Buying through a newspaper ad question for ya...

This is a discussion on Buying through a newspaper ad question for ya... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking of buying a handgun from someone through the local newspaper. Whats the norm in this situation, do you call the serial numbers in ...

Thread: Buying through a newspaper ad question for ya...

Buying through a newspaper ad question for ya...

I'm thinking of buying a handgun from someone through the local newspaper. Whats the norm in this situation, do you call the serial numbers in to sherriff department? Ive only bought from the stores before and am not sure of what to do legaly.

Thanks, Tim

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Get a bill of sale from him and keep it safe always.

I haven't done gun transactions like that, but it seems to me that if you're not going to research the serial number yourself, then you'd best be prepared to show that you purchased the gun for X amount of money on Y date from Z person, lest you be the one they accuse of having stolen it from so-and-so way back when...

Thanks,
    See that's what I was thinking. I think I'm going to ask for the serial now. My sister in law works at the sheriffs office. I havent asked her yet but I'm sure she'll run it. Could save some headache later.

I've sold two rifles to people I know personally. For both sales, I made them fill out my verson of the "yellow form", which basically states their name, address, phone number and that they are buying the rifle from me in good faith. I also have them sign it. It isn't much, but it gives me peace of mind. Mostly face to face sales are private affairs. However, you'd be wise to check the laws in your area (Flordia, right?).

Yes Sir..florida...thanks

IIRC, here in Oregon a face-to-face private sale is fine, can be undocumented, and need not go through any checks. Good/bad, depending on your point of view.

Of course, the gun might be stolen, so it's absolutely worth checking on the serial number. Here in OR, a call to the State Police can be made (even anonymously) to verify.

To prove the sale occurred and the gun is in the legal possession of the new buyer, it might be worth filling out at least a simple bill of sale as record of the exchange, possibly along with verifying the person's matching driver's license. The BATF has forms for this purpose.

As for physically viewing the gun prior to sale or meeting to actually exchange cash for the gun, the risks of buying from someone you don't know are obvious. Might be worth doing the "buy" at a commonly acceptable place ... perhaps a local public range, during a time when lots of folks are there.

Done this way, at least as legally allowed in OR, the gun is "off the grid," you're assured the gun has not been reported as stolen (up to that point), you've covered yourself with an acknowledged/signed bill of sale from the seller, there are no transfer fees, and you're guarding against a bad "buy." Of course, the gun could still be stolen but not yet reported (ie, the seller isn't the gun's genuine current owner), though you can only get around that via purchasing new from a dealer.

Uncertain of Florida's requirements in the same situation, hence YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks for the advice

Lightbulb Meet

The person in a mall parking lot. Do not go to his or have him come to your residence.

Have a for prepared with a copy for each of you, place for SN, signature, address, etc.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

It's all good...he's decided to keep it.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Florida allows FTF sales of handguns without any paprer work.
    Usually I meet the seller or buyer in a parking lot and we do the deed. No paperwork at all.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Peacefuljeffery has a great point! I have lived in central Florida for about 23 years and have bought and sold through blind ads. It comes down to your assessment of the person's demeanor, character, etc. Trust your "people skills" and get written documentation at the same time. I've gone so far as to notate license plates of the vehicles in the driveway. If the gun IS stolen, you have written documentation to strengthen your case.

Lst month, a friend of mine had the police at his door asking to see a 9mm that he originally purchased from a licensed dealer. They stated they wanted to "test fire" the gun. My friend produced documentation that he had sold the 9mm to a person months prior. Apparently, the gun was used in an armed robbery in Daytona Beach where shots were fired. The police took a copy of his written documentation that listed the buyer's name, address and Florida driver's license. The police later arrested the guy who bought my friend's 9mm.

Hope it helps!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Not in FL, but I have bought and sold many things including guns privately.

I use a standard format:
    -A short "legal" paragraph explaining the terms of the sale including the price, date and location the sale took place, a statement of "as-is, where-is" if needed, and what is being sold including serial numbers or vin number.

-I then meet the seller/buyer at a store like a postman plus or UPS store, somewhere that has photocopy services and a notary. I can then take the other person's driver's license and my own and place them on the photocopy machine with above paper and make 2 copies. Now we have the paragraph and a copy of our DLs on the same page (2 copies).

-We can then sign the pages under the copy of our DL and if needed have the pages notarized (in the case of a sale where it looks "funny").
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Links