Burning Desire Vs Practicality

This is a discussion on Burning Desire Vs Practicality within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have one gun so far (Ruger SR40C) it serves both HD & EDC. I am retired and have to count my pennies (somewhat). I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Burning Desire Vs Practicality

Burning Desire Vs Practicality

I have one gun so far (Ruger SR40C) it serves both HD & EDC. I am retired and have to count my pennies (somewhat). I would really like a second firearm sometime early 2014. REALLY have a desire to get either an FNS40 or FNX40. I can handle my Ruger real well so far, but i am wondering if my urge for a mid to full size gun, might be served better by say an LCP or an LCR. Mind you i just started shooting last Nov 2012. And i know there is a reluctance to rely on .380 or .38+P ammo. I can still handle the .40S&W. Any Advice?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Brother I think we all at DC share the same desires. The only reason I don't have a .22 pistol is because I don't have the money to buy one. Already got a .22 AR I haven't even shot yet. It's an addiction. Yes, buy another gun ~ it does make you feel better!

btw, love you avatar!
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

No reluctancy here for .38 special +p or otherwise! That is a fine defensive round that has got it done for years! Unless you anticipate a group of angry Maury (sp) warriors it will serve you well.

If the fns are what you want by all means buy it! Life is too short not to have safes full of guns you like
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

A Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro might well suit you. Mid-sized, compact enough to carry daily, in a variety of calibers, ambidextrous controls, and deemed extremely reliable by many people who've posted about them. Better still, they tend to be far less expensive than many competing pistols.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think you would make a mistake getting a .40 cal anything. Id go with 9mm, (for CC), and suggest a G 19 for primary carry, or a G 26 for backup. A M&P Compact 9mm is also a good choice.

If you wanted pocket carry, a ruger LCP is hard to beat.

I don't really understand what you're asking. Full size handguns is all I carry. The are heavier, yes, but it helps reduce recoil as well.

My wife liked to shoot smaller handguns.....38 and 380..because she felt they fit her hand better...solid thinking, however, she has no consistency or accuracy. I handed her a full frame .40 Cal (S&W Model 411) and she began punching holes in he 9, 10, and X rings consistently. Even she realized what had occurred. The heavier handgun reduced the recoil and allowed her to shoot much better even with a .45, which I carry everyday. We purchased a 9MM (S&W M&P) full size for her, and she shoots it beautifully.

Yes, this is my reason for a larger frame handgun.
    StormRhydr, Sister and Kennydale like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I would never, ever, discount a good .38 Special load, +P or not. The .38 has served LE and the general public for decades and, IMO, has only fallen by the wayside due to "It's old" and the lower capacity of revolvers. I have an ample supply of handguns, but a .38 Snubby is at the top of my "Next Gun" list.

In the end, it comes down to your preference. A snubby may not be to your liking, but there are plenty of LEO trade-in revolvers to be had with a bit more weight and sighting radius. Take your time and keep an open mind. Something will fill that need when the time comes.
    bmcgilvray and Sister like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I think you would make a mistake getting a .40 cal anything. Id go with 9mm, (for CC), and suggest a G 19 for primary carry, or a G 26 for backup. A M&P Compact 9mm is also a good choice.
    Why not get a .40cal? I love mine, and my .38. Not into 9mm myself nor do I wish for a 380 but I'm sure they are great guns if that's what you want. I like big bullets that make a big bang. My .22 is just for fun and to try to get my older parents to shoot. I prefer something that packs a bigger punch but would never sway somebody from getting a 9 or 380 if that is what they have their heart set on. Why not get one or two of everything you like?

Because of YOU all on this forum....now I got to have a 1911 added to my collection!
    USM1976 and Kennydale like this.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

I see it this way: it's good to have a pocket carry gun for times when IWB is impractical. For example, if you're going someplace that bans guns, you'll have to stow your weapon, probably in the car. Personally I prefer not to advertise to the world that I'm leaving a gun there, so a pocket gun with a discreet holster can be secured in glovebox or trunk without anyone being able to tell what it is.

My EDC is an LCR with boot grips. It carries well in jeans pockets. When I carry IWB, I see no reason not to have something larger, but I believe .38 Special is an okay round. I'm not sold on .380 out of the short barrels of pocket guns, but if you need the smallest possible gun, it beats the crud out of the older pocket guns in .25 or .32. Those are definitely underperforming rounds; .380 is borderline. The .40 is probably better than any of these.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Google "Why 40s " rhymes with "luck". Lots of reasons, in my book to avoid 40 cal. Now, I started off with 40s. A Sig & a Steyr. Both great guns. But I sold the SIG, and am selling the Steyr. Im getting rid of any 40 I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Why not get a .40cal? I love mine, and my .38. Not into 9mm myself nor do I wish for a 380 but I'm sure they are great guns if that's what you want. I like big bullets that make a big bang. My .22 is just for fun and to try to get my older parents to shoot. I prefer something that packs a bigger punch but would never sway somebody from getting a 9 or 380 if that is what they have their heart set on. Why not get one or two of everything you like?

Because of YOU all on this forum....now I got to have a 1911 added to my collection!

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Sometimes these threads get entirely too philosophical. Burning desire, Another kid,,, Burning desire,,,Another gun..HMMMMMMM ???....
    Burning Desire = More mouths to feed... Hypothesis: "A vasectomy, multiple guns with ammo is definitely less expensive than another kid".
    Kennydale, Stoveman and Sister like this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Who says there is a reluctance to use 38 Spec +P ammo? All my 357 Magnums are loaded with 125 Gr. SJHP 38 Spec +P. Normally I like magnum ammo but my wife can't handle it so in order to keep her gun with good ammo I decided both would go with the +P. I have carried 38 Spec+P for more than 20 years and never a problem. We train with it and can hit quite well with it.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I'm a big fan of FHN. Then again, I've relied on lots of their maximum fun guns (full autos ). 9mm is a great range gun. It used to be cheap to shoot, and the recoil is like butter in a service pistol. Too bad you can't find ammo. 40 guys are loving that one!
    Kennydale likes this.

If you want to carry then you should definitely get yourself a pocket gun like an LCP or LCR.

But you need a fun plinking gun so get a 22 next. I'd recommend a Ruger MKIII or Single Six.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Life is a matter of endless priorities and stuff. We can always find the money for the stuff we have to have. A new central a/c system replaced the one that went out in June for about $8000. I would have never considered buying that much in guns at one time but a/c is a must in this area. Paid $600 for four new tires on the back of my dually last Tuesday but they were a priority.

If your want of a gun becomes a priority, the money will be there. When we want something, we have to give up something. It is all about priorities and stuff. The lady that lives in this house and feels I should obey her says I need a new 51-gun safe. If I were to buy one, then more guns would be bought and then I would be needing another safe so I could buy more guns.

I think you should get a bigger gun and more guns. Yet before that happens, you got to make them YOUR priority.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links