Sighting in a scope with a minimum amount of ammo - 3 shots??? (video illustration)

Sighting in a scope with a minimum amount of ammo - 3 shots??? (video illustration)

This is a discussion on Sighting in a scope with a minimum amount of ammo - 3 shots??? (video illustration) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, three shots depends on what the goal is. Most sight in their hunting rifles etc. with three shot groups. Depending on the method used, ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Tangle
  • 1 Post By Tangle

Thread: Sighting in a scope with a minimum amount of ammo - 3 shots??? (video illustration)

Senior Moderator

Well, three shots depends on what the goal is. Most sight in their hunting rifles etc. with three shot groups. Depending on the method used, and how well the session goes, this could require anywhere from 9 rounds to a box of rounds.

At today's ammo costs, and sometimes scarcity, or if you're reloading and want to minimize rounds expended in sighting in a new scope, then give this a try.

I make no claim that this method works this well every time, but I did this the very first time I tried it. The principle is that you can shoot one shot groups, especially initially to get the scope zeroed.

Also in this video I explain how I mount a scope, but I don't show the process. And the initial bore sight process is explained.

Video by Tangle:
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Nice vid, funny how many people are so hesitant to really spin those adjustment knobs. Here's another tip: If you zero a rifle chambered in most any cartridge that isn't lobbing a hunk of lead (.45-70) so that the POI is 3/4" low at 25 yds, it will be somewhere in an 8" circle (around the bull) at 100 yds (on an 8.5"x11 piece of paper). Then just make the necessary adjustments at 100 yds. Some cartridges, like .223, will be about 3" high and others may be low, but they'll all be on a standard target. Cartridges like the 45-70 should have a POI about 1.5" high at 25 yds. A few years ago, using your technique and the above, I got a guy who was on his last box of ammo and last trip to the range before deer season, in the bullseye in 4 shots. Couple of confirmation shots later he was gtg and still had plenty ammo left to hunt with

Where's your eye pro?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Nice vid, funny how many people are so hesitant to really spin those adjustment knobs. Here's another tip: If you zero a rifle chambered in most any cartridge that isn't lobbing a hunk of lead (.45-70) so that the POI is 3/4" low at 25 yds, it will be somewhere in an 8" circle (around the bull) at 100 yds (on an 8.5"x11 piece of paper). Then just make the necessary adjustments at 100 yds. Some cartridges, like .223, will be about 3" high and others may be low, but they'll all be on a standard target. Cartridges like the 45-70 should have a POI about 1.5" high at 25 yds. A few years ago, using your technique and the above, I got a guy who was on his last box of ammo and last trip to the range before deer season, in the bullseye in 4 shots. Couple of confirmation shots later he was gtg and still had plenty ammo left to hunt with

Where's your eye pro?
    IIRC, a 55 gr FMJ NATO almost dead on at 50 and 200 yds. So one can zero at 50 and be on at 200 yds and about an inch high, maybe 1.5" high, at 100 yards. I could check that if I could get Nikon's SpotOn running again

I wear eye protection any time I shoot a handgun, but I just can't get all the glass work together somehow when shooting with a scope. I'm gonna have to get that worked out though somehow.
    Diddle likes this.

Excellent video. I have use the same method for years.

Here's a tip I picked up, I don't understand it, but it works;

When bore sighting, try using an object that comes to a point, and see the point in the center of your bore.
    The edge of a roof works great. The first shot will always be much closer to being on. I don't understand the concept, but it works.
    Great job on the video, and good articulation!!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Excellent video. I have use the same method for years.
    Thanks much Gman!

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    ...Here's a tip I picked up, I don't understand it, but it works;

When bore sighting, try using an object that comes to a point, and see the point in the center of your bore.
    The edge of a roof works great. The first shot will always be much closer to being on. I don't understand the concept, but it works.
    Great job on the video, and good articulation!!
    Great tip! Can't wait to try that - a point of the large diamond in the center of the sighting target just might do for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    IIRC, a 55 gr FMJ NATO almost dead on at 50 and 200 yds. So one can zero at 50 and be on at 200 yds and about an inch high, maybe 1.5" high, at 100 yards. I could check that if I could get Nikon's SpotOn running again
    I don't doubt that you're right about that. The reasons I picked 3/4" low @ 25 yds are 1) that it's virtually universal, with the very few exceptions I mentioned - no need for ballistics tables/programs for different cartridges from .223 to 338, 2) past 25 yds just getting on paper after bore sighting can be iffy for a lot of people, and 3) most people are looking for a 100 yd zero. I should mention I worked it out b/c while working at a shooting range 1) I got tired of looking up bullet drops for numerous people and cartridges 2) our shooting points were 25, 50, 75, and 100 yds, 3) I also got tired of people wasting so much ammo shooting numerous groups at each yardage while chasing irrelevant zeros.

All those clicks drive me nuts. Why I need to see like a hawk is beyond me.

Hey, wait a minute...
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Sponsored Links