Shooting one handed, as in missing right hand

Shooting one handed, as in missing right hand

This is a discussion on Shooting one handed, as in missing right hand within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a one year old daughter that was born missing her right hand. She has her whole arm and even a wrist, so she ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Shooting one handed, as in missing right hand

Question Shooting one handed, as in missing right hand

I have a one year old daughter that was born missing her right hand. She has her whole arm and even a wrist, so she can make somewhat of a hook with it. As her father, I am always tying to do things now with only my left hand so that when she gets older i will have some clue as to how to help her. I have even figured out the shoe tying thing one handed. My question is, how can I operate a gun one handed, specifically racking the slide? Are there any special sights that would allow more of a hooking motion on my pants or something? Seeing as how the whole family is involved in IDPA, it would break my heart to think she cold not also participate. She is a stubborn little thing, which I think will help her in the long run, but I want to be there to help her. I'm sure the fathers on the forum understand. I also think it would be good to know in case I am in a gun fight and become injured in my strong hand. Thanks for any help you could provide.

P.S. if anyone can figure out one handed monkey bars, that would also be a bonus!

VIP Member
    I noticed the NRA has shooter services for the disabled. Have you tried contacting them about resources? Good luck!
    tcox4freedom likes this.

VIP Member
    Hit up YouTube and search for "one-handed handgun shooting drills".

Just start watching. Some will be worthless but if you stick with it you will find some good nuggets.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Someone does make a rear sight that has a curved face for just such a purpose, but I can't remember who. You can also put a piece of skateboard/grip tape on top of the slide just in front of the sight to increase friction. There's no reason she can't have just as much fun as everyone else and become very proficient with firearms.

VIP Member
    Start out with one in the chamber so she doesn't need to rack it to open fire. I would suggest a glock or something else without an external safety but let her try several to see what she wants. Now she is good to go if the SHTF. I like what roadrunner said about utube. Some amazingly useful stuff on there but if you have the above setup at least she is ready to protect herself with at least one full magazine without any time consuming preparation. She will need some fairly serious training on trigger finger discipline but the need for training goes without saying.

As to shooting one handed - no big deal. I was surprised to find I was more accurate with my left hand (I'm right handed and right eyed) than my right but that is probably because I go to left after shooting a couple of boxes with both hands and then right handed so fatigue is setting in on the right hand.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I once had an instructor show me how to holster and belt rack the slide. I would consider this dangerious, however, if you only have one arm it would be necessary. You must install some nice iron sights though, not the plastic OEM junk. Here is a quick video for you (better to see it, than read it):

I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Warren tactical makes some good sights for one handed racking. I think they designed one set with a larger shelf with one handed drills in mind.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    My grandfather lost his right arm in WWII when he was 19 years old. He was right handed before it happened. He learned to do everything one handed except tie his shoes (switched to loafers) and cut up his steak. He could outwork anyone I ever met. If you already have the shoe thing down, your daughter is going already one step ahead and with a Dad like you she is going to be just fine.

PS. I never saw him try monkey bars, but he could smoke a cigarette while driving s stick shift (left handed). Don't teach that one to your daughter.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    You only have to rack it once at the range. Most auto's slides stay back after the last shot, then its a mater of putting in the magazine and releasing the slide. If you want you can shoot all but the last shot, drop the magazine and put in another one with no racking involved. I would think loading the magazine would be more of a challenge. Even with a speed loader you need two hands.
    ďA nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.Ē
    ― Edward R. Murrow
    After all, when the Supreme Court twice comes within one vote of ruling that the Second Amendment of the U.S. Bill of Rights isnít an individual right, Americans have a right to be concerned.

I agree that learning to do things with what nature has provided for you is the bravest thing, but sometimes a little extra help can be most useful.

Have you looked into the possibility of a prosthetic hand? It would have to be her decision as to whether she would want one, when she gets old enough to consider such a thing. And technical advances are being made constantly. In the meantime, keep on being a good Papa and encouraging her in every way, being careful to not push her too far. If she is as determined as you say there shouldn't be a problem that way.

I think I speak for all of us here when I say our very best wishes are with you and with her, now and forevermore.
    JDE101, blitzburgh, BamaT and 1 others like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    A buddy's son had the same condition but the left hand was never there. Never saw him attempt a handgun, but he was a crack shot with a bolt action rifle. If handguns don't work out, you may steer her toward long gun sports.
    Sister likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Maybe you are under-estimating what she will be able to do . I have a friend who has no right hand, there is nothing you can do that he can't. Don't try to over-analyze it, and I'm glad that you will be encouraging her to shoot and not let any of it hold her back..... that's a very good thing. Some of it she will figure out herself, and 'tips'...... well, put you hand in a fist and have someone tape it all up so you can't use it.... then see how you think you could best do it..... in order to help her along when she needs it. There is table edge racking a gun, just force with the arm on the slide and pushing the gun forward to rack the slide... as another. There are several ways to do it. Also ... wheel guns..... easy to hold the gun with her arm while loading with her gun hand side ... you can get pretty quick at it.

Maybe we should post the video of the gun who shoots all of the time who has NO ARMS at all.... loads the mag, inserts the mag, racks the slide, holds the gun , and shoots .... all with his feet and toes.
    Michael shoots his .45 with his feet - YouTube

Maybe ... that will keep her encouraged as well, that she'll be a lot better off than him in those terms, and if he can do it....... well... you know.... a motivator on those hard / difficult days.
    oneshot, Sister and tcox4freedom like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Maybe you are under-estimating what she will be able to do .
    This is what I was thinking. Stop practicing things with your weak hand. Her left hand is her strong hand, and I'm willing to bet than in just a few years her strong hand will be capable of doing more things than your strong hand can.
    oneshot and phreddy like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    My grandfather lost his right arm in WWII when he was 19 years old. He was right handed before it happened. He learned to do everything one handed except tie his shoes (switched to loafers) and cut up his steak. He could outwork anyone I ever met. If you already have the shoe thing down, your daughter is going already one step ahead and with a Dad like you she is going to be just fine.

PS. I never saw him try monkey bars, but he could smoke a cigarette while driving s stick shift (left handed). Don't teach that one to your daughter.

^^^^^^^^^I'm in this camp here^^^^^^^

Far as I'm concerned, monkey bars are overrated.

I think your little girl is going to be just fine, and will adapt to her surroundings and abilities.
    Don't over think things, and you all will thrive.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I don't think racking a slide will be an issue. It can be done by holding pressure under the arm pit, or between the other arm and her body, or even between the knees.

I think the trickier part would be loading the mags. But that just a matter of technique and fine motor skills.
    If she has the heart to do it, she will.
    StormRhydr and 10thmtn like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links