Scored some 22 LR at .05 a round finally

This is a discussion on Scored some 22 LR at .05 a round finally within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I heard from a guy that Academy gets ammo shipments on Mon/Wed/Fri and open at 8am,last fri I showed up about 7:45 after leaving Walmart ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By dukalmighty
  • 2 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By royal barnes

Thread: Scored some 22 LR at .05 a round finally

Scored some 22 LR at .05 a round finally

I heard from a guy that Academy gets ammo shipments on Mon/Wed/Fri and open at 8am,last fri I showed up about 7:45 after leaving Walmart and seeing nothing much,there were about 5 guys waiting in line,and all they had was some 20 or 25 round boxes of 9mm JHP for $18 box,nobody bought any.Today I got there about 7:30 and I was 3rd in line with 4 people waiting,they had 8 1400 round buckets of remington 22 at $70 with tax,and about 10 525 round winchester at about $22+tax.
    You could only get 1 box over 100 rounds,so the 1400 round buckets sold out first,they also had plenty of 9mm and 40 S&W JHP at regular prices,after months of checking at Walmart I now know where to wait to see if they get bulk 22 in so I can always have about 2000 rounds on the shelf
    Snub44, WHEC724 and 64zebra like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Our Walmart has a stack of them at $10 for a 225 round box, and they'll sell 3 at a time. I'm not a fan of Remington .22, but it'll do. I'm headed back over there, this afternoon. I wish I could find a bucket of 'em, but I'll do with stocking back up, piece by piece.

Hope it's coming back. I have a couple thousand on hand but I have been going easy on the plinking until I can replace them.

22 ammo is really the only stuff I have been concerned about, I hand load everything else.
    BigJon10125 and dukalmighty like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Great post OP. I'm with Glockman tho on the UN availability of 22. If all I had was 2000R of 22 I would consider that as the same as OUT of ammo. Back in the mid 80s when I went plinkin' every Saturday if I didn't have 1000R in my shootin' cans I was up to LGS to pickup 500-1000R. I'd always burn up 500-1K R cuz back then as now all I used were the 25R mags in my 10-22s. Of course back then I shot at gravel pits and there were 5 or 6 places I could shoot within 30 minutes of my house. The only 'real range' anywhere in my county were those of private (members only) gun clubs.

Since the mid 90s various shooting clubs and other outdoor recreation users (NOT the hippie backpackers, bird watchers and generally unpleasant eco freaks..ie read that tree huggers and such) OFF Roaders, horse people, regular plain folks, DUCKS Unlimited {I think} have been trying to get a shooting range established in my county. The EIS has been done. If the range is EVER built the original plans called for long range rifle, short-medium range rifle, handgun range, muzzle loader range, archery range and an RV camping area with black water dumping station. In other words the whole 9 yards for every aspect of the shooting sports. A range specifically for LEO training and pistol quals is part of the package. The range would be situated on unused DNR land about 12 miles from the county seat here. Unfortunately we have way too many panty waists liberals here with their knickers in a knot. They cry foul whenever they don't get their way but screw everyone else that doesn't march in lock step to their POV.

Sorry I went off topic. It just really gets my hair up. The Libs got their baseball diamonds and soccer fields willy nilly all over here. The kids got a fancy skate board park. Bird watchers got their spots. Tennis for the fat cats here. The shooters here basically got diddly squat.

If it weren't 0830 here I'd pour a 3 finger drink. Grrrrrrrr
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

NONAME762, it's five o'clock somewhere.
    JDE101 likes this.

Currently, I have around 10K rounds of .22 lr on hand. And I will add more.

I paid normal prices for all of it, and started stocking up right before Obama was elected the first time, and added about 6k rounds after sandy hook. 2K of which, I recently found at walmart in 1K round boxes. Win ML 22 Lr, or some such. Looks to be good stuff.

I pretty much practice with .22s, now. I can afford to shoot all day in .22 converted mode with my AR, and the same with my M&P 22 pistol, and while everyone else was trying to find ARs, during this latest shortage, I added a S&W J frame in .22Lr to my practice guns, so I could practice with it, instead of going thru my stores of .38 special.

I dont see things ever returning to the days when we could only have a box or two of 50 rnd count .22s in the house, and know that we could always run down to the store and buy what we need, on any given day.

Every time there is another gun grab scare, after the next mass shooting, I think the stores will either stop selling ammo (like Dicks did with ARs), or everyone will have a run to stock up.

Im done playing that game. My philosophy has always been "When you need it, you cant get it". Its sort of like waiting for a big snow storm to buy road salt & a snow shovel. Good luck with that plan.

I've got about 3K rounds, but am constantly looking for more -- at a "reasonable" price! I was one of the ones who thought that .22lr would "always" be available! Wow, was I wrong! I'm reluctant to do much shooting until I can build my supply up or until it is readily available. Last year I bought a Colt (made by Walther) 1911 .22 to teach my granddaughters how to shoot and as a cheaper alternative to shooting my Kimber 1911 .45, but we really haven't done as much shooting as we would like because of the ammo situation. Hopefully things will continue to get better on the ammo front, as I have seen a little bit trickling back into some of the stores lately, but not much.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Welp, I just got back from Wallyworld, and they were out of 22LR.

But he was stocking the shelves with loads of 100rnd boxes of 9mm WWB. I happily walked out with my 300rnds.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Nice to see folks getting some .22 for a reasonable price. I don't own anything in .22 so I don't need any but great for you folks that do!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    its all coming back now fellas
    I picked up power and primers at normal prices
    LGS has plenty of ammo ,22LR is on its way back also

People who price gouged (and some still are ) I wont forget

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Hope it's coming back. I have a couple thousand on hand but I have been going easy on the plinking until I can replace them.

22 ammo is really the only stuff I have been concerned about, I hand load everything else.
    Me too, they had the 525 winchesters for $21.95,but you could only get 1 box,I opted for quantity even tho the remingtons came out to about .01 more each round.Somebody said the Academy in the next town over about 6 miles away would let you buy 2 of everything no matter what the quantity was,I may look at going there to start stocking up on the 525 count boxes until I get about 20 boxes,since I tend to shoot 3 boxes or more a month when I can get it and I use a lot to teach people to shoot on my dime the first time
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My dad actually was able to locate and buy some CCI Mini Mags @ $10 / 100. Not sure where it was at but it wasn't at Wally World. The main thing has been the availability. Haven't seen Mini Mags around for a while so that was a nice find. He picked up a couple of boxes for me just in case I wanted them and I gladly bought them from him. I think things are starting to look up as far as availability.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I scored two boxes 325 rd Remington Auto Match at Wally World $18.99 a box. There was a three box limit but I left a couple for the next guy. A couple days later I see an ad in the Nevada Appeal "Two boxes Remington Auto Match 325 rd each $40.00 a piece." I think next time I'll buy all I can sell at cost to another shooter.

Links