Planning for the worst

This is a discussion on Planning for the worst within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Iím always looking for ways to become more robust at my household. For instance, I have three ways to heat my home in winter, three ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nontechguy
  • 2 Post By high pockets

Thread: Planning for the worst

Planning for the worst

Iím always looking for ways to become more robust at my household. For instance, I have three ways to heat my home in winter, three ways to cook food, an alternate water supply, etc.

And as I was paying my homeowners insurance the other day, I realized that should my house burn down with all of my firearms and ammunition inside, I would be effectively disarmed at a time when I would be at greater risk. Iíd be living in a hotel or with friends, I.D. and credit cards burned up and temporarily not able to buy a replacement firearm, and so on. My relatives are not gun owners, so a loaner is out. The only way Iíve been able to resolve this is to keep a gun in a lockbox in my car, which is always parked in a detached, locked garage. What do you guys think about the risks in doing this?
    It isnít the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

2. Remove Ads

I have heard of burying a 5 gal bucket with a firearm and ammo for situations like this, but have no first hand knowledge :)

Do whatever makes you comfortable. If you are going to go through the effort just realize sooner or later someone is going to get into your car. Make sure the gun is secure- and don't park in the garage because I believe in your scenario where everything was totally burned down, you might lose the car in the garage too.

My NRA membership covers some costs of loosing my firearms in case of fire. That's a small start. The second half is to have your firearms on you when you get out of the burning house.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I, too, have three ways to heat my house: 1. Shut off the A/C; 2. Open the windows; 3. Turn on the heat. (I think it still works.)
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I, too, have three ways to heat my house: 1. Shut off the A/C; 2. Open the windows; 3. Turn on the heat. (I think it still works.)
    Open windows in PA not an option. Of course if the house burns down it's a moot point.

My first suggestion is to get a good fireproof (resistant) gun safe. The best/largest you can afford. You can store your personal papers, valuables, etc. as well as your firearms.
    This link gives some good advice on that. Gun Safe Buyers' Guide
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ó George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    I’m always looking for ways to become more robust at my household. For instance, I have three ways to heat my home in winter, three ways to cook food, an alternate water supply, etc. ...

I have to admit, I am lax in this area, but I DO have three ways to cook at my house. 1) I cook, 2) My wife cooks (scary thought), or 3) One of the many local restaurants cook.
    maniacmechanic and BurgerBoy like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Links