grip style preference for cowboy style revolvers

This is a discussion on grip style preference for cowboy style revolvers within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Question for those of you who shoot and collect cowboy style revolvers --- which style grip (standard, Bisley and birdshead) feels best for natural pointing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: grip style preference for cowboy style revolvers

grip style preference for cowboy style revolvers

Question for those of you who shoot and collect cowboy style revolvers --- which style grip (standard, Bisley and birdshead) feels best for natural pointing and with felt recoil. There is, of course ,different size hands and revolvers -- maybe medium size hand and 357/32spl and .45 LC with Class 2 loads.

2. Remove Ads

I prefer the birdshead grip....for my Ruger .45LC.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

...Bisley...

Standard.
    “A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Hope there are more replies. Right now I am looking at buying three .45 lc each with a different style grip!!

Quote Originally Posted by bwromine View Post
    Hope there are more replies. Right now I am looking at buying three .45 lc each with a different style grip!!
    Let me break the tie by saying ... um, Bisley. No, strike that, make it standard (although, I really do like the bird's head, too)

bigmacque likes this.

I have a Ruger Vaquero (45 colt) with a birdshead grip. It is the older model (before they downsized the Vaquero). I have shot some fairly hot Buffalo Bore ammunition through it. Very comfortable. Just my .02 worth. :)

My Blackhawk is the standard grip. My favorite.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

OD*
    For heavy loads, the Bez-lee.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I have never shot a birds-head, but I agree that for larger calibers Bisley is more comfortable for felt recoil.

IMO nothing beats the Peacemaker, 1873, SAA style (Standard?), whatever you want to call it design. I think Sam Colt designed it to point just like you would point your finger, making it the most natural position for maximum accuracy. I am more accurate with my SAAs than any other handgun, period.

I'm looking at a non-Colt SAA as well. It's a TLA Grover's #5 (supposedly an improved Elmer Keith #5), and the guy wants a small fortune for it, but if it's still there by next week it will probably be mine. I could have two, real, 1st gen Colt SAAs for what they guy wants for this pistol...and yet, I can't look away...
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

OD*
    Grover's #5 is an amazing handgun, good luck amigo.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

The birds head grip is primarily useful for concealment. I had no problem firing hot .45 Colt loads with mine.

The standard frame, with the exception of a lengthened frame like the dragoon style on a Ruger Super Blackhawk leaves your pinkie finger hanging under the bottom of the frame. Again, no problems using this style of grip, with the exceptions noted at the end.

If I recall, (I haven't had one in about 25 years) the Ruger Bisley style is slightly longer and allows a full grip, which folks firing very hot loads prefer over a standard frame.

In any of these cases, I would recommend a smoother grip panel. Heavily checkered grips or rubber grips tend to abrade the hand over a long shooting session due to the natural rolling up of the gun during recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by pcnotpc View Post
    The birds head grip is primarily useful for concealment. I had no problem firing hot .45 Colt loads with mine.

The standard frame, with the exception of a lengthened frame like the dragoon style on a Ruger Super Blackhawk leaves your pinkie finger hanging under the bottom of the frame. Again, no problems using this style of grip, with the exceptions noted at the end.

If I recall, (I haven't had one in about 25 years) the Ruger Bisley style is slightly longer and allows a full grip, which folks firing very hot loads prefer over a standard frame.

In any of these cases, I would recommend a smoother grip panel. Heavily checkered grips or rubber grips tend to abrade the hand over a long shooting session due to the natural rolling up of the gun during recoil.
    My understanding was that the birdshead was designed to be comfortable when sittin in the saddle and holstered for cross draw.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

If you dont like whats available, make your own.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Mine are standard; since I've never shot the others, I guess standard must be the best!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links