Nw little girl - needs some action

Nw little girl - needs some action

This is a discussion on Nw little girl - needs some action within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK - Hopefully I got your attention. First I want to sincerely thank the more than 2 dozen people who who responded to my threads: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Nw little girl - needs some action

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    2,671

    Wink Nw little girl - needs some action

    OK - Hopefully I got your attention.

    First I want to sincerely thank the more than 2 dozen people who who responded to my threads: What is This S&W Lock Thing and How to Deal on Gunbroker.com. You were terrific!

    I did find a S&W Model 60-9 SS .357 (manufactured in the very late 60's I think) that looked really nice on GB and took all your advice. It was really nerve wracking toward the end of the auction when a couple new bidders jumped in but my husband stood by my side and when I was hesitant about spending THAT much money kept saying, "if you really want it, keep bidding". (I handle our finances so he can be really helpful when it comes to spending more money than I think I should......)

    Anyway - SHE ARRIVED TODAY to join her big sister - my 686 .357. The folks at Habitat even let me leave my volunteer shift an hour early so I could dash to my LGS and pick her up. Back home, Hubby took her upstairs and got her all shined up and beautiful. Unfortunately she is a S&W and I can hardly pull the trigger.

    We sent my 686 to S&W for a trigger job and it came back worse than it was out of the box. Then we spent more money and sent it to Magnaport and it is a true dream to shoot. That was several years ago.

    The gunsmith at our LGS told me this model is not made to shoot any easier. He said the only problem is that she's been a safe queen for too long. I really don't believe that because the 686 was about the same when I got it new. SO what I need to know now is:

    What is the best place to send this new baby for a really good action job so I will have a little carry gun that is really smooth with a light trigger pull? I would like to get it done in less than 6 months if that is possible in this day and age.

    You are a terrific bunch of folks! Once again, your good advice will be much appreciated!
    DontTreadOnI and GhostMaker like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

    ==================

    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array Snub44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,575
    ...your M60 was introduced in .357 in around 1996...and the springs in the snubs are notoriously tough...I'd order Wolfe springs and a bottle of Gun Butter...I can't recommend a good gunsmith...
    Taurahe, msgt/ret, Sister and 1 others like this.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    11,248
    Probably the number one complaint about S&W J-frames, especially newer ones, is the trigger. I got my wife a nice little M63 (22/32 Kit Gun) but it does have a stiff DA pull, and as a new shooter she's not used to using an index finger that way so it was tiring for her. I spoke with Kent Singletary, a S&W specialist here in the Phoenix area. He said that J-frames are less tunable than the bigger S&Ws, and any significant reduction in trigger pull (e.g., via lighter springs) can result in unreliable ignition. Which is not to say the trigger can't be improved, but it will never approach that of your 686.

    Coincidentally, the current edition of American Handgunner fielded a similar question from a reader. Editor Roy Huntington, answered "I recommend caution when it comes to slicking the [J-frame] actions up. The lightweight hammer needs speed to reliably make the primers fire and lightening the main spring and trigger-return spring will often slow the hammer enough to make [reliability] an iffy-thing. ... I recommend leaving it alone, but squirt a bit of good oil into the action and simply dry-fire it hundreds (thousands even) of times. ... You'll find simply allowing the action to seat itself will smooth things up amazingly."

    I suggest giving that a try, and if it's still not to your liking, I would either talk to folks who compete in USPSA, IDPA, etc. in the revolver division who works on S&W locally, OR get in touch with Cylinder & Slide in Fremont, NE, and see what they can do for you.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array NONAME762's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    About 235M out of The Palouse WA
    Posts
    8,660
    The only action in NoNameVille is inaction.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    2,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...your M60 was introduced in .357 in around 1996...and the springs in the snubs are notoriously tough...I'd order Wolfe springs and a bottle of Gun Butter...I can't recommend a good gunsmith...
    Thanks for the suggestion
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

    ==================

    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array Easy8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    N FT Myers, FL
    Posts
    3,143
    image.jpg I still hear good things about Magnaport, Gemini Custom did my 60 an wifes 642 they do great work trigger is like butter in DA an breaks clean at 3 lbs on SA really sweet. Make sure they polish the trigger face an round off the trigger my wife loves that easy on her finger makes range time much more enjoyable

  7. #7
    VIP Member Array blitzburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Coastal SC
    Posts
    3,738
    Really love those grips, Easy8. Who made them?
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

  8. #8
    VIP Member Array ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    2,671
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I spoke with Kent Singletary, a S&W specialist here in the Phoenix area. He said that J-frames are less tunable than the bigger S&Ws, and any significant reduction in trigger pull (e.g., via lighter springs) can result in unreliable ignition. Which is not to say the trigger can't be improved, but it will never approach that of your 686.

