
    blitzburgh and ccw9mm like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

You know those full page Kimber advertisements...
    I bought 5 different Kimbers over time (do not have any now)
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Well, if you were in the midst of being the victim of a home invasion and the only gun you had was a Taurus PT-22, then it could possibly be considered a "premium home defense weapon" of sorts...in a manner of speaking...kinda...maybe.

As far as the tack driver part, that would be wholly dependent upon the shooter more so than the gun. In the right hands, it could possibly be considered a "tack driver" of sorts...in a manner of speaking...kinda...maybe.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Both of those statements are true, but only when you're comparing the PT-22 with a lawn rake. Yet if a stiff-tined "garden rake" is available, then this "marketing" becomes pure horse manure hyperbole.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgusty View Post

Here is a picture of the "Best gun Salesman".

And while I didn't personally fall for his "Sales Pitch", lots of people did.
    Attached Images
    BugDude and bgusty like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Both of those statements are true, but only when you're comparing the PT-22 with a lawn rake. Yet if a stiff-tined "garden rake" is available, then this "marketing" becomes pure horse manure hyperbole.
    You phrased it a lot more eloquently than I was able to. At least things like this are good for a laugh. When I worked at a big box chain behind the gun counter sometimes the customers had plenty of entertaining things to say as well. On the complete other end of the spectrum I once had a gentleman tell me how his S&W 500 with a scope was his go-to home defense gun. While I feel it is a bit more qualified to serve that role than a PT-22, I still walked away shaking my head.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Links