UPDATE: Co-worker range report

This is a discussion on UPDATE: Co-worker range report within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As follow-up to my previous threads regarding giving the Firearm Safety presentation and a co-worker coming to me for help learning and choosing a handgun, ...

Like Tree21Likes
  • 13 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By Kennydale
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By BugDude
  • 2 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: UPDATE: Co-worker range report

As follow-up to my previous threads regarding giving the Firearm Safety presentation and a co-worker coming to me for help learning and choosing a handgun, we went to my favorite LGS at lunch to buy range ammo and look at some guns. Easier to talk about them when you're not on the range. I showed him a large variety, we held them, I explained them, etc.

So, after work we go to the range. I took 9 guns, and a wide variety at that. Different types (hammer vs striker, autos and revolvers), sizes, styles, calibers, weights, etc. 3 9mm (large, medium, ver small), 2 380s, 1 40 cal, 1 45, and 2 snubnose 38s (airweight and steel frame).

We shot 600 rounds. I had 2 stations set up and started with the large 9mm. Then went to the medium, and then the single stack 9. Then the compact 40 cal, then 45. Then the 380s, and lastly to the revolvers. It was a good comparison between them all.

Here's the end result:

1) He's a natural shooter. I've never seen someone shoot that well for only their 2nd time firing a gun.
    2) He was able to see the size/weight impact on recoil and recognized there's a sweet spot balance in there for each person.
    3) He shot the large 9mm great. The medium ok, and the small ok. He shot the XD40sc great!!! He did shoot the mag with the pearce pinky extension better than the flush mag or even the extended. The 380s were just OK, and the revolvers he struggled with a little.
    4) After shooting mine and looking at the ones in the store, he is certain he wants a Springfield XDm-9 3.8 9mm.
    5) I realized I've been slouching on my revolver practice. I stunk it up with my wheel guns. I shot all of my 9s and my 40 very well though.
    6) He signed up for his concealed carry class!!!

We talked after the range session and he is really excited. He moved here from Illinois, which according to him was draconian regarding firearms. We talked about the 2A and our rights and the political efforts to strip us of those rights and we have to fight to keep them. I believe we have a full fledged convert on our side now. He's in!!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Making America Safer One Person At A Time.

PS* Convince him to sign up for NRA, or NAGR
    ccw9mm likes this.

Nicely done. Now move him on to evil black rifles!
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

So... who had the bigger grin?
    welder516 and blitzburgh like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

ha ha ha, I expect the newbie did !
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Yay!

Makes me want to go to the range!

VIP Member
    That's great 600 rounds is a good day for sure
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member
    Way to go Bugdude! I'm always impressed with your converting of sheeple.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I think he did, although I was more than ecstatic to help. I'm passionate about our rights and passionate about firearms in general, so any chance I have to influence someone about them is a very exciting opportunity for me. He also greatly appreciates his rights moving to Florida from Illinois, so I believe he will be a strong supporter of getting involved in the 2A from a political action standpoint. As we were leaving the range, he was asking me about "Assault Weapons" and the attempts to ban, etc. Then he said, "I want an AR15 too."

He's a great guy and a quick study, so that just makes it even more enjoyable. I'm proud to be able to help a good guy learn and equip himself with the knowledge and abilities to protect his family and be a responsible gun owner. I'm also proud of helping people see our right to do so is under attack every day and we have to actively protect it. Since I've been at this hospital I've taken 3 physicians to the range that were previously not actively into firearms and now have them really getting into it. I've been to the range with others also that were already into it, but this makes 3 new active armed good guys...2 of which are in my neighborhood!!!
    oneshot and Tzadik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Way to go Bugdude! I'm always impressed with your converting of sheeple.
    In this case, I don't think he was really a sheep. I think he has had this desire and was just living somewhere in which he didn't have the opportunity to pursue it. And also in a profession surrounded by people that in most places (especially within liberal areas) are generally not pro-firearm. That resulted in a general void of knowledge and experience with little resources readily available to pursue it. He moves to Florida, there just happened to be a CME about firearms, and suddenly he finds himself in a position of opportunity and access to a person that can help. The CME accomplished one of my personal goals: To leave people who may have some degree of interest with a thirst to know more. I also had a personal goal to influence those with no personal interest to have a new perspective regarding responsible gun owners. I'm glad he felt comfortable approaching me. I hope others will do the same.
    oneshot and Tzadik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    Making America Safer One Person At A Time.
    Yup. Always the best way to get a deeply-felt convert, based on reality and proofs. See how it's done, experience the difference, dispel the myths. Funny, how easy it can be once the eyes are opened.

PS* Convince him to sign up for NRA, or NAGR

I'm sure he could find a sponsor to do the lifetime membership thing. Wouldn't surprise me if NRA extends the $300 deal, either.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Seems like I average about 1 new shooter a month down here.
    BugDude likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links