"Glock: How An Austrian Gun Became An American Icon"

This is a discussion on "Glock: How An Austrian Gun Became An American Icon" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It is now 9:05 am on Sunday, 9/15. I'm watching CBS. Sometime in the next 55 minutes, CBS will air a segment they have titled ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: "Glock: How An Austrian Gun Became An American Icon"

It is now 9:05 am on Sunday, 9/15. I'm watching CBS. Sometime in the next 55 minutes, CBS will air a segment they have titled the same as my title for this thread. The teaser didn't suggest that it will be critical of Glock. We'll see.

This aired at 9:11 am. For a broadcast, liberal media network, it was very well done and surprisingly not slanted against guns, both Glock specifically or in general.

Glock dumped weapons on the market by selling them to LE for basement prices. Build a phony reputation . I can buy any model Glock right now for no more than 350
    They Did like amsoil flooding the internet with planted stories of how great they are.
    The sheep got on board.
    Glock is a good weapon but not that good.
    USM1976, SCXDm9, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Glock dumped weapons on the market by selling them to LE for basement prices. Build a phony reputation . I can buy any model Glock right now for no more than 350
    The Did like amsoil flooding the internet with planted stories of how great they are.
    The sheep got on board.
    Glock is a good weapon but not that good.
    This doesn't have anything to do with the purpose of the thread. The story is that a liberal broadcast network chose to use what few minutes of airtime they have to run a 6-minute segment on Glock and they did so in a way that was informative and not anti-gun at all. That's the topic. What you or anyone else think of the gun couldn't matter less.

I hope some of the members here saw the segment.

VIP Member
    I saw it, and thought it surprisingly objective for MSM.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Will they run this more than once?

Interviewed on this show was Paul Barrett, author of "Glock, The Rise Of America's Gun". I recommend the book as interesting reading for anyone interested in the history of the gun, how it was marketed, and an objective look at Gaston Glock and his company, warts and all.

Here's a link to the story, on CBS News: click.
    tdave, DetChris and Christopher67 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Come On Guys! We're talking about the original Tupperware Gun! Whether you like it or not it was one heck of a marketing ploy! LEOs can't touch any other firearm for the same price. Heck a HK is 3 time the price of the Tupperware and a good 1911 is almost 10 times the price! Even a inexpensive 1911 is 3 times the price of a Glock! Laws of supply and demand!
    DetChris likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    Not knocking Glock, I don't own one, and to be honest have no desire to own one. That said I will admit Glock is a good gun, just not the greatest thing since sliced bread.

How Glock did it was a combination of things:

1. Timing - Glock hit the market when police were looking to upgrade to higher capacity weapons.

2. Marketing - Putting them into the hands of LEO's at a minimal profit, to get them out and recognized.
    - Flood the gun rags and shooting "experts" that work for them with "test guns" for the positive reviews.

3. Hype - "Billy Bob shoots a Glock. He used to shoot a $5,000. race gun, but likes his Glock so much he sold it!" (Of course no one ever met Billy Bob)
    msgt/ret, Oldpsufan, OD* and 1 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Come On Guys! We're talking about the original Tupperware Gun! Whether you like it or not it was one heck of a marketing ploy!
    It was far more than that, of course. Small number of interchangeable parts; simple; very reliable; durable; light; high capacity; fairly compact for the capacity; same interface between all models of the gun; and a relatively low price as compared to many alternatives in the same reliability range. Over the years, I've heard just as much about these other factors than the "Tupperware" feature. Though many makers have jumped on board with the newer materials, most haven't come close to that level of overall benefit in one gun.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It was far more than that, of course. Small number of interchangeable parts; simple; very reliable; durable; light; high capacity; fairly compact for the capacity; same interface between all models of the gun; and a relatively low price as compared to many alternatives in the same reliability range. Over the years, I've heard just as much about these other factors than the "Tupperware" feature. Though many makers have jumped on board with the newer materials, most haven't come close to that level of overall benefit in one gun.
    Exactly. I personally don't want a Glock but there is no denying the brilliance of the design and the business savvy of the Glock family in positioning it as the #1 handgun in the worldwide market. It's unfortunate that some who have posted did not see the CBS segment, as the on-air piece was different and better than the version on their website. Want a Glock or not, no one could disagree with the info presented in their news story. It is what it is.
    DetChris likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    While I do not own or carry a Glock. What I see being a big plus for them is they will do the job needed of anyone and when the cops take it from you after the shooting and you don't get it back you have not lost what most call a life saves in the deal. You just go buy another one and you are good to go. Also the after market is there for most anything you would like to change or want to add.

At my age I'm not likely to change my EDC but if I was just starting today I'd most likely go with the G19 and learn to like it. If you are in type of armed service occupation you most likely are issued and weapon. Even if you don't like it and are serious about being able to use it you learn to like it and it's ways.

But to the OP it's good to see the media getting it right once in awhile. Just report the fact...I'll decide!
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I thought it was an accurate depiction of how Glock has become what it is today. Glock obviously fills a niche, apparently a very large one.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Here's a link to the story, on CBS News: click.
    Thanks for the link. I do carry a Glock not EDC I prefer 2 revolvers but if I carry one gun say driving through New Mexico it's Glock.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links