A gun I thought I would never own

This is a discussion on A gun I thought I would never own within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I have finally broken through the plate glass AR window. I really never had much interest in the tactical SBG (Scary Black Gun). Took ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: A gun I thought I would never own

Well, I have finally broken through the plate glass AR window. I really never had much interest in the tactical SBG (Scary Black Gun). Took the 13yr old to a gun show this weekend. And after tormenting her with fuzzy pink rifle cases and pink/black zebra hide holsters, I tried to get her interested in some 22's. She really didn't speak much other than when I was teasing her with the pink stuff.

Then one of the dealers asked the question I should have. You like small or large calibers? She said Large. He asked how large. She responded with 30-06 and that Russian one. Mosin 7.62 I chimed in. Oof. No wonder she wasn't interested in the 22's

So I started trolling her through some of the larger stuff. And she kept going back to ARs. So I steered her over to some "cool" ones (or so I thought) with skulls, zombies and colors. Nope, black. Simple. Clean. Thats what she kept going for. Then we spied this...

As I said, I was not and in general am not a fan of the tactical stuff. Blued steel and finished walnut is what I like. But I was looking for something for her, not me. And this, thing, seemd to call to me. Not sure what it was but I am sure what its not. Its not like everyone's AR. Its different. And maybe that is what drew me in. After a sales prep, I decided I liked it and so did she. Its got the long stroke bolt/gas piston from the AK platform with forward charging handle (which can be moved to either side) married to a standard mil-spec AR-15 lower. The upper contains dual buffer springs so it makes the buffer in the butt pointless and this can actually be fired pistol style with the rear stock folded. Something generally not done with an AR-15. Much of the upper is not AR-15 but the firing pin is the same as an AR so its easy to replace with standard pins.

I went home and did some goole-fu on it as this was an area of guns I knew squat about. Turns out this is fairly new to market but has been very highly reviwed by some pretty respectable people. So I googled further and saw the price was pretty solid. Less than I could get it online for plus shipping and FFL. So it was a good deal on top of being a decent rifle.

We took it home for 17 bills. Two barrels, upper, lower, registered and he threw in 100rds of 300AAC, a hat (I really needed another range hat), stickers and a T-shirt for Vanna (no 2x for me). Now I get to play with it until she's 18 and can legally own it

So I slapped a cheap-o BSA red dot (its crap and going to go away real soon) on it and hit the range last night. Its really a comfortable shooter. Better than any other AR I have shot (S&W and Colt). It can be completely broken down using just your finger, no tools. All pins are captive, so are all screws. Barrel replacement requires only an allen wrench for 6 screws in the forward cover (screws are captive and can't be lost) and takes about a minute and a half. So we can go from 223/5.56 to 300AAC Blackout in a couple minutes at the range.

So. I became another guy with a black scary gun. And I kinda like it. I am so not giving up on my beloved bolt action rifles but there is room in the stable for this new pony. Thought I would never say that. But there it is.
    Sister and NECCdude like this.

Picture doesnt work for me :(
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Workin for me...direct link...
    26255841.09d02749.800.jpg

Forgot to mention what it was. ARAK-21. Lots of stuff about it online.

Lucky girl!
    Sister likes this.

VIP Member
    Never heard of it but it sounds intriguing.....

Congrats and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Lucky girl!
    Yea. Like any teenager, there are times I would trade her for a cup of coffee and a doughnut but the rest of the time I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world. Temperamental. Female. Teenager. Tough years coming for a while then it will smooth out again :) And she likes shooting. So whats not to love :)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfiesden View Post
    Yea. Like any teenager, there are times I would trade her for a cup of coffee and a doughnut but the rest of the time I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world. Temperamental. Female. Teenager. Tough years coming for a while then it will smooth out again :) And she likes shooting. So whats not to love :)

I love women, but I'm sure glad I didn't make any.....

4 granddaughters that live next door (officially) but spend 99% of their time at our house. Throw in Maryann and thats 5 women/girls and me the only guy. Think I ever see the bathroom? Yea, no.

But to their credit, the younger 3 (7,9 and 13) all like shooting. The oldest, 14yr old (15 this month) is totally freaked out by guns. She won't even go in the basement when I am reloading. One day recently, Vanna (13) threw an empty 223 casing in her older sister's lap and I swear she almost peed her pants freaking out yelling and screaming "Get it off! Get it off!". Sigh. How did this child come from the same parents the other 3 did.
    Stoveman, Sister and NECCdude like this.

Distinguished Member
    Smart young lady, you should be very proud!
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfiesden View Post
    Well, you still don't; she does. After all, you were making the purchase for her use. And, she's the female in the house ... as in, what's yours is hers. Plus, it's one heck of a cool rig and a powerful caliber. You're gonna have claw marks on it, if you try to monopolize its use. Say "sayonara" now, as that'll sting less. Though, I'm sure you'll still get lots of hugs 'n' kisses on Father's Day, along with smiles that won't quit on range days.

Interesting choice. Looks like a beauty.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well, I own it until she's 18 and can legally own it. At least thats what I keep telling myself (and her) ;)

Its her applseeed gun. She knows it. I am ok with it. As I said, this is not my bag but this one was different enough to make me go for it. I still have and prefer all my bolt guns. I want to get her out to the range this weekend for some quality time with it. Speaking of which, I gotta run some 223 reloads this week. tested an AR recipe on Sunday (been loading precision 223 for bolt) with this gun and it likes them so I need to run a thousand or so. This thing eats ammo. Fast. Gonna need a bigger range ammo can.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    So what does something like that go for? I cant find any pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    So what does something like that go for? I cant find any pricing.
    $1459 for the upper and both barrels
    ARAK-21 Combo Upper Receiver 5.56 and 300 AAC - $1459 | Slickguns

The single caliber 556/223 or 300AAC is cheaper.

I paid $1700 for the compete ARAK-21 system, 100rds 300AAC, Magpul 30rd Pmag, case, New Frontier AR-15 lower and stock, Folder stock adapter, OTD with paperwork.

$1459 - ARAK-21 Upper combo (2 barrels)
    100rds 300AAC - $110
    Pmag - $15
    New Frontier Lower - $149
    Law Tactical folder adaptor - $199
    Soft Tactical Case - $60
    Parts total: $1992 BEFORE shipping

Think I did ok at $1700 to walk out with it that day :) It would have cost me $300+ more to buy the parts, have them shipped to me and assemble it myself.

So this is some kind of AR/AK hybrid? Near as I can tell, this isn't provided as an assembled weapon and that an AR can be modified with components to create the ARAK-21(?).

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I don't care what your daughter says, you are a good Daddy.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links