Who here has had a hang fire?

This is a discussion on Who here has had a hang fire? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I mean do they honestly still happen with modern firearms and ammo? Who here has had a hang fire or seen one???...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Who here has had a hang fire?

I mean do they honestly still happen with modern firearms and ammo? Who here has had a hang fire or seen one???

Nope.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Negative, Sir!
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    Not here either.

I've had a couple of sqibs. I waited a minute with the pistol pointed down range and fortunately nothing happened .I then cleared the chamber.I was lucky that these occurred during slow fire,otherwise I might have fired the round after the squib.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Never.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

No, only time I've ever seen it is on this semi-famous youtube video that I first saw in my CWC. Man almost shoots himself in head - YouTube

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by american23 View Post
    I mean do they honestly still happen with modern firearms and ammo? Who here has had a hang fire or seen one???
    I've had a couple with surplus soviet bloc 7.62x25mm Tokarev ammo and my old Chinese TT33
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Had one when I was in the military. Scared the @#$@ out of me when it went off about 10 seconds after I pulled the trigger. good thing the muzzle was were it was suppose to be.

Had a guy beside me have a squib that he didn't notice. He was a left also and ended up in the hospital with some pretty good facial lacerations.

Yes- Colt Detective in 38spl.

I can't say for certain but I got it for a song and believe someone had done a "trigger job" to the old gun making the hammer too light.

I gave it to a friend who was down with knee surgery as a project in his spare time.

I had one several weeks ago shooting American Eagle 180 grain .40 S&W. it went off a second or so after pulling the trigger. It was a first for me.

VIP Member
    Nada...

Yep, with old ammunition which is the most common source for hang-fires that I've experienced.

These were found in a box of junk I'd acquired from who-knows-where. Ancient, pre-war Winchester .38 Special except for perhaps the Winchester Western Super-X and I'm not certain it couldn't have been pre-war as well. Fired over the chronograph just for grins. Two fired normally, one was a hang-fire, and two were duds. The hang-fire didn't give a solid report but rather a sizzle sound and then a cough. The bullet struck the ground about 50 yards down range from where I was sitting at the 100-yard rifle bench rests. Looked for all the world like the slug been shot from a sling shot.
    CIBMike likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have had to deal with hang fires & squibs, both while TRO Trooper. Most seemed to be in the handguns, but e/one was taught what to do during classroom training.
    It has always amazed me how few there actually were with going through 20k rounds per month, minimum. Recruits, quals, re-quals, special training.
    Probably only saw 5-6 real hang-fires in 40 years. Most turned out to be FTFs.
    I had some hot-dogs that loved to play with the M16s, MP5s & rapid fire the semis, but in my 6+ years of range duty, every squib was caught... a miracle, there.

One hang-fire took about 9 seconds. It happened to a new recruit who set it down, facing downrange, and had stepped a full pace back (per training).
    I gave that youngster a safety commendation for that one.
    Good name-brand duty ammo, but just a 1 in 2 million+ thing. I saw that one, but never had one myself. (the other 4-5 were only ~2 second delays).

Each firearm they happened in were immediately pulled from service and sent to the armorer in the arsenal. Cause was ammo, faulty firearm or dirty firearm. If the armorer couldn't make a positive determination, the entire weapon was destroyed.

I almost saw a Ka-Boom once, after I retired, on a Glock 32 with good 'range-grade' ammo. I was about 20 feet away, looking at something else, but got to see the pistol (messed up) and the shooter shook up a bit, but uninjured. The ammo lot no. was pulled & the Glock sent to Atlanta, never heard back, but the ammo always gets blamed.

Have had one. Brand new box of WWB in .40. Just figured a bad one got through QC check and was a fluke. That was over a year ago. Thankfully at the range under controlled circumstances.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - T. Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links