Cetme; Your Opinions Please.

Cetme; Your Opinions Please.

This is a discussion on Cetme; Your Opinions Please. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Alright everyone, I need your opinion. A friend of mine has a Cetme 308 he is trying to sell me. The rifle has 6 extra ...

Thread: Cetme; Your Opinions Please.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar

Question Cetme; Your Opinions Please.

Alright everyone, I need your opinion. A friend of mine has a Cetme 308 he is trying to sell me. The rifle has 6 extra mags and has only been fired a few times since he has had it. I can get the rifle for about 500 dollars. I have gone back over some of the previous posts but we have alot of new members now. I've got a M1 Garand, M1 carbine and two sks carbines. Also I plan on adding an AR of some type so this is not an either or situation. I have no experience with this rifle so any info would be appreciated. Do you think it is still a crap shoot as to whether they feed properly ect....

Thanks for your time.

IMHO i would go for it, The price doesn't sound to bad at least in my neck of the Woods.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Well check the weld on the reciever, check and see if you can remove the triggerpack (cause if you can't it will fail after non-cleaning), check the headspace with a feeler!, if it is from CIA then check the muzzlebrake to see if the retainer pin has been drilled too far and into the inside on the barrel, you want to also check and see if the cleaning kit and buttstock is easily removed and then you want to check if the two buttstock pins are "too tight" to remove, then you want to check if the rear sight was installed backwards (a common problem) and then check the bore.
    These rifles can be AWESOME but do to some shotty and sometimes "unproofed" chambers CETMEs can just be expensive paperweights.
    Oh and try charging the action with an empty magazine in it because sometimes the feedlips of the magazine or a cant in the reciever WILL cause problems!!

here are some websites I recommend you check out:

http://www.geocities.com/miketheelec...?1006632443870

http://mwdg3.homestead.com/g3misc.html

goodluck, hope all works out well and that you get the best CETME ! :D

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Thanks Hekkenschutze, I appreciate the info!

price is a little high i think but not bad mine has been pretty flawless except a bum mag

Deff take the advice above on what to look for and search a few other websites and they will give you other things i cant remember them all right now

Administrator
    CETME's are like the walmart nachos, sometimes they are really good, other times they are just a fast track to the garbage.

Who built it, and on which receiver? Never, never, never ever buy an aluminum receiver. Check in over at www.hkpro.com and look at the info on the G3- everything from checking headspace to changing rollers. FWIW, unless things have changed, in the past 6 months, you can buy a JLD PTR-91 for about $600, from SARCO. New gun, American-made, heavy-gauge receiver.

I have one. It is reliable, accurate, easy to shoot (very little recoil) and makes a heck of a BOOM!

For 500, I would buy it. Here is their forum about the guns!

www.cetmerifles.com
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    FWIW, unless things have changed, in the past 6 months, you can buy a JLD PTR-91 for about $600, from SARCO. New gun, American-made, heavy-gauge receiver.
    Things have changed substantially. Check the PTR-91 prices out there. You're in for a real sticker shock.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

. I have no experience with this rifle so any info would be appreciated.
    Your friend has it - if he's not willing to say let you go out for an afternoon and play with it if you supply ammunition, pass. If it functions properly for a battle pack or two, it's probably one of the good ones. That said, I eventually sold mine. Why?

-The charging handle versus actual HKs and high-end clones on every Cetme I've ever handled is insanely and stupidly difficult to work.
    -I got a Vector V51 with a paddle mag release. I will *never* again own a HK G3-pattern gun without one, and I'm not shelling out the bucks to make the Cetme (or a PTR, to be honest) into something it wasn't from the factory0.
    -I took apart a Springfield SAR-8 (Greek licensed HK product) and a Vector and an actual HK91. It didn't require two friends, six sets of tools, and lots of swearing to disassemble and re-assemble.
    -The rear sight, in simple, evil, terms, sucks. Sucks. Sucks. Sucks. If you ever use a G3-pattern gun you'll understand, but the peep thing on the Cetme *must* go.

Price your friend is asking is almost fair IMO, but don't be swayed by the magazines - I got my last box of 50 (that's 50 magazines, not a fifty rounder) for $49.95.

Since selling my Cetme, I've owned a SAR-8 and a real 91, and sold them once I got my V51 papered as a short-barrelled rifle. It's everything I wanted the 91-series to be.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Sponsored Links