Negligent Discharge While at the Gun Shop Today

This is a discussion on Negligent Discharge While at the Gun Shop Today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I stopped by a shop today over my lunch hour to pick up some ammo and see what's in the displays. A worker is handling ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Negligent Discharge While at the Gun Shop Today

Negligent Discharge While at the Gun Shop Today

I stopped by a shop today over my lunch hour to pick up some ammo and see what's in the displays. A worker is handling an AR behind the counter and to my right about 10 feet away. Suddenly, ***POP*** and the distinct ear ringing of a nearby shot without hearing protection. There's maybe 3 customers in the store including myself and 3 people behind the counter who look his way as he's staring at the AR in disbelief and anger. We asked if he was alright, he asks us the same, apologizes for what just happened then starts cursing himself for being so careless.

A few things that occurred to me immediately:
    -Why did the customer bring a loaded gun into the shop for service?
    -Why wasn't the worker handling the gun observing BASIC rules like safety checking the gun first and keeping his finger away from the trigger? Just plain stupid.
    -Thank goodness he was at least pointing the gun down and (generally) toward the back of the store.

Needless to say, I won't be stepping foot into this shop ever again.

I'm a newbie, but I saw first hand today how quickly an accident can happen if we don't remember the basics.

2. Remove Ads

That would be enough for me to take my money elsewhere.
    Drgnfly and BenGoodLuck like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Now do you understand why gun stores have the "No Loaded Firearms" signs? It's not for the CC'ers, it's for the idiots--once last chance to make sure that gun they're carrying in is empty.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

...the first thing I do when someone hands me a weapon is to clear it...the last thing I do before I hand someone a weapon is to clear it...no exceptions...every time...this is inexcusable...

A few things that occurred to me immediately:
    -Why did the customer bring a loaded gun into the shop for service?
    -Why wasn't the worker handling the gun observing BASIC rules like safety checking the gun first and keeping his finger away from the trigger?
    -Thank goodness he was at least pointing the gun down and (generally) toward the back of the store.
    I've always wondered by (a) signs on the front doors aren't posted specifying ONLY STAFF will handle firearms brought in for servicing or sale, and (b) staff will ALWAYS be the ones to touch the cased/bagged weapons upon arrival at the shop, always going through the standard clearing procedure at a safe "clearing" spot designated for that activity.

Have asked several shop managers about this, when I've not seen these basic steps done. Have been mightily impressed by the few shops I have used where they religiously follow these two basic steps. IMO, it can sidestep a lot of grief. Won't catch everything, of course, but it'll sidestep much.
    tcox4freedom and mook012 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The 4 rules are there for a reason. Either people need to follow them, or they need to find a different Hobby....Just stupid....
    Sarge65, Ghost1958 and welder516 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Doesn't cost much to set up a few 5 gal buckets filled with sand every x ft behind the counter as well.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Unbelievable. More fuel for the anti's if they were to get wind of that incident.

How could that happen in of all places, a gun shop? Idiots.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

VIP Member
    Funny thing about the 4 rules, if you screw one up you'll usually be OK. Two and you have a good chance of being OK. Beyond that and you're in trouble. At least he had the gun pointed in a safe direction, though from the sound of it that is a happy circumstance and not an intentional act.
    Snub44 and Ghost1958 like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

When I first started working with my Son with firearms, I told him that Rule 1 was that there were no unloaded guns. Drilling that into him. And telling him how virtually every day people were shot with "unloaded guns".

As we went on, Id tell him something like OK, its unloaded, and hand him the gun. Then stand there and watch him. He naturally wanted to take my word for it that it was unloaded, then would catch himself, stop, and check to insure that the weapon was indeed unloaded/clear. I wanted him to know to NEVER take someone elses word for it that a gun was unloaded.

I went over all the other gun safety/handling rules with him, too, of course. But thought that one was extra important.

That's some kind of pucker factor for lunch hour.
    357and40 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

If you shoot long and hard enough you will see stuff like this. Even long time shooters who train others and write about guns, have had this happen. After handling guns so often you get too used to them much like guys who work on high towers and stop taking all the safety percautions they used to take. Hey, I walked from here to there 5,000 without any problems so what are the odds that today I will need a safety belt.
    USM1976 and Bigsteve113 like this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

At the LGS that I frequent, not too long ago I watched 2 guys come in a few minutes apart, both with bolt rifles and each were closed up tight. And this, even with the big sign on the entrance door. I guess there are just those people out there that are just too cool for all them there rules.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    When I first started working with my Son with firearms, I told him that Rule 1 was that there were no unloaded guns. Drilling that into him. And telling him how virtually every day people were shot with "unloaded guns".

As we went on, Id tell him something like OK, its unloaded, and hand him the gun. Then stand there and watch him. He naturally wanted to take my word for it that it was unloaded, then would catch himself, stop, and check to insure that the weapon was indeed unloaded/clear. I wanted him to know to NEVER take someone elses word for it that a gun was unloaded.

I went over all the other gun safety/handling rules with him, too, of course. But thought that one was extra important.
    +1. I've said it before and I'll say it again... I don't care who you are. My mother, father, God, the pope, whoever - if you tell me it's clear, I'm checking for myself (as taught).
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    An acquaintance of mine whom I've shot with at the range a few times works at a local gun store. A customer brought in a CO2 BB pistol that he claimed didn't work. She checked it, determined the cartridge was faulty, replaced the cartridge and handed it back to the customer who promptly shot her in the chest. Now, imagine if it was his .45 that wasn't "working!"
    Snub44 and Ghost1958 like this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links