Practice, nah, I don't need practice

This is a discussion on Practice, nah, I don't need practice within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to the range yesterday to shoot my 30-30. I haven't shot my 30-30 in over a year and I am going on a hog ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By txron
  • 1 Post By StormRhydr

Thread: Practice, nah, I don't need practice

Went to the range yesterday to shoot my 30-30. I haven't shot my 30-30 in over a year and I am going on a hog hunt up near Tyler, TX. I was just going to shoot 3-5 rds to make sure my sights are still OK. Also took my EDC while I was there to get some handgun training as well. I typically go to the range 2 times a month to practice my handgun skills. Shot 100 rds with my XD. Center mass hits, double taps to center mass, head shots, shooting from the draw, all went well and I was satisfied that all shots were in the 10 ring at 7rds and only 1 miss on the head shots. Went over to check out the ghost ring sights on my 30-30 at 100 yrds, and was right on the bulls eye for the first shot. All is well. Then, my second shot was 10 inches to the left. No wind, just yanked it I guess. 3rd shot was 1" right of the bull. All is well again. 4th shot, well left and 4 inches high. Shot 15 total rds with 6 in the 9-10 ring at 100 yrds and the rest were all over the place. Started to doubt that my sights were still in alignment. It started to rain, so I packed up and went home. On my way home, I was thinking about how all over the place I was and started to think the sights were off and how I need to go back another day and get it all corrected. I then started to go through how I performed during the rifle shooting. I started to realize that I did not monitor my breathing. This then made me think about the pre shot routine and how I did not follow the fundamentals of rifle shooting. I concluded that since I had not shot a rifle in over a year, my mechnics and fundamentals were out of whack. I have been so focused on handgun training, that I neglected my rifle training and the results of yesterdays long range shoot proved it. Since my 30-30 also falls into one of my home defense guns for SHTF scenarios, I decided that just practicing one discipline is not good enough. That I need to practice with all the guns that I plan to use if needed. I was amazed how poorly I performed with my rifle, but realized that, like any else, if you do not practice periodically, any skill that you thought you mastered can be lost quickly.
    pgrass101, dV8r, ccw9mm and 1 others like this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

I haven't been able to get to the range as much as I'd like too since the Newtown panic. The few times I've been to the range I'm still accurate but feel rusty.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

It's oft been said...practice makes perfect.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I haven't been as much as i would like.Obviously with the ammo situation,(which seems to be getting better),and the high prices,i can't afford to go as often,but i still try to go.

The last few times i've went,i've been trying to become at least decent left handed.

On rifles, Im old school. I trained on .22 bolt action rifles as a boy. Formal training, and shooting. Done on indoor Army ranges, with surplus marksmanship program ammo, etc.

I never got past that training. In the last decade, I have bought good kimber, and CZ bolt action .22s. Its been odd. Its actually hard to find good quality bolt action .22s today. Kimber no longer makes them, and most gun stores carry only very cheap "childrens" rifles.

Anyway, I am a firm believer that if one wants to get very good with a rifle, (to marksman levels), they need to practice with .22s. You can afford to shoot them, dont have kick to worry about, and the mechanics translate directly to centerfire rifles.
    Manderinobyebye likes this.

It could be the ammo,I would try a few different brands to see which group the best,and use a good rest,that way you know if its you or sumpin else
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    It could be the ammo,I would try a few different brands to see which group the best,and use a good rest,that way you know if its you or sumpin else
    Been using 170g Rem Core Lokt for years and that round has been very accurate in the past. I did the ammo test a long time ago between different weights and manufactures. It is a toss up between the Remingtom Core Lokt and the Winchester Super X in 170gr. When I shot this rifle more frequently in the past, I would get groups that a quarter would cover using both the Rem and Winchester. The 150gr was a spread of about 4".
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    It's oft been said...practice makes perfect.
    But its wrong. Perfect practice makes perfect.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    ... I decided that just practicing one discipline is not good enough. That I need to practice with all the guns that I plan to use if needed. I was amazed how poorly I performed with my rifle, but realized that, like any else, if you do not practice periodically, any skill that you thought you mastered can be lost quickly.
    Good reminder, for everyone. Thank you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    But its wrong. Perfect practice makes perfect.
    yep, practice just makes permanent, bad habits included.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Sponsored Links