So I've finally decided to pay the tax, wait 6 months and buy a silencer...

This is a discussion on So I've finally decided to pay the tax, wait 6 months and buy a silencer... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...I do have a few questions though. Mainly what caliber should I get it for? Ok, so the only gun that I currently own with ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By BadgerJ

Thread: So I've finally decided to pay the tax, wait 6 months and buy a silencer...

...I do have a few questions though. Mainly what caliber should I get it for?

Ok, so the only gun that I currently own with a threaded barrel is my AR. The drawback there is subsonic ammo. I know that they make it but the idea of reducing a bullet's fps from about 3,000 to 1,000 doesn't seem like a good idea.

I could buy a threaded barrel for my Glock 22 or M&P .357...but based on my research a .22 silencer is about half the price of any of the others. The issue there is that I don't currently own a .22lr firearm....I don't really see that as a problem ,however, because I've been planning on buying a Ruger 10/22 for a while now and I'll have ~six months to worry about that. I also want to get a Ruger sr22 and then I could use the can on both. So now I'm leaning towards getting a .22 silencer. So here are my questions:

- Would it make any sense to get a .223/5.56 can and then potentially use it on a .22lr gun also?
    - What's the deal with subsonic .223/5.56 ammo?
    - What particular brands of silencer would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

First off let me add that I was one of those people who never thought I needed a suppressor, and then I worked at a range and caught the bug. I've got a 5.56 Gemtech Halo that I run on my AR periodically and I love it. I run it with regular ammo, and while not as quiet as subsonic would be, it still is very quiet. And it works with any rifle that has an A2 birdcage, not just one that's got a threaded barrel.

Yes, .22lr suppressor's are cheaper. But I've been told I can use a 5.56 suppressor with .22lr, I just haven't tried it yet.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I'm no expert, but here's what I know and have experienced.

Almost any can that will run .223 will run .22. What gets dicey is when the walls close in on a larger round, but the more specific the can is to the caliber the better the performance. At those noise levels it's allot like your taste in wine. Some can tell the difference, and some can't. I can't.

Just make sure that you get one that you can take apart if you're going to use it for .22 on account of how dirty and fouling they are.

I would not worry soo much about performance, because I've shot "the best" next to some more affordable ones, and if there was a 5 or 10 db difference I couldn't tell...

You will pay for ease of interchangability. My full auto/suppressor guy says you should mate the suppressor to the platform, but I think he mostly cares about selling lots of suppressors (he does).

On your AR it will take it down to where you don't need ears, but that's about it, unless you use the subsonic, and you're right it's crap. If it wasn't they would not have created .300 BLK, which is the suppressed, subsonic AR cartridge of our day.

I did what you are contemplating, got a Ruger 22/45, mated it with a sparrow, and couldn't be happier. You will NEVER go shooting again without taking it. It is THAT much fun. The people who don't want one haven't shot one, period.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

RKM
    AS far as I know, you can use suppressors on different calibers, as long as the caliber of the suppressor is equal or bigger to the caliber your shooting. I've seen videos of Hickok45 shooting an AR with a 7.62 suppressor. In turn, I would guess that given the same diameter and threads, a .45ACP suppressor would work on a 9mm.

I bought a threaded barrel for my M&P45 with intentions of suppressing it. I just don't want it badly enough to go through the process. I keep saying, I better do it while I can. I'd like at least one SBR, and a 5.56 suppressor and .45 supressor. $83690734586743856 :(

I'm waiting for my .45 suppressor, and I'm told it won't be here by Christmas. I must have been bad, so I'm hoping to improve my acting by Santa's second check of the list!
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I think its the idea of instant gratification that has prevented me from doing it until now. Nobody likes the idea of paying $500-$1,000 for something that you won't get to play with for 6 months. Especially when its the federal government that is making you wait. I have purchased many guns and have my CCW permit in 2 different states... how much more "checking into my background" can they do?

