Took Co-worker to Range today

This is a discussion on Took Co-worker to Range today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So after giving my Firearm Safety presentation at work yesterday, a co-worker approached me today and said he has had experience with rifles, owns several, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Took Co-worker to Range today

So after giving my Firearm Safety presentation at work yesterday, a co-worker approached me today and said he has had experience with rifles, owns several, has them in a quality safe, and has just purchased a Springfield XDm-40 compact with Crimson Trace laser and knows NOTHING about handguns. I invited him to the range after work and went by his house and picked him up and we went (he lives in my neighborhood). He had a brand new firearm in the box with all of the goodies and a couple hundred rounds of ammo. I show him the ropes at the range, go over all of the safety procedures, do's and don'ts, and we get going.

The first hurdle was showing him how to load the mags. Not easy with stiff springs, but it came with a loader, so showed how to use that. Went through the basic pistol operation 101, shooting techniques, etc. He started out flinching a ton. We worked on finger placement on the trigger, grip, and used the laser to do some drills of holding the firearm steady while dry firing. By the end of the session, he was doing much better. He tried it without the laser and actually did a lot better than with it. I let him shoot my XDm-9 4.5 19+1, my TCP380, and Glock 36. He loved the 9mm.

So, after he said he didn't know anything about cleaning it so we went to my house and I walked him through the whole process, products, etc. and we knocked them all out. I gave him a box of 50 Federal Hydra-Shocks in .40 and loaded up his mags as he didn't have any SD ammo. I told him that I couldn't let any friend of mine leave my house and go home without being loaded with proper SD ammo. I also gave him a hundred or so rounds of 22 for his new Henry lever 22 rifle.

So, all in all we had a great evening of education and training and I got him set up and familiar with the range and what to do, and how to do it. I foresee many more range trips in our future. Next trip is 22s and snubnose revolvers in 38 and 357. I'm glad the presentation inspired him to ask for help rather than just letting his new handgun sit in the safe unused.

PS. I purchased some Speer Gold Dots in .380 and ran a couple dozen through my TCP after it was good and dirtied up from 50 range rounds. Functioned perfectly. So that's what I'm carrying in it now. I had a few jams with range rounds late in the session after it was really good and dirty but they were all cleared quickly and easily by pulling on the slide a tad and releasing. I attribute it to cheap range rounds and being very dirty towards the end of a couple hundred rounds. Sent some flying ash trays down range with my Glock 36 and I'm doing better with it. XDm-9 is spot on as usual, just as fast as I can pull the trigger. Smooth as warm butter.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

...great help to your friend...just don't gift your ammo supply down too far...I'm not seeing supplies increase here...are you? good to see fruit from your labor preparing the presentation!!!

Paying it forward - well done!
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...great help to your friend...just don't gift your ammo supply down too far...I'm not seeing supplies increase here...are you? good to see fruit from your labor preparing the presentation!!!
    I've been fortunate that the little local shop with weird hours has been getting ammo in and isn't dogging us too bad on prices. I had picked up several hundred rounds of the Hydra-Shock a couple years ago at a GREAT price and it was just sitting in the back of the safe. The 22 ammo was some that someone had given to me earlier this summer. I've got several thousand rounds on hand, so a couple hundred I won't even notice. He needed it worse than me. Besides, if I'm ever in an accident, he's the person that would be doing my trauma surgery. I've got to make sure he's well taken care of!!!

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I'm not too big on lazers, I think they cause more problems than they fix! People get started chasing the dot and forget about the sights. I think they have their place, but not as a teaching tool. Looks like the two of you figured that out too. It sounds like you and your friend had a good day out! I'm sure he wont forget it soon. DR
    BugDude likes this.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Well done..

VIP Member
    It feels good to help people .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Sounds like a great day. Good for you.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    It feels good to help people .
    Or shoot them, depending...
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've been fortunate that the little local shop with weird hours has been getting ammo in and isn't dogging us too bad on prices. I had picked up several hundred rounds of the Hydra-Shock a couple years ago at a GREAT price and it was just sitting in the back of the safe. The 22 ammo was some that someone had given to me earlier this summer. I've got several thousand rounds on hand, so a couple hundred I won't even notice. He needed it worse than me. Besides, if I'm ever in an accident, he's the person that would be doing my trauma surgery. I've got to make sure he's well taken care of!!!
    I think I know of which shop you speak. Down in Holiday?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    I think I know of which shop you speak. Down in Holiday?
    No, the one on 52 just past Little Road if you're heading east from US 19.

VIP Member
    Sounds like a great evening.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

And that's how we do that ... one upstanding citizen at a time.

Hopefully you'll be seeing many more from the recent session. It'd be great to set a little brush fire in the community, to help folks see that the simple reality of things, that it can be done safely, that it's in their best interests to be armed and capable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

sounds like a good start for your coworker
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Won't you be my neighbor?
    BugDude likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links