Sig ultra premature slide lock

This is a discussion on Sig ultra premature slide lock within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I talked to a smith and he showed me where to file the handle. File a part on a $1000 gun! On a high point ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By synx
  • 2 Post By OldVet

Thread: Sig ultra premature slide lock

Sig ultra premature slide lock

I talked to a smith and he showed me where to file the handle. File a part on a $1000 gun! On a high point I'd put it on a bench grinder but not my sig. Sig says send it in well it's mine ocd I guess don't want to do that. I've read a wilson slide release will fix it. Thoughts? I guess I will send it in just don't trust the usps. Could it be a break in issue I have put about 400 rounds through it
    Last edited by deadsexy; September 14th, 2013 at 08:46 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I would put the lifetime warranty to use long before I'd go waste money on aftermarket parts to fix a problem that the factory will take care of for free.
    PEF and Tzadik like this.

VIP Member
    Let sig fix it. After all, it's a $1000 gun, make sig make it right. I've sent guns into manufactures and have been satisfied every time.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Before you send it in, does it lock back with all shooters or just you? Often it is operator thumb error.
    IndianaSig and Drgnfly like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Before you send it in, does it lock back with all shooters or just you? Often it is operator thumb error.
    This.

I am the only one to shoot it but that is a good idea. I will get a few friends to shoot it and try to pay attention to my hold thanks

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Here's something else to check.

The slide lock should be spring-loaded down, and it's pushed up to lock the slide by either the mag follower when empty, by the operator's digits, or on occasion by the cases themselves if the slide lock is misaligned or sometimes out-of-spec mags.

Remove the mag and any rounds, and pull the slide back several times. It should not lock.

Remove the slide and check the slide lock spring tension by gently pressing the slide lock up and releasing. It should drop right back into the down position.

While the slide is removed, insert a loaded mag in the frame and watch the slide lock position as you strip each round from the inserted mag. If the rounds are pushing the slide lock up, you have a problem. If the slide lock doesn't move, no problem.

If it passes all the above, I'd take a serious look at thumb placement during shooting.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links