I've found a few 5.56 cans for $550-650 and I think thats the way I'll go. That way I could run a Ruger SR22 with subsonic ammo for "The ultimate silencer experience" and also use it on my AR for something with a little more power. The Gemtech Trek and AAC Ranger 3 are both roughly $550.

6 Months - more like 8! GL

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordMaster View Post
    I think its the idea of instant gratification that has prevented me from doing it until now. Nobody likes the idea of paying $500-$1,000 for something that you won't get to play with for 6 months. Especially when its the federal government that is making you wait. I have purchased many guns and have my CCW permit in 2 different states... how much more "checking into my background" can they do?
    That's exactly how I feel, 100%. It's ridiculous. I don't understand that. You have the firearm legally owned firearm, yet they need to do a further, more in depth check that takes months. Why? I don't need a background check to buy grips, a new stock, sights, or even ammo. It's simply to sway you into not wanting to deal with the process. That's my thinking. They don't WANT you to own NFA items, so they make them difficult to posses.

For me a .22 would be my first choice. Cheaper to shoot and completely silent are big pluses. Like others in this thread the 200$ tax stamp and 8 month wait have deterred me thus far.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    If only the gubmint would stop watching spy movies, it would be quicker and cheaper. Hitmen don't care if they make noise - they're shooting .22 rounds in the back of the head.
    gasmitty and Hopyard like this.

Senior Moderator
    - Would it make any sense to get a .223/5.56 can and then potentially use it on a .22lr gun also?
    You can if it is user serviceable. A .223 can is going to be bigger and heavier than a .22 can and it will make the gun very front heavy. A .22 can is smaller, lighter and in some cases quieter than a .223 can on a .22.

-
    What's the deal with subsonic .223/5.56 ammo?
    Its just hard to get unless you reload it. Subsonic .223 isn't much more powerful than a .22.

What particular brands of silencer would you recommend?
    I sell all of them. My biggest seller is the Huntertown Guardian, in aluminum for 215 bucks, in stainless 285. They are as quiet as the SilencerCo Sparrow and the Gemtech Outback 2 for a lot cheaper and they come with a lifetime guarantee.
    My second best is the Thompson Machine 5.56's. Thirtys and the ISIS 2 in 9mm. All of them are user serviceable.
    Third best is anything AAC, .5.56's,.308's and 9mm and .45 cans. The .45 Tirant is probably the best .45 can out there but none of the AAC stuff is cheap but very few of them are user serviceable.

FWIW, the human ear cannot distinguish a 3 db difference. Much more than that and it can.

For you cast bullet guys out there, it is absolutely imperative that the can be user serviceable due to the lead, powder and lube fowling.

In my world, most people start out with a .22 can because that's what the shoot the most and that's what a lot of squirrel hunters use. Then, they'll go with a can on their deer rifle. Even though the rounds aren't subsonic most of the time, they still make the rifle "hearing safe" and its more pleasant to shoot. Then, eventually they'll get a center fire pistol can, on a 9mm or a .45.

Nobody ends up with just one.

And it case anyone cares, the ATF has been putting out that due to the fact that most of them have been "sequestered" the wait on a Form 4 approval is approaching a year.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Order the can for a 300blk and while you are waiting go buy a new upper.

I'm glad nothing I wrote was contrary to what Hotguns wrote, because he does sound like an expert, and his evolution of wants and needs pretty much was a bullseye hit on me. I got the .22, next the .45, and I would expect there are a few more in my future depending on how elections go...

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    If only the gubmint would stop watching spy movies, it would be quicker and cheaper. Hitmen don't care if they make noise - they're shooting .22 rounds in the back of the head.
    Yep, like this... a classic!

Fast Pistol Draw - Miami Vice - YouTube (limited due to copyright issues)

Miami Vice Zubiena Reenactment Video Showdown Round 01 - YouTube (re-enactment of the scene)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Yeah...so over the weekend I went to my LGS to pick out the can and then they mentioned the possible 1 year wait. I'm re-rethinking it...again. Damn feds!!!

Links