Picking one for shtf use.

This is a discussion on Picking one for shtf use. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have two platforms that work for me: the Glock and the Walther PPQ M2. I am going to be choosing one platform ultimately as ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Picking one for shtf use.

I have two platforms that work for me: the Glock and the Walther PPQ M2. I am going to be choosing one platform ultimately as a shtf platform and buying multiples of said pistol. Parts and magazines will be stocked up on as well. What say you?

Ruger MK111 / 10/22
    Tzadik likes this.

Administrator
    If your asking which one of those two, hands down the Glock will be much easier to accomplish that goal with.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    Maybe I'm ignorant about this, but isn't a 12G shotgun a good for everything gun? What about an AR?

Educate me! Should I pick my .40 with 2 mags instead of the shotgun or ar?
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Get the Glock. It's way easier to find replacement parts. Also magazines are way cheaper for the Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

As much as I like the Walther PPQ-M2 I think it doesn't have the ammo capacity not only of the Glock but even it's own PPX carries more ammo per magazine. and then to change the magazine compatability so you have to buy M2 Magazines, was beyond me. It's a neat design and i am sure Walther put a lot of German No How into it. But it is about ten years behind Glock in availibilty of after market parts. Sorry I myself am not a Glock fanboy, but this is a MISMATCH.... Glock wins by a KO !

New Member Array Semper_Fidelis's Avatar
    Out of those two for a STHF situation it would be the Glock by far.

Benelli M4 would definitely be my 'go to'. Top Shot: Glock 34 - YouTube

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Distinguished Member
    I have redundancy of calibers in firearms, but not the same firearm. Should a SHTF scenario really happen I don't think we're going to have to worry too much about having parts to fix a firearm. My favorite author, philosopher and comedian Joe deBunker once said "If the SHTF our a$$e$ won't be far behind". good luck
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Help me out here. In a SHTF scenario, my understanding is that our Government, economy or both have collapsed and law and order is what you make it. If the laws regarding guns are null and void and we are not restrained by carry permits and FOID cards, I would pick a reliable brand of tactical shot-gun with an 18" barrel and highest capacity I could find. I'd feed it with 00 buck and/or slugs and turkey shot for light work. Less worry about accuracy and over penetration. In a pinch you could hunt most edible beasts and get rid of rodents. You could use it as a cane or a crowbar. If things calm down you could stick it in the ground and plant tomatoes on it. For everything else, a Glock 19.

While handguns are fun, when trouble's expected, anything less than a shotgun is playing dangerous games!
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by all357mag View Post
    While handguns are fun, when trouble's expected, anything less than a shotgun is playing dangerous games!
    I would agree that a handgun is less necessary than a long gun. A shotgun is most versatile, but you can't beat the capacity and lighter ammo of a rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

If shtf, I would want a Glock. I can feed empty brass through my Glock, therefore, any ammo I find while rummaging through the ruins should work fine.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

WROL, SHTF, LHEAWKI etc.. Ar15->pump shotgun->9mm handgun..
    Use either, because if the world ends, nobody is going to ready for it, some will be better off than others and man is a tanacious beast but all your preps would be a bucket of water against a forest fire of problems.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Glock is a natural choice, but I'd avoid putting all my eggs into one basket.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links