New M&P Shield 9mm, slide not locking back after firing last round?

This is a discussion on New M&P Shield 9mm, slide not locking back after firing last round? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; New weapon with only about 150 rounds through it. Been extensively cleaned, oiled and greased 3 times between 50 round sessions, so I can't think ...

New weapon with only about 150 rounds through it. Been extensively cleaned, oiled and greased 3 times between 50 round sessions, so I can't think its a maintenance issue (i'm very diligent with cleaning and lubricating). I've tried 3 different magazines, my final 3 of today, and the slide didn't lock back on any of them after the final round fired (and all fired fine). I haven't taken apart the mags yet but since its happened with 3 different ones and consecutively, I don't think thats the problem. I've read that this is could be a grip issue, as in putting pressure on the slide lock when firing, but this is not happening in my case. Anybody else experience this?

I used to have this problem, until I realized my grip was keeping the slide-stop depressed.

It seems like you have thought of this already, but at first I thought the same; I wasn't obstructing it's operation. Turns out I was. The grip angle feels so natural and consistent with the larger M&Ps that the slimmer width can really throw you off at first.

Maybe take a second (or third) check of your hand placement during firing, and if your grip is shifting during strings of fire.
    British by birth. American by choice.

I've fired about 20 magazines with this gun and this has only happened with the final 3 magazines and nothing has really changed with my grip.

Did you use different ammo with the last 3 mags?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    I used to have this problem, until I realized my grip was keeping the slide-stop depressed.
    It seems like you have thought of this already, but at first I thought the same; I wasn't obstructing it's operation. Turns out I was. The grip angle feels so natural and consistent with the larger M&Ps that the slimmer width can really throw you off at first.

Maybe take a second (or third) check of your hand placement during firing, and if your grip is shifting during strings of fire.
    My thumbs forward grip was obstructing the slide lock also. I actually thought something was wrong with the gun , adjusted my grip slightly has worked ever since. Just took it to the range today before work and it ran like a champ. I have to hold the shield different than I do my G26.

Did you use different ammo with the last 3 mags?
    Same ammo. Weird problem. Maybe my grip did change the last 3 mags? Thats the only thing I can think of. I wasn't paying attention to that until doing a little preliminary research. I just find it hard to fathom that my grip would change during the same hour of continuous shooting. I was working on drawing fast and getting a high grip so maybe I gripped too high and my thumb got in the way. Will try it out again in a couple days....

I was getting random "failures", but it turned out that slight variations in grip were indeed enough to interfere with the slide stop.

That's all I can think of if all the parts are working correctly (not many parts to involved with the slide stop) and the ammo was consistent.

I was getting random "failures", but it turned out that slight variations in grip were indeed enough to interfere with the slide stop.

That's all I can think of if all the parts are working correctly (not many parts to involved with the slide stop) and the ammo was consistent.
    The ammo is all the same, yes (Remington UMC Luger 9mm).

Probably just fatigued by the end of the range session, and resting your thumb where it shouldn't be. If you're gripping it hard and your thumb is resting on or slightly above the slide stop, the recoil is probably pushing it into your thumb for a split second cause it to fail to lock back.

Try shooting it "thumbs up" next time and see if it still happens.

Possibly and I'm hoping thats what it is. I'm definitely going to test it "thumbs up" first thing I do at my range visit.

Personally I would never own a personal defense weapon the could have a failure like that just because of how you grip the gun. Will we have the perfect grip when we need to use it to defend our selves or wife or kids?
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Quote Originally Posted by donp326 View Post
    Personally I would never own a personal defense weapon the could have a failure like that just because of how you grip the gun. Will we have the perfect grip when we need to use it to defend our selves or wife or kids?
    Better get rid of all of your semi-autos then, because that is exactly what will happen if you push down the slide lock when firing the last round.

I'll happily take that CZ off your hands, I could use another.

>Better get rid of all of your semi-autos then, because that is exactly what will happen if you push down the slide lock when firing the last round.<

Sorry not for sale I am left handed but eve right handed my thumb comes nowhere near the slide lock release. My guess it is the small size of the grip on these compact small guns that creates the issue. It forces the hand higher on the grip than it should be. My CZ is a pre B all steel full size gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by donp326; September 20th, 2013 at 07:57 AM.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Links