Steel Gong Targets - Recommendations?

This is a discussion on Steel Gong Targets - Recommendations? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking for a steel gong target to set up permanently as a long range practice target at my deer lease. I don't have any real ...

Thread: Steel Gong Targets - Recommendations?

VIP Member

Steel Gong Targets - Recommendations?

Looking for a steel gong target to set up permanently as a long range practice target at my deer lease. I don't have any real requirements other than it needs to be something that will happily accept life outdoors, as where I'm planning on setting it up is not easily accessible so it needs to go up and stay up. Distance from the shooting area will be 400 yards so I'm thinking something in the 10"-12" range should be sufficient.

Anyone done this and have any recommendations?
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

2. Remove Ads

Check out this place... Arntzen Targets
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

My club range has steel plates of various sizes at 200 and 300 yards. Depending on what you're shooting, even a 24" square can be challenging at 300 yards. If you'll always be using optics, then maybe 12" will be OK, but you'll have a hard time seeing that even with 4x. And if you use a red dot, a 3 MOA dot will obscure your 12" target at 400 yards.

A .22 rimfire that shoots 1 MOA at 100 yards will be iffy at 400... the bullet won't have 1 MOA potential at that distance, unless you're shooting on the Moon!

I'd say go as big as you can afford - you can always paint a smaller target in the center. And you might consider hanging it as a diamond rather than square to the ground, to give yourself a little more 'calibration' room in the windage and elevation axes.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by jblitz View Post
    Check out this place... Arntzen Targets
    +1 on Arntzen, I've got 5 of their 2/3rds IDPA, one of their rounds and a knockdown, all in AR500.

Excellent service and they've held up well. Their portable stands, while expensive are very will made and have held up to multiple hits. Another company you may want to look at is Quality targets. He made me 12 Bowling pins in AR500, a couple of bunnies, squirrels, my turkey swinger and some 8" disks. He's very fast, and his shipping is very reasonable:

Quality Targets

I agree with going as large as you can, then paint or add a smaller center. It makes it easier to spot hits/misses if you don't have a spotter and get dialed in. I'm working on my next target which will be a 500m rectangle, with a smaller round mounted in the middle on a spring. It will be at least easier to paint the "bull" and should ring differently when hit. I find most of my misses at distance to be lateral due to wind, especially at known distance (my place) so I'm going sideways.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Links