.22 Revolvers - Got any recommendations?

This is a discussion on .22 Revolvers - Got any recommendations? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I think I'm about to be in the market for a .22 revolver. I'm leaning heavily towards the SP101 (I'd prefer DA/SA). Anyone have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: .22 Revolvers - Got any recommendations?

VIP Member

.22 Revolvers - Got any recommendations?

So I think I'm about to be in the market for a .22 revolver. I'm leaning heavily towards the SP101 (I'd prefer DA/SA). Anyone have anything good, or bad, to say about 'em? Got another suggestion, I'm all ears.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

2. Remove Ads

for a DA revolver the SP101 is a great buy..... I am partial to the ruger single six, bearcat etc.... single action super accurate and a ton of fun.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I have a single six, and a S&W J frame, in .22. I like em both. The J frame has been a very good buy.

The one .22 revolver I dont have, but want, is a S&W Model 17 Masterpiece. Sweetest shooting handgun I have ever fired.

Product: Model 17 Masterpiece

Wife and I share a LCR for practice love it
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I have planned on getting a Ruger Single Six Convertable (22 LR and 22 Magnum). Everytime I get ready to buy one some other family need comes up to take the funds. Priorities.

VIP Member
    Yeah, I really like the Single Six but in order for it to fulfil the role of 'practice' gun, it really needs to have DA capabilities.

That 17 is schweeet! Can't afford it, but thankfully I can look at it for free!
    Sister likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you've got time to hunt around, an H&R 922 is a great DA/SA revolver if you can find one. If you do, let me know the serial #. I'm looking for a stolen one!

BugDude likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

...new...Ruger SP101

...used...High Standard Sentinel Deluxe...2,4, or 6 inch bbl...
    tdave and Sister like this.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    The best? Colt Diamondback 6" or 8"...though you could probably buy three Rugers for what a shooter DB costs.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I have a single six, and a S&W J frame, in .22. I like em both. The J frame has been a very good buy.

The one .22 revolver I dont have, but want, is a S&W Model 17 Masterpiece. Sweetest shooting handgun I have ever fired.

40 oz. .22lr I bet I've shot pellet guns with more recoil!

I have a Ruger Single-Six hunter convertible. At 45 oz, the recoil certainly won't knock you down, but if you don't rock back on your heels, holding the gun at arms length might cause you to tip over ;)

In all seriousness, if you want a practice pistol, it is best to get what you use for SD. In my case, a .22 LCR would be perfect. Another option for wheelie wielders is the audible triggered laser that allows you to get feedback when dryfiring. Those only fit in .38 and larger barrels.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post

OK, what am I missing here ? $1000.00 for a .22 handgun? What is the purpose ?
    “A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you've got time to hunt around, an H&R 922 is a great DA/SA revolver if you can find one. If you do, let me know the serial #. I'm looking for a stolen one!

I echo the H&R 922 sentiment. The one I have was purchased from the pastor that baptized me when I was a kid. It was his nightstand gun until he died at the age of 94. It sat on his nightstand loaded for nearly as long as I had been alive. His housekeeper refused to touch it and dusted around it. It was still sitting there in it's little outline of dust and covered with it when my Dad bought it from his son shortly after he died. My Dad took care of him the last few years of his life and the man's son lives in Chicago. He told my Dad to just sell the guns. My Dad bought it and gave it to me.

It's a great shooter and a lot of fun. This one is unusual due to the 3" barrel. This is what I honed my snubbie technique with.
    Attached Images
    scgunlover1 and blitzburgh like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have had them all, at least the ones being made in the last 5 years. The best is the S&W 617 by far. The SP101 is good also but the 617 is king. However, it is pricey but worth it. Everyone I handed that gun to shot well. I sold off all my .22's because I moved to a place where I could not plink and shooting at paper targets with a .22 is like shooting a pellet gun and I can shoot a pellet gun right where I live for free, every day of the week and it costs less. :)

Shooting bottles, steel and other reactive targets is lots of fun; paper not so much.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by fredg53 View Post
    Wife and I share a LCR for practice love it
    I got mine a little over a month ago and love it! Great gun.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Rofl. What else yah gonna spend your money on?

Its seriously probably the best revolver I will ever hold, or fire. From what I have read about them, its one of the best ever made. Old, or used ones are very highly sought after.

We have all heard how guns are a store of value. From what I have seen of the used prices of these particular guns, its true.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    OK, what am I missing here ? $1000.00 for a .22 handgun? What is the purpose ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links