XDs9 or Shield 9

XDs9 or Shield 9

This is a discussion on XDs9 or Shield 9 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm reducing my single stack 9mm "collection" to only one and I plan on practicing heavily with the winner. I currently have the LC9, XDs9 ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Brad426
  • 1 Post By PEF
  • 2 Post By PEF
  • 1 Post By jsimpson4
  • 1 Post By Old_Dog

Thread: XDs9 or Shield 9

XDs9 or Shield 9

I'm reducing my single stack 9mm "collection" to only one and I plan on practicing heavily with the winner. I currently have the LC9, XDs9 and the Shield 9. I know I will keep either the XDs9 or the Shield 9 but I'm having a very hard time deciding between the two. Just looking for some opinions on these two pistols. If you were stuck with this decision, which would you keep? Thank you for your input.

I'll take the shield off your hands :) Problem solved.

I'd personally go Shield, but the real question is which one do YOU shoot better?
    knight65 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    I have the XDS in .45 and the shield in 9. The XDS is on hiatus getting the safety recall fix.

If it were me, and I had the XDS9, I would keep the Shield. For me, the lighter weight of the Shield and the slightly better ergonomics seals it.

Also, my Shield 9 will not spontaneously fire when I load it. (By the way, if your XDS9 is subject to the recall, I recommend you get it fixed before you sell it, should you decide to sell it...).
    knight65 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I'd personally go Shield, but the real question is which one do YOU shoot better?
    Oh, there you go with that common sense stuff again. Show off.
    Brad426 and Taurahe like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

To start. Keep the Shield while your xds is away at Springfield getting fixed.

I like my xds, my wife likes her shield. Shoot them both a lot and you decide. Can't go wrong with either one imo.

They are all fine firearms. Has your XDS been back to Springfield for the recall? How about your shield I believe they ha a recall too.

If they do have outstanding recalls I would go ahead and get them fixed prior to selling.

Which one you ultimately keep should come down to which unit you shoot better.

I personally like the XDs but everyone is a little different

I think I'm keeping the XDs9. I took the Shield out today for our second session and I experienced two FTE and a light strike. This was with a variety of ammo from cheap stuff to quality. The two FTE was with quality ammo so I was not very happy. I don't remember any issues during the first trip to the range but this second one was not so pleasant. What bothers me is that the ammo I used today with Shield, was left over from the range trip with my XDs9 and the XDs9 had zero issues with any of this ammo. I love S&W and have a few others but the XDs9 will get the call here.

The Shield was not affected by their recall but my XDs9 is currently at Springfield. It has been there since last Friday as I shipped it out immediately after hearing about the recall.

Thanks everyone!
    Kennydale likes this.

VIP Member
    Get rid of them all and get a Sig P938

Sig P938 bi-tone.jpg

P938 Nightmare.jpg

Or get a Dan Wesson ECO in 9mm

Dan Wesson ECO.jpg
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

ntg
    Me...picked up a Shield9 today...it hit my LGS today. I think the hold to inspect the recent production is now hitting the pipeline. Mine was manufactured Aug. 15th.
    For me a CC has to be practical and part of that is the price. I couldn't justify the XDS's price...and I've own XDs and think they're a great gun.

Can't wait to go feed it!
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Distinguished Member
    Real easy. Just look at the empty weight of each, read the recall notices and decide. :) The XDs 9mm is the heaviest single stack 9mm on the market by a major gun manufacturer. It is even heavier than a Glock 26. The extra fraction of an inch in thinness over other similar guns does not matter at all, especially at 23 ounces. Springfield makes much of the width of the XDs but never mentions its porky weight in its ads.

Google XDs 9mm and read my article on it. I sold off all but my Sig P938 9mm which I have found to be the best single stack 9mm for me. Always remember that gun recommendations are usually based on the poster's preferences since they have no idea who or what you are. :) I like all metal guns with hammers and either DA revolvers of SA semi autos. My Sig P938 recoils less than a Ruger LCP. At 15 oz. it gives you night sights and the same amount of rounds as the other guns you mention and its grip extension is not nearly as long as others.

The best value in a small single stack 9mm is the Kahr CM9. It has a beautiful smooth DA trigger and to this day, concealed the best in my pocket. However, it is not an all metal gun with a hammer so when I decided that I am most comfortable with what I have been shooting for four decades, I sold it to pay for my current collection of all metal guns with hammers with the sole exception of a Glock 19 which is my knock around gun that I throw in the car or lend to new shooters. In other words, I do not care if it gets scratched up and I do value its utilitarian value and reliability. It may should strange but despite not being a Glock fan boy, if I had to choose just one gun for an all around gun, I would choose the Glock 19 despite its soulless plain looks and boring reliability. :)
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    Old age has its advantages. I have not discovered them yet but I am told that they exist.

Great points by everyone. Thanks. Here's what I ended up doing....

I actually sold the "problematic" Shield to someone, but I made sure to advise the buyer on the few issues I had with it and he was okay with it. So, what'd I do? I convinced the wife that "she" needed a Shield as "her" carry gun. I ordered a new one this past Wednesday and it came in yesterday. test fire date of 8/13/13. I'll be shooting it today.

As of now, after selling two guns (not including the first Shield) I have the following:
    LCP
    XDs9
    Shield9
    Glock 19 Gen4 (USA)
    M&P9 Full Size

I guess that a decent spectrum coverage as far as size goes.....

Quote Originally Posted by jsimpson4 View Post
    I convinced the wife that "she" needed a Shield as "her" carry gun.
    Great final solution! Had your wife not been in the equation, I would still have kept the shield and here's why:

In the event you ever had to use your gun in SD, depending on your local LE dept., they might hold your gun for an unspecified period of time, even if you are justified and no charges are brought. Here in Wisconsin during the ALDI Foodmart incident, it took over a year for the justified shooter to get his weapon back. I would not want to be without a good EDC comparable to the one LE might "confiscate" should I ever find myself in a similar situation. So IMHO, when it comes to good carry guns, inventory reduction is not an option!

ntg
    Well...I feed my Shield...flawless. I've carried it around the house and think it's going to be very easy to carry. Just need to feed it more now.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Links