Which to Buy: Beretta Storm Compact or Sub

This is a discussion on Which to Buy: Beretta Storm Compact or Sub within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So Beretta Storm Owners, what word do you offer me in my decision to buy a 9mm compact or subcompact? What's better for concealed carry? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Which to Buy: Beretta Storm Compact or Sub

So Beretta Storm Owners, what word do you offer me in my decision to buy a 9mm compact or subcompact? What's better for concealed carry? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have the subcompact in .40 and it's been fine for me. As far as which would conceal better, I'd imagine with the right gear you could conceal either one quite well. I find mine to be quite snappy and sometimes wish I would of went with the compact instead because I'd find longer range sessions a bit more enjoyable.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Thanks Blitz! I've held the sub and it fits great as i have small hands. But i wonder about the recoil on it and the compact.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    The recoil on the Px4 Compact is going to be lighter than the Px4 Sub due to the rotating barrel system. The Storms are too thick for IWB carry, so if you are going to wear a holster in a belt, you might as well get the Px4 Compact.

Thanks Nick! I have read about the compact's rotating barrel...quite intriguing. Have watched a lot of YouTube too on the Storms. They look beautiful...and Italians know beauty.

I would go with the compact. It's a good medium, and also has the rotating barrel system, so recoil will be less noticeable. Along with a slightly bigger gun... I almost went with the compact instead of the full size. But I had a full size in the past and regretted getting rid of it so I had to replace it. I wear that IWB with no issues. Tucks away nicely around 4:00. And I'm not a very big guy..
    Kennydale likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I carry a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact 9mm and it's great to shoot. I would get the compact.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Yo DjPx4...the votes are coming in for the compact. Being a novice gunowner, forgive me but what is IWB? Currently i own an FNX 9mm but looking to sell it and go with Beretta. Thanks for your input...it will factor into my decision.

Yo BurgerBoy, "Where" do you carry? I currently live in NJ, a totalitarian state, but am looking to relocate to Virginia. I currently own an FNX 9mm but am looking to sell it and go with Beretta. Thanks for taking the time to respond...now go chow down a burger!

Quote Originally Posted by barbaricbean View Post
    Yo DjPx4...the votes are coming in for the compact. Being a novice gunowner, forgive me but what is IWB? Currently i own an FNX 9mm but looking to sell it and go with Beretta. Thanks for your input...it will factor into my decision.
    You didn't ask me but I can answer your question.

IWB = Inside waistband where as OWB = outside waistband referring to methods of carrying a pistol.

I have not owned the sub-compact but have owned the compact and it was a great gun! Short story is that I sold it to fund buying the full size version. I love the full size but wish I still had the compact too.

I think carrying the sub would be easier simply because it's smaller over all. In the end, all things considered, I'd buy the compact. It's a sweet gun, I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed.

Darbo, Thanks for your answer to IWB! So far, including yours, all resondees have registered their vote for the compact. Where are the subby fans? So now you have the full size...how come you can't own both? As i've said, i've handled the sub and it's a great fit...so now that i have some other viewpoints all suggesting the compact, i gotta try and find that and see how it looks and feels. Take care.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Yo BurgerBoy, "Where" do you carry? I currently live in NJ, a totalitarian state, but am looking to relocate to Virginia. I currently own an FNX 9mm but am looking to sell it and go with Beretta. Thanks for taking the time to respond...now go chow down a burger!
    I carry OWB at 3 o'clock to 3:30 in a fobus paddle holster that's made for the PX4 with a shirt untucked and hanging over the gun to hide it.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Any reason in particular you're wanting to lose the FNX for a PX4? The FN is the better gun.

Hey Synx, My FNX is probably a better gun but...about 3-months into my buying it, it began to jam on me. I even had the guy at the range who sold me on choosing the FN [over Ruger]--whose and ex-marine--use the gun and it jammed on him. Are there such things as handgun lemons? I bought it for home defense and i can tell you it does not give me any peace of mind owning a top-of-the line gun..that jams. People have told me to send the gun back to the company. I may do that. But am leaning toward selling it and going with the Beretta Storm. That's it in a nutshell.

There are indeed lemons with every manufacturer, but normally the problem is maintenance related with the higher end brands. Is it dirty/unlubricated? Cheap, trashy oil like Hoppe's and Rem Oil immediately cooks off under use, and some handguns don't like to be ran dry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links