Best Way to Sell a Firearm

This is a discussion on Best Way to Sell a Firearm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am seriously considering selling my handgun, an FNX 9mm. It's about a year old. What is--in your opinion--is the best path to do it. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Best Way to Sell a Firearm

I am seriously considering selling my handgun, an FNX 9mm. It's about a year old. What is--in your opinion--is the best path to do it. Obviously, I'm looking to get as much as possible, though i know it has already decreased in value. Should I first approach the armory where I bought it? Maybe Gunbroker or Bud's Guns? Anyone ever go that route? Are there other, or better, online dealers or avenues? What about attending a gun show and testing the waters there? Or should I seek out a private buyer? Thanks for your time!

It's been my experience if you deal with a dealer of any type whether private or regular business you're gonna get dinged. You're bound to get more for it selling it to an individual.
    StormRhydr and atctimmy like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

I've bought one privately from an individual.Obviously in S.C. you don't have to do anything.That said,the guy did write up a bill of sale,and i was fine with that.

...being in Joisey, first know your state laws on such, and, from a federal point of view, don't sell to anyone from another state...even if they're family, without going through an FFL in their state...and don't sell to anyone remotely likely to be forbidden to own one...
    ...as far as tactics...sell the sizzle...the reasons why you like the gun...and a common question by a prospective buyer is "If it's so great, why are YOU getting rid of it?"...have an answer...
    ...don't sell too cheap...if the gun's in good shape, sell for at least 75-80 percent of what you paid...guns aren't depreciating much these days...don't take a hit unless you have to to close the deal on a gun you really want...

...and tell us the story...we're watching and waiting with baited breath...or is it bated...depends on which of us it is, I reckon...

Noname762...I have heard that about dealers. But how do you find individuals who are shopping for guns?

Snub44. Like all that you said. In fact, have already cut and pasted your words on to a word document for reference! Appreciate your time and thoughts.
    Snub44 likes this.

You could try going to the Member Buy/Sell/Trade section here or look for a NJ firearm forum and post an ad there. Whatever you do, don't take it to a pawn shop or other dealer as you'll get low-balled to death on it.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    The other advice posted here is good information for you. But you also mentioned Gunbroker.com in your question.

I've had only one (1) transaction through Gunbroker.com and that is as a purchaser, but here is my two cents: From what I've learned thus far if this is your first transaction as a seller you have a rating of NR (not rated.....DUH). When you don't have a track record and feedback from people who have dealt with you it naturally makes folks very cautious about sending money to you. So if you don't intend to be a regular buyer and/or seller on gb.com it probably would be better to look for other ways to sell your gun.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I have both bought & sold on armslist. I have had good luck both in terms of getting decent prices for mine, and in who I have sold, or bought from. Ie no bad characters.

I have sold a couple of guns on gunbroker. I have received good prices both times. I have also sold on gun brand specific sites. For example, I had a Kahr to sell and received a couple of decent offers. But on Kahrtalk, someone was willing to pay more because they were specifically looking for a Kahr.
    rugerista likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I have sold many guns. guns apreciate in value, but what may hurt you is that the same model gun is still on dealers shelfs. If thats the case you may need to take a price cut to ake yours more attractive. What may help you is that guns have been flying off the shelves and your local dealers may not be able to get one like it in a reasonable ammount of time. if thats the case your is worth a premium! Your best tactic may be to take it to a local shop and consign it. They sell it for you for a percentage of the sale price. My guy gets 15%. good Luck, DR

To a good friend you know well...for cash. That's the BEST way. I won't sell privately to someone I don't personally know.
    Sister likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by barbaricbean View Post
    I am seriously considering selling my handgun, an FNX 9mm. It's about a year old. What is--in your opinion--is the best path to do it. Obviously, I'm looking to get as much as possible, though i know it has already decreased in value. Should I first approach the armory where I bought it? Maybe Gunbroker or Bud's Guns? Anyone ever go that route? Are there other, or better, online dealers or avenues? What about attending a gun show and testing the waters there? Or should I seek out a private buyer? Thanks for your time!
    Privately selling a handgun in NJ? Don't mess with it. You have way to many stupid laws to deal with. You will end up in prison. Sell it to an FFL.

Now if you were in my state we could meet in the parking lot. Cash and a handshake later and it's over. But in NJ? You need all kinds of FID's and permits and whatnot. Not worth the risk just to get a little more money out of it.

Private sale is best. Consignment if you can might be good, as was suggested. If you sell it outright to a dealer I'm guessing you may get 50% of the current market value ( not retail). Depending upon whether you have all of the original packaging, accessories, etc. But if you call a dealer they should be able to give you some idea, obviously not binding if they haven't actually seen and inspected the gun.

Armslist.com just ask for w bill of sale fast and easy to move guns
    bigbadsmiles likes this.
    Spring field 1911a1, glock 27, tuarus pt111, colt police revolver 38spl, NAA mini, charter arms undercover .38 spl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links