Buying first handgun with second to follow

This is a discussion on Buying first handgun with second to follow within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi everyone, I am very new to shooting (as in fired less than 20 rounds). Due to circumstances, my wife and I are both wanting ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 1 Post By Zralou
  • 1 Post By usmcj

Thread: Buying first handgun with second to follow

Hi everyone,

I am very new to shooting (as in fired less than 20 rounds). Due to circumstances, my wife and I are both wanting to get handguns for conceal carry. We can only afford 1 gun at the moment for both of us so it seems like we should get something my wife can handle. She has very bad wrists and could struggle with anything bigger than a .22 (I know, poor for self defense but better than nothing).
    I was thinking we could get a beretta bobcat or Taurus PT22 to start and also for both of us to build confidence shooting.
    Then I would later get something a little more suitable (maybe a .380).

Does this sound like a viable plan and would anyone recomend the Taurus or Beretta (is Beretta worth an extra $100)?
    Thanks everyone for your help.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I couldn't recommend either of those as I've never owned them.

Your best bet would be to find a range that rents handguns and have your wife and yourself try out as many as you can.

If her wrists are really that bad, she may never carry anything larger than a .22. But, a .22 in her purse is better than a large rock or the .380 that hurts her.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Since you both cannot carry 1 gun, you could consider a service caliber for you and an alternative defensive tool for her (spray...)

I would never recommend a rim fire cartridge for self defense. It is a very poor choice. If you only have 1 "do it all" gun, consider .38 special as a minimum.

VIP Member
    First: Welcome to you and your wife both.

Sometimes there is a reason that certain guns cost noticeably less than others. That is the same reason that most people on this forum do not recommend that you get those guns: they lack quality and reliability. Taurus is an example - particularly their semi automatics.

For a first gun I recommend a revolver - usually a sturdy .38 - not a featherweight. A good solid, steel gun is very easy to shoot and a very good way to start. Later, when you get really competent with the revolver you can think about getting a semi automatic. I am a big Smith & Wesson revolver fan and totally devoted to Glock semi autos. A of other people on this forum are totally devoted to a couple other brands. Hopefully they will log in here on your thread and make their own recommendations.

THEN the best thing to do is find a range that rents guns and try the various brands. We each have our own comfort level. THEN, both you and your wife need to take lessons from a trained professional. I recommend NRA classes. Then, practice, practice, practice. Then get some more lessons and practice some more. Sounds like too much? It's worth it!

Best wishes.

P.S. Buy your wife a pair of padded shooting gloves. They make ALL the difference in the world. I use PAST -from Midway on line.
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; September 9th, 2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: P.S. added
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

i would get a 380 for yourself and tear gas pepper spray for her, thats what i use ive had to use it twice in self defense and both times it stopped the threat immedietly

I've owned two Taurus guns, one .357 revolver and one 9mm semi-auto, both perform flawlessly, I shot the the semi-auto (PT92) on saturday at the local IDPA match and it was on par with my Glock 34 for accuracy and performance.

The wrist problem your wife has, is likely to affect any firearm she handles to some point, whether it be shooting it or the mere weight of holding it at eye level.

Sara Lou
    Wunderneun likes this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Thanks for all the advice so far. We are going to a range tonight to try out various guns. Depending on her reaction to them, we will decide what to do. Thanks everyone. And also for the tear gas spray idea for her. I hadn't thougt of that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmare6m View Post
    Thanks for all the advice so far. We are going to a range tonight to try out various guns. Depending on her reaction to them, we will decide what to do. Thanks everyone. And also for the tear gas spray idea for her. I hadn't thougt of that.
    NO, no, no - not tear gas. Pepper spray; bear spray; etc. fine. Tear gas expands forever and ever, amen and you will "get got" along with the BG. Trust me on that one -- It's a very long story and could be really funny to hear it but it was NOT funny to live through.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Greetings from Richmond/Rosenberg, TX

I agree you be the main protector till she can get her own firearm.

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike, as well as those with physical challenges.

Get some basic training FIRST. At this point you need fundamentals, not run and gun, or force on force. Reputable instructors will provide a host of handguns and holsters for you to experience in class. That will give you some idea of where your preferences might lead you in handgun selection. Then.....

Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion... again....get some training......proper shooting techniques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right. Most gun shops have a box of used holsters that you can experiment with after you've chosen what gun works best for you. There are many options for concealed/open carry.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there. Caliber doesn't count until after you can consistently hit your target.

If you're buying a handgun for home protection, and you choose to NOT have it on your person, you should consider where in your home you might be if someone kicks the door in. I don't see a person in a position to be able to ask an intruder to "hang on a sec, while I get my gun"

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil...I've known more than a few gents who didn't care for the recoil of what's often called a "ladies gun"... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Links