Advice on ammo needed

This is a discussion on Advice on ammo needed within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm new to the world of firearms and the terminology that comes along with it, so please bear with me. I'm open to suggestions and ...

Thread: Advice on ammo needed

Question Advice on ammo needed

I'm new to the world of firearms and the terminology that comes along with it, so please bear with me. I'm open to suggestions and want to learn as much as I can, as fast as I can. Basically I have pretty much been forced to "level the playing field" as far as my neighborhood goes, by arming myself and my household.
    Seems as though the bad guys are leaving the big cities and carrying their bad habits and crime with them to smaller rural areas. I carry a Ruger SP101 and would like to know what would be the best type or brand of ammo to fire through it. It's a .357 that also shoots .38Special and .38+P.
    The closest firing range around here is about 80 miles away and I haven't had the opportunity to fire this gun but on one occasion. I used ammo (.38+p) that they sold at the range, made by Winchester and after a few rounds the chambers became filled with so much gunk, I could barely fit .357 rounds in the chamber.
    I'm open for suggestions and advice from all seasoned gun owners. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
    Last edited by Cherokee; December 3rd, 2006 at 10:07 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the family.
    First,get a good cleaning kit. Make sure to get all of the lead and carbon cleaned out before you shoot again. 38 lead buildup in 357 chambers can cause big problems (think kaboom).
    Buy snap caps asap so that you can work on trigger pull in btw trips to range. If you can't find snap caps, a bb gun in the yard/basement serves the same purpose (trigger control/sight picture)
    I started new shooters w/ revolvers on .38spl wadcutters in single action to start. This will help w/basic marksmanship skills before begining double action shooting.
    Then move up to 38spl+P;try 110gr JHP before going heavier,say 125gr+P.
    When you are comfortable and proficient w/basic shooting skills w/+P, try 110gr JHP magnum rounds before moving up to 125 or heavier.
    Never bothered w/+P+;never saw the point,just shot lite magnums f/training. You get used to the noise/muzzle flash this way and don't have the lead ring in the chamber to deal w/during maint.
    If you plan to carry;get a good holster and practice drawing w/EMPTY gun,then snap caps. No cowboy stuff,just basic draw;point,shoot. Then do this VERY SLOWLY at range w/live ammo.
    Think of this in terms of driving. You move a car in a parking lot to learn the basics. Then you go out in the street to learn about traffic. Then you drive on the expressway only when you are ready and not a hazard to those around you.
    Stay Safe.

I

Ditto on the above suggestions for ammo. Any .357 revolver can handle .357 and .38sp ammo. That's nice, since it allows for a range of choices.

The Ruger SP101 is reasonably heavy, for smaller revolvers, hence it handles stout +P and .357 rounds fairly well. Snubbie (2") barrel length, yes? It'll kick in .357, to be sure. Work up to that, as you can't stop what you can't hit.

You can choose between lead bullets or jacketed. A jacketed (or even semi-jacketed) bullet helps protect against much of the lead fouling that otherwise occurs. In the case of jacketed bullets, you'll get a bit of copper fouling. In all cases, you'll get powder fouling. A variety of solvents are available to help clean out the mess.

On cleaning a revolver, this is a reasonable summary: click here.

On cleaning, I generally clean within the week if I'm going to be shooting soon, otherwise immediately following every range session. Not only does a cleaning regimen remove the crud, but it also protects the parts of the gun from damage, rust/decay. It's important to do this frequently, even every time you shoot ... particularly on something you're betting your life on.

My arsenal of cleaning items, these days, includes the following:
    • Break Free CLP spray, for general removal of crud/grease.
    • Hoppe's #9, if fouling is particularly bad.
    • Brass brushes, nylon brushes, patches + jig ... to remove the fouling once broken down by the cleaners.
    • A bore snake. I use one dry, for cleaning the bore; and one lightly lubed with oil, for final prep.
    • A good oil, such as Militec-1, Remington Oil, Hoppe's oil.
    • A good gun cloth, to wipe down the outside surfaces, for removal of fingerprints.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Great advice above! When the time comes to shoot .357 Magnum in your SP101, give Remington 125-grain Golden Saber .357 a try. It is one of the lighter .357 loadings, like mentioned above, yet I believe most find it to be an effective cartridge.

Good luck and good shooting!

BTW, welcome from Middle Tennessee!

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice here. stay safe cowboy.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Agree with Falcon 1 - Remington 125 Golden Saber

I have a steel .357 snubby that I keep close by in the house, and I keep it loaded with the 125 grain Remington Golden Saber hollowpoints. It is a medium power .357 with low flash. It does 1220 fps from a 4 inch barrel, and maybe 1100 fps from a snubby. I believe that the really high velocity .357 ammo (1350 fps or so) is just too vigorous for a snubby and is better suited to longer barrel guns.

My wife carries the 2 1/4 model with her to work, or at lest in the car due to company policy. I like the Golden Saber in all my carry guns. Hers is loaded with the .38 +P, I am some what concerned about over penetration with the .357 loads. The time I have run .357 at the range the kick was not all that bad for such a small gun. More noise than any thing.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Welcome to CC

I would post some advice, but our fellows have about said it all. Welcome to CC. Let us know how your training goes.

Hey, thanks to all of you for the warm welcome and your input is very much appreciated. Looks like Remington Golden Saber is the ammo of choice. I will be stocking up on these for my next visit to the shooting range.
    I forgot to add that when I tried to clean that crud out of my gun after that one shooting session, IT TOOK FOREVER! I'm still not quite sure if that "ring" in the chamber is completely gone.
    Thank you for the run down on how to build up comfortably to the .357 rounds and for the advice on cleaning revolvers. I think I've found the RIGHT place.

Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Links