winchester 100

winchester 100

This is a discussion on winchester 100 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a 308 winchester model 100 today i loaded my first handload for them but it would not fire them . Sometimes the firing ...

Thread: winchester 100

winchester 100

I have a 308 winchester model 100 today i loaded my first handload for them but it would not fire them . Sometimes the firing pin would hit the primer some times not. if you use store bought ammo we have no problems with the fire arms. I am using winchester primers remington cases.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    the way to be safe is never to be secure.
    Benjamin franklin

Did you check the case length before reloading? If it's trimmed too much, it's possible (but not highly likely) that the case may seat too deeply in the chamber. Winchester primers are not known for hardness, so they aren't your problem.

Next - did you full-length resize the cases? I really doubt this is a problem, but I'll throw it out for conjecture. Most lever guns and autoloaders lack the camming force that bolt actions do, to either run the case home or to aid in its extraction.

Lastly - the newest Win 100 is close to 40 years old. It's possible you may have a damaged firing pin or weak firing pin spring, so I would advise a thorough teardown and inspection. Make sure dirt and crud haven't built up enough to limit FP travel. If the FP looks OK, then maybe a simple spring replacement is what's needed.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thank you smitty i was leaning the same way i know the firing pin has a recall on it which has not been done yet so i think i will just call winchester in the morning and see about this recall. only 2 out of the 10 i loaded fired. but 5 out of 10 had dimple in the primer but did not fire.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Benjamin franklin

Well, if I recall correctly, slam fires were a bigger risk with this gun, but I think your path is prudent.

The Win 100 is a neat gun - I actually saw 2 at the Phoneix gun show this weekend. One was well-used (but not a beater) and I think the asking price was under $500, which I thought was reasonable. The other was a pristine, unfired gun and the asking price was $1500.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I got mine back in 2010 i paid about 350-400 for it. it was used but in very good shape. never had a problem with this fire arm until today. I was really wondering since the firing pin get replaced i am sure the spring will as well.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Benjamin franklin

Links