New Pistol - PPQ

New Pistol - PPQ

This is a discussion on New Pistol - PPQ within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just got a new PPQ. Since this is my first striker fired pistol, I'm not sure what to expect. The included target says it was ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By high pockets
  • 1 Post By .XX

Thread: New Pistol - PPQ

New Pistol - PPQ

Just got a new PPQ. Since this is my first striker fired pistol, I'm not sure what to expect. The included target says it was shot at 15 meters. I hope I am that accurate.

One thing I noticed, in looking over it, is that although it is DA only, there is really no "second strike" ability. Is this common in striker fired guns?

I am very excited about getting out to the range with my new PPQ, but will not be able to get out til Tuesday. I will try to post a range report later.

PPQ-3 - scaled.JPGPPQ -1 - scaled.JPG
    .XX likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I wasn't aware it is DA only.

Congratulations!! I believe you are really going to enjoy the PPQ. Excuse me while I do the celebratory new gun dance in honor of your new acquisition.

The only thing keeping me from buying one is the lack of available magazines. M1 & M2 aren't compatible . The PPX in same caliber not only has higher capacity, but wont fit the PPQ. The Walther i think i really could live with is the P99 (AS trigger). I would expect the PPQ to be an excellent shooting firearm. many of the Walther fans (Walther Forum) Believe it to be a Glock Killer. I just don't see it that way.

VIP Member
    Guns like Glock aren't really double action. The striker is partially "cocked" during the cycling of the slide. I'm not sure but I assume the PPQ works the same way.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

.XX
    SA Quick Defense Trigger.
    Smooth, light 5.6 lb trigger pull for all shots. Short .4" trigger travel and .1" trigger reset for fast, accurate second shots.
    niks likes this.
    Shoots your collector guns!

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Nothing like that new gun smell...

'Cept maybe the smell of cordite and burnt gunpowder..., and maybe Hopes #9..., and maybe napalm, and we all know what that smells like...
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    I wasn't aware it is DA only.
    My error, on Genitron they call it "striker single-action (SA)"

In the Owner's Manual, Walther says "striker fired semi-automatic pistol with constant trigger pull."

On Gallery of Guns they call it "Double Action."

I thought "double action" and "constant trigger pull" meant DAO.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

.XX
    The Four Rules

1- All guns are always loaded.
    2- Never point the gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3- Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target (and you have made the decision to shoot).
    4- Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

-----------
    * The 5th amendment rule : Smell your gun can cause Excessive Happy Disorder Syndrome.
    Shoots your collector guns!

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Actually to be clear, Glocks are DAO and "partially cocked" when a round is chambered, becoming fully cocked as a function of pulling the trigger before the striker is released. The "double" action is the full cocking of the striker, and it's subsequent release on that model of firearm (DAO.)

The PPQ on the other hand, is "SAO" and is fully cocked at all times when a round is chambered. This is why the trigger is lighter, and has a much shorter reset by comparison to a Glock. The PPQ is "SAO" because the trigger only performs one action: releasing the striker, since the striker is fully cocked already when the round is chambered. The PPQ does not have second-strike capability, but does anyone really need that anymore? I haven't seen much of any reports of hang-fires on modern firearms with modern ammunition. If that feature is vital to you however, the P99AS does offer this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Dude! Thats a bad ass gun. I love mine and it's my best shooter next to my STI. Actually, may be on the same accuracy level as far as what I'm capable of.
    I friggin love my PPQ and I'm sure you will too.
    Cheers!
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

The PPQ is on my short list of non-HK handguns that I really want. They're not even all that expensive. Great looking gun! Congrats.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Links