Couldnt buy a rifle today at Wally World... (out of state)

This is a discussion on Couldnt buy a rifle today at Wally World... (out of state) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a Florida resident with a Florida CWP, however I recently graduated with a Doctorate in Physical Therapy and took a traveling rotation in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Couldnt buy a rifle today at Wally World... (out of state)

Couldnt buy a rifle today at Wally World... (out of state)

I am a Florida resident with a Florida CWP, however I recently graduated with a Doctorate in Physical Therapy and took a traveling rotation in Mississippi (4 months). While here I found a really nice Colt 6920 Socom AR-15 for a very nice price at WM and decided to pull the trigger. The lady at the counter informed me the Florida residents are NOT able to purchase a long gun in the state of Mississippi. .. . .

Ok, so I know we can not purchase a handgun out of state, but I was under the impression that as long as the gun you are trying to purchase is legal in both states, you should be good. Florida being very gun friendly, and Mississippi being gun friendly.. I did not think there would be an issue... but there was.

I also confirmed this by calling another WM in Mississippi, and they told me the same thing. Now I am not sure if this is a WM thing or a state law thing, but either way it really ticked me off.

I find it really strange that I am allowed to CC a handgun in this state, but I cannot purchase a long gun. Something seems wrong.....

2. Remove Ads

It has to be a bordering state for long guns,handguns can only be purchased in state of residency.Since Mississippi does not border your state then you would have to have it shipped to an FFL in your state of residency
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    It has to be a bordering state for long guns,handguns can only be purchased in state of residency.Since Mississippi does not border your state then you would have to have it shipped to an FFL in your state of residency
    I've read that, and i've read that so long as the rifle is legal in both states it is a non issue. I am not saying it's wrong, I would just like some clarification because I keep reading two different stories.
    rigel42 likes this.

In SC, you're able to buy long guns with a PA (and a list of other states) licenses.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Fed law allows for long gun sales from any state but some states add additional restrictions such as it must be an adjoining state or other such handicaps. My Guess is Florida has something in the books that restricts long gun sales. It could be something as simple as a state requiring a "X" number of day waiting period.

EDIT TO ADD:

Just found out that until 2011 Florida restricted long gun sales to contiguous states.

Florida Statute 790.28
    790.28 Purchase of rifles and shotguns in contiguous states.—A resident of this state may purchase a rifle or shotgun in any state contiguous to this state if he or she conforms to applicable laws and regulations of the United States, of the state where the purchase is made, and of this state.
    History.—s. 1, ch. 79-44; s. 1219, ch. 97-102.
    Seems it was repealed in 2011 and Wally World May not have updated their restrictions.
    USM1976 likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Of course, it could be a state law in Mississippi.
    rigel42 likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    In SC, you're able to buy long guns with a PA (and a list of other states) licenses.
    ...in SC you can drive backwards without a license plate.....

No rules, just right!
    mkh and bmcgilvray like this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Fed law allows for long gun sales from any state but some states add additional restrictions such as it must be an adjoining state or other such handicaps. My Guess is Florida has something in the books that restricts long gun sales. It could be something as simple as a state requiring a "X" number of day waiting period.

EDIT TO ADD:

Just found out that until 2011 Florida restricted long gun sales to contiguous states.

Florida Statute 790.28

Seems it was repealed in 2011 and Wally World May not have updated their restrictions.

This is what I thought, it seems that Wally World's restrictions are outdated.. however trying to explain that to the person working at the counter I feel like will get me absolutely nowhere :/

Go to Cabela's. I have purchased guns from them. I have a FL ID and live in WI and purchased the guns in WI using a FL id. Never questioned it. I filled out the computer info, paid them and walked out with the rifles on 2 occasions.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kriller1217 View Post
    I am a Florida resident with a Florida CWP, however I recently graduated with a Doctorate in Physical Therapy and took a traveling rotation in Mississippi (4 months). While here I found a really nice Colt 6920 Socom AR-15 for a very nice price at WM and decided to pull the trigger. The lady at the counter informed me the Florida residents are NOT able to purchase a long gun in the state of Mississippi. .. . .

Ok, so I know we can not purchase a handgun out of state, but I was under the impression that as long as the gun you are trying to purchase is legal in both states, you should be good. Florida being very gun friendly, and Mississippi being gun friendly.. I did not think there would be an issue... but there was.

I also confirmed this by calling another WM in Mississippi, and they told me the same thing. Now I am not sure if this is a WM thing or a state law thing, but either way it really ticked me off.

I find it really strange that I am allowed to CC a handgun in this state, but I cannot purchase a long gun. Something seems wrong.....
    Being that it's Wal-Mart, can they do an interstate product transfer to allow you to buy the rifle in your home state from your local store?

PS congrats on the degree. My sister has her PhD in PT as well (from Univ of Puget Sound) (sp)
    Last edited by GlassWolf; September 18th, 2013 at 12:08 PM.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    PS congrats on the degree. My sister has her PhD in PT as well (from Univ of Pugit Sound)
    Actually that's spelled PUGET Sound.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    My understanding (and it may be very wrong) is that this is an individual state thing. TX forbids us from buying long guns
    except in adjacent states. Apparently FL has a similar rule judging from the thread content. I've been given to understand that
    not all states have the same prohibition on their residents purchase of long guns outside the state.

A specific example-- I had several talks with CT FFL because I wanted to purchase a shotgun. Nope, no can do, because I'm from TX. He said my son, a resident of PA could purchase. Similarly, or conversely, I asked a TX FFL if someone from
    CT could buy a shotgun in TX. They answer to me was, yes.

I'm not sure any of them know what they are talking about or what the law really is, but those are answers I've personally received.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Actually that's spelled PUGET Sound.
    Wow. Really?

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Dunno about a Florida resident in Mississippi, but I do know that a Louisiana resident can purchase long guns in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Actually that's spelled PUTRID Sound.
    Actually I don't care. I can't stand my sister, or most of that state, as it's filled to the brim with grammar-nazi progressive liberals who have nothing better to do than troll the Internet. :)
    SIXTO and Stoveman like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links