    Coincidentally, the current edition of American Handgunner fielded a similar question from a reader. Editor Roy Huntington, answered "I recommend caution when it comes to slicking the [J-frame] actions up. The lightweight hammer needs speed to reliably make the primers fire and lightening the main spring and trigger-return spring will often slow the hammer enough to make [reliability] an iffy-thing. ... I recommend leaving it alone, but squirt a bit of good oil into the action and simply dry-fire it hundreds (thousands even) of times. ... You'll find simply allowing the action to seat itself will smooth things up amazingly."

    I suggest giving that a try, and if it's still not to your liking, I would either talk to folks who compete in USPSA, IDPA, etc. in the revolver division who works on S&W locally, OR get in touch with Cylinder & Slide in Fremont, NE, and see what they can do for you.
    That is most interesting because it's almost the same thing the gunsmith at our LGS store told me this afternoon. In fact, he said that he would have to charge me "a lot of money" (unspecified amount) and it might not make enough difference to make me happy with the way the gun worked. But the guy sort of rubbed me the wrong way for some unknown reason.

    To me gunsmiths are like people doctors - you have to have rapport with them and a feeling of trust, or find someone else. That's why I did this post here.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

    ==================

    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array Easy8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    N FT Myers, FL
    Posts
    3,143
    Biltzburgh, those are black an white ebony from gemini they really custom fit to your gun feel great look great, they also did the grips on my SP

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array Easy8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    N FT Myers, FL
    Posts
    3,143
    Its hard to find a good gun smith for revolvers all the good ones are backed up for months. I always used actions by T , Teddy Jacobson in Texas but he is getting on in years an does not take new customers much he handles LEO,s an military, Gemini is very good great action work just real busy. Cylinder an slide has a very good reputation. Local gun store guys are fine for sights an minor work most do not have the expertise for action work. A good gunsmith might take 3 to 5 hours on a revolver to get it smooth an reliable. Most just want to drop n springs an call it a day.

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    2,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    I still hear good things about Magnaport, Gemini Custom did my 60 an wifes 642 they do great work trigger is like butter in DA an breaks clean at 3 lbs on SA really sweet. Make sure they polish the trigger face an round off the trigger my wife loves that easy on her finger makes range time much more enjoyable
    WOW - and double Wow. That is one gorgeous gun. Thanks for sharing. Not wanting to spend that kind of bucks on top of what I had to pay for the gun itself, but if I did I'd go for that type of deluxe treatment, for sure!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

    ==================

    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

  12. #12
    VIP Member Array Easy8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    N FT Myers, FL
    Posts
    3,143
    You do not have to go all out, just get action job about 170.00

  13. #13
    VIP Member
    Array Echo_Four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Land of the mostly free
    Posts
    2,848
    Honestly, S&W triggers are what they are. New they can seem problematic for many shooters. The best solution is to ensure the thing is properly lubricated and to get as many trigger pulls as possible through the thing. After I picked up my 642 a few years back I would sit and press the trigger while watching television or surfing the net. You just have to ensure that no ammunition is available that could somehow sneak into the gun and be sure you're pointed in a safe direction (For me it is a fireplace with a kevlar pad to ensure that if it does go bang for some reason the bullet remains on this side of the great unknown beyond my walls.)

    After a couple weeks of pulling the trigger it was so much better than new that it was hard to recognize as being the same gun.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

  14. #14
    VIP Member Array ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    2,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Honestly, S&W triggers are what they are. New they can seem problematic for many shooters. The best solution is to ensure the thing is properly lubricated and to get as many trigger pulls as possible through the thing. After a couple weeks of pulling the trigger it was so much better than new that it was hard to recognize as being the same gun.
    Yeah, I've been pulling the trigger from time to time all evening. My finger is swollen to half again its size and I feel like it might fall off before morning. I tried to get my husband to do a few hundred pulls for me but he quit after a couple dozen. This being old is for the birds!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

    ==================

    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

  15. #15
    VIP Member Array Snub44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,575
    ...he sounds like a vacuum cleaner salesman to me!!! go with your gut feeling!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    That is most interesting because it's almost the same thing the gunsmith at our LGS store told me this afternoon. In fact, he said that he would have to charge me "a lot of money" (unspecified amount) and it might not make enough difference to make me happy with the way the gun worked. But the guy sort of rubbed me the wrong way for some unknown reason.

    To me gunsmiths are like people doctors - you have to have rapport with them and a feeling of trust, or find someone else. That's why I did this post here.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •