convert-a-pell, anyone ever owned one of these ?

This is a discussion on convert-a-pell, anyone ever owned one of these ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Convert-a-Pell » Automatic just like the title says, anybody have experience with one of these primer fired pellet conversions? there are a few companies that ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: convert-a-pell, anyone ever owned one of these ?

Distinguished Member

Question convert-a-pell, anyone ever owned one of these ?

Convert-a-Pell » Automatic

just like the title says, anybody have experience with one of these primer fired pellet conversions?

there are a few companies that made similar things but this is the only one i can find.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    No, but I can't see how there would be enough presure to work the slide. It's essentially a single shot, because you would have to hand actuate the slide.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    I have never tried that one but many, many moons ago I did try these by Speer, they were quite accurate and a cardboard box provided an adequate backstop.

Speer Bullets - Plastic Training Bullets
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Might as well buy an airsoft,probably be more powerfull
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    No, but I can't see how there would be enough presure to work the slide. It's essentially a single shot, because you would have to hand actuate the slide.
    yes hand cycle only, i saw a demo video. revolver however, work as usual.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I have never tried that one but many, many moons ago I did try these by Speer, they were quite accurate and a cardboard box provided an adequate backstop.

saw those too, loose fit in the bore i'm guessing? it's reusable?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    saw those too, loose fit in the bore i'm guessing? it's reusable?
    Not very loose and may be reused may times.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Might as well buy an airsoft,probably be more powerfull
    yeah but with a conversion i can use my carry gun to practice draw and fire in city limits, hard to find a air soft that fits my holster exactly and the have the same feel. the controls on the real gun just feels different even though i have owned some pretty nice air soft guns. i dont think anyone makes a true to size and weight p2000 replica, just the USP and USPC.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post

no .40 cal any other company offer something similar?

Administrator
    You need an adjustable rear sight or you will be getting LOW groups with either the Convert a pell or the Speer.

They usually shoot dirty but the gun cleans up easily after shooting.

I have the Lothar/Walther (no longer being imported??) that fires .22 SHORT out of a .45 semi-auto.
    It is said that it has an extremely accurate precision rifled steel barrel insert.

I have never used mine since I thought it is/was a rare item and the vintage kit that I bought is pristine and unfired.

When I first bought it I really wanted to use it but, my common sense brain told me that it may be more valuable in new and unused condition.

Actually now I think now that they are still making these. Mine is very vintage.

short22conversion.JPG

OK...imagine that the Walther pistol in this video is a 1911 and that the lathe turned Steel cartridge houses a .22 SHORT cartridge and you will understand how mine works. The six turned steel cartridges will hand feed and chamber from a standard 1911 magazine and will hand eject. The pistol will operate as a precision single shot 1911 in .22 SHORT.
    Mine also has 6 little centerfire to rimfire adapters that fit in behind the .22 Short cartridges.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

i had one ages ago for my H&K P-7, PSP. individual components were well made. seemed like a good idea at the time, because i didn't have a range nearby, but it was too much hassle for me to reload after every shot. as i remember, it was fairly accurate.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I use primer powered wax bullits from my revolvers. Good for practice inside the garage. They will go through a card board box or even sheetrock but are stopped by loose hanging cloth. so I hang a couple of layers of old sheets in a cardboard box and it trapps them perfectly. DR

Many years ago I had some .38 shells that used reuseable plastic .38 projectiles and used a primer only. I shot them out of my old Dan Wesson 15-2 .357. I don't recall the brand but they were fairly accurate at 15-20 ft. I had forgotten all about them. Hmmm, wish I still had the Dan Wesson!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    OK...imagine that the Walther pistol in this video is a 1911 and that the lathe turned Steel cartridge houses a .22 SHORT cartridge and you will understand how mine works. The six turned steel cartridges will hand feed and chamber from a standard 1911 magazine and will hand eject. The pistol will operate as a precision single shot 1911 in .22 SHORT.
    Mine also has 6 little centerfire to rimfire adapters that fit in behind the .22 Short cartridges
    that's pretty much how the convert-a-pell works, but how did your kit manage to to strike the rim of a .22 with a center fire pin? is the bore offset towards the chamber end?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    that's pretty much how the convert-a-pell works, but how did your kit manage to to strike the rim of a .22 with a center fire pin? is the bore offset towards the chamber end?
    The .22 SHORT cartridge goes into the Steel ".45acp" cartridge and then a tiny "centerfire to rimfire" hardened steel insert is inserted into what would be the primer area of a normal .45acp cartridge.

It is held in place by a tiny neoprene "O" ring.

The 1911 firing pin strikes that insert and the centerfire strike then becomes a rimfire strike.
    technomonster likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links