Eye & Ear protection for a 5 year old - HELP requested

This is a discussion on Eye & Ear protection for a 5 year old - HELP requested within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My son is going to get his first range trip ever in October. I want to ensure that he has good eye and ear protection ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Eye & Ear protection for a 5 year old - HELP requested

Eye & Ear protection for a 5 year old - HELP requested

My son is going to get his first range trip ever in October. I want to ensure that he has good eye and ear protection for the occasion.

When he was 1 he got tubes in his ears. He got them out at 2. He has always had ear canal issues but no real hearing loss that we know of at this time.

I have read several reviews from folks suggesting to get a pair of typical adult ear muffs from walmart & just choke them down to the smallest setting possible. We tried them tonight & they fit, but I do not want to just settle on that if there is a better option.

He will only be shooting 22lr, but it is a public range & it is possible for ANY caliber to be there.

To those with kids who shoot, what are you using? Do you have a link?

Walmart and Cabelas used to have an eye/ear set but neither locally have them any more.

Any help would be appreciated.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

2. Remove Ads

Start him right - double protection all the time, every time. Here's a link - follow the appropriate links for child sized stuff; just make sure you get the ones for shooting, not swimming. You can cut the foam ones in half if they're too big or get moldable plugs. Remington and others make smaller muffs specifically for women and kids. There are also smaller sized glasses out there. Insist on both forms - I've had kids tell me their ears didn't hurt when mine would if I wore my PPE like they were wearing theirs.
    ccw9mm and 357and40 like this.

Ditto, on the "double" protection idea. Ear plugs, suitable for a kid's size of ear canal. Muffs, suitable for a kid's hat size.

If you can afford the electronic muffs, they might be worth it to you. They'll help ensure he's not missing the instructions, that he won't feel enticed to take them off to speak with you, but that he'll be well-protected.

Eyes + Ears, always. Always.

Kudos, for getting him started early.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Perhaps five years old is a bit young for the range.
    BigCityChief and Hopyard like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Ditto, on the "double" protection idea. Ear plugs, suitable for a kid's size of ear canal. Muffs, suitable for a kid's hat size.

If you can afford the electronic muffs, they might be worth it to you. They'll help ensure he's not missing the instructions, that he won't feel enticed to take them off to speak with you, but that he'll be well-protected.

Eyes + Ears, always. Always. Kudos, for getting him started early.
    DITTO - in spades!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    DITTO - in spades!
    What Granny said+1!!
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    My son is going to get his first range trip ever in October. I want to ensure that he has good eye and ear protection for the occasion.

When he was 1 he got tubes in his ears. He got them out at 2. He has always had ear canal issues but no real hearing loss that we know of at this time.

I have read several reviews from folks suggesting to get a pair of typical adult ear muffs from walmart & just choke them down to the smallest setting possible. We tried them tonight & they fit, but I do not want to just settle on that if there is a better option.

He will only be shooting 22lr, but it is a public range & it is possible for ANY caliber to be there.

To those with kids who shoot, what are you using? Do you have a link?

Walmart and Cabelas used to have an eye/ear set but neither locally have them any more.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Look on Brownells or MidwayUSA. They sell silicone ear plugs that mold to your individual ear for superior seal and fit. They can be a little pricey, but you form them like a sports mouth guard, basically. You can also have higher end ones made for you by shops that deal in them (I've seen some for as much as a grand per pair with electronic amplification built in)
    As for eye protection, he should be able to use any polycarbonate lensed glasses in clear or yellow tint, which you can find for cheap on amazon.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Perhaps you can never start to early. Education from the earliest age is the best way to instill healthy respect for firearms.

As Jim Cirillo said, take the taboo out of it as early as possible through exposure & education.

ps: Thanks for the link nedrgr. Thanks for the encouragement & reinforcement on a secondary set of ears everyone.
    I checked brownelles and midway and was not overly impressed with the offerings on brownelles. Midway did have some, but not all i wanted.

Please keep the links coming.
    ccw9mm and fredg53 like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Ditto to the above ... had a daughter with the same issues. She was very sensitive to sound, so the double protection would be the best. Electronic is good, that's adjustable to the level you want, etc.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I have found the telephone support and chat support at the Earplug Superstore tops. They really helped fit my wife, with difficult to fit issues.

Senior Moderator
    I bought some child size ear plugs for my boys and they wear a pair of smaller size muffs
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I use the Surefire EP3's. SureFire EP3 Sonic Defender Earpieces - Hearing Protection, Clear EAREP3MPR, EAREP3LPR, EAREP3SPR, EAREP3LPRBULK, EAREP3MPRBULK, EP3-SPR-BULK. SureFire Hearing Protection.

Stand alone protection even with 44mag and 308.

I don't know how small the small is, but worth a look. Combined with a electronic muff, if needed, near total protection and can still hear voice level sound.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Tell her that:

She started when she was 6. And, yes, she had to memorize the 4 safety rules and explain what they meant before she set foot on the range. The age at which they are ready is as individual as them. Some may not be ready for the range until they are 30, some may be ready at 5. You the parent must make the decision when they are ready. Prior to their range visit, we drilled using cheap airsoft rifle and pistol at home. They were taught carry, pointing, sight picture and safety all using the airsoft guns. That way if someone makes a mistake, it just stings, nobody has to leave in a body bag.

Now, I HIGHLY recommend electronic muffs. VERY HIGHLY. Its critical that the young ones hear what you are saying and hear the RSO if present. If you only have one pair of electronic ones, give them to the kid. Its more important they hear you than you hear them. I now have 3 pair. Two Howard Leight and one from Gander. Hate the ones from Gander (2 volume controls, 2 sets of batteries, etc). I do not double up ears (plugs and muffs) as they prevent the child hearing you.

For eye protection...
    Children's Safety Glasses - Safety Glasses Made To Fit Smaller Faces

Oh, tip...for electronic muffs, have the kid put them on backwards (microphones facing to the rear). This will assist the muffs in picking up your voice from behind them (which is where you better be if the range is hot!).

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfiesden View Post
    I do not double up ears (plugs and muffs) as they prevent the child hearing you.
    Good post, but this isn't correct. I've worn 2x protection for years and never had a problem hearing RSO's, range commands, etc - you may just have to speak up a bit. When I use electronic muffs I turn the volume all the way up with plugs and can still hear conversations 10+ yds away. Another tip is an additional range rule - if you tap the kid on the shoulder it means to immediately take finger off the trigger and listen up; most kids should never be more than 1/2 an arm's distance from you when they are holding a gun anyway.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links