This is insane

This is a discussion on This is insane within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think I'll stay away from Iowa! Iowa grants gun permits to the blind...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: This is insane

This is insane

I think I'll stay away from Iowa!

Iowa grants gun permits to the blind

2. Remove Ads

Love it!
    rigel42 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Whats the problem?

Distinguished Member
    My state has a written test plus a live fire test for a carry permit. If a blind person can pass both of these tests he or she should have a permit. I doubt it is possible, but people sometimes do the impossible and do it very well.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not get?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Its not insane. There should not be a permit required in the first place. If Grandpa can see a blurry image in his house when the doors are locked and he knows nobody should be there but him who are we to say he cant defend himself.

Shall not be infringed means just that. One day probably long after Im dead, we will get back to that simple unshakeable truth. It may take a lot of voting, letter writing, a constitutional convention or a war but the day will come when what was and is our right to bear arms is unfettered and as it should be.

Once it is may we never be stupid enough to bow and let it become otherwise again.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

You obviously have no clue as to the levels of visual impairment that can qualify as "legally" blind. I've had a few students that are in that category that shoot quite well at self defense range. It doesn't mean they can't see anything, just that they may not be able to see fine detail at distances.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Once pointed in the right direction, I can close my eyes and keep all my shots on a Milpark target. As soon as a totally blind person gets into a hands on encounter - hello contact shot. And +1 to NC Bullseye.
    TVJ likes this.

Distinguished Member
    As long as they are not depressed..........
    GOA Member
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    You obviously have no clue as to the levels of visual impairment that can qualify as "legally" blind. I've had a few students that are in that category that shoot quite well at self defense range. It doesn't mean they can't see anything, just that they may not be able to see fine detail at distances.
    Personal experience. Legally blind is 20/200 in both eyes, uncorrectable. Until some very recent surgery I could only see 20/400 in one eye and 20/800 in the other without my glasses.

There is absolutely no doubt that without glasses, and even using
    the eye with the poorest vision, 20/800, I could see quite well enough to recognize, identify, and point shoot.

Legally blind, 20/200, is a significant impairment but still very very far from not being able to see well enough to take care of yourself, recognize an intruder, and point shoot.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I knew a guy that was corrected to 20/20 but only had a about 20 degrees of peripheral vision- he was legally blind but could see well where he was looking. I'm not opposed to someone like him getting a CCW- better he be able to defend himself with his limitations than to not be able to defend himself at all.

Statistics show people with disabilities are much more likely to be crime victims than the average Joe. If they can pass CCW tests, I support letting them have their permit.
    Dandyone and ccw9mm like this.
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." -- Jeff Cooper

My sister is legally blind without her glasses. She shot 248 out of a possible 250 on the Texas CHL Shooting Proficiency test.
    Dandyone and Sister like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    A legally blind woman is leaving work, and a guy pulls her into an alley to rape her.

As he pulls at her blouse, she pulls out, with her free hand, a 642 from her IWB holster and shoots him in the heart.

What's the problem?
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not get?
    How can a blind person hit a target? And are you saying that a felon should have a gun?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links