Dry Fire and Blue Guns

This is a discussion on Dry Fire and Blue Guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Being a novice to the world of firearms, what can you tell about Dry Fire training and Blue Guns? To engage in dry fire training, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Dry Fire and Blue Guns

Dry Fire and Blue Guns

Being a novice to the world of firearms, what can you tell about Dry Fire training and Blue Guns? To engage in dry fire training, do you use your real handgun or a blue gun? What kind of ammo is used? Thanks to all who respond!

2. Remove Ads

Dry fire is an exercise to help hone your trigger/grip control technique. You need a real gun to do that properly. IMO, if concerned about harming the firing pin assembly or if you've got a gun where this is a known risk, then get "snap caps" or other suitable fake/training cartridges. Being done with a real gun, though, be certain that you properly verify the gun is unloaded and visually and manually confirm (look into the chamber, and stick your finger in there) before proceeding. And, as always, adhere to the four basic gun safety guidelines ... including pointing in a safe direction, even though it's "only" dry fire.

"Blue" guns are false guns in every respect, without moving parts. They're useful for practicing draw/holstering techniques, retention and disarm techniques. Different skill set entirely, from what dry fire teaches you.

I think both have their place.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    When I'm working with a person who is new to firearms I use a real UNLOADED revolver with a laser for dry firing. The red dot shows that person how their hands wobble when they are lining up the sites and how unsteady they are when they pull the trigger. It's also a fantastic ego booster when they see the red dot stabilize as they continue to practice!
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

ccw9mm...you nailed it! I will try and find some snap caps and see how they work in my FN 9mm. And also may buy a blue gun to build those other skills. Appreciate your words!

ShooterGranny..would love to have you train me! No laser on my FN 9mm, though. Thanks!
    ShooterGranny likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barbaricbean View Post
    ShooterGranny..would love to have you train me! No laser on my FN 9mm, though. Thanks!
    Actually you can do it yourself. Get a 9mm laser training cartridge, go online and get the OCAT Laser Starter System. You will get that training. It will show you the location you are hitting, it will show you the amount of muzzle movement and the direction of that movement.

Try a Laserlyte laser cartridge:

LaserLyte ? Laser Training Systems, Laser Guns Sights, Laser Bore Sights

Best $70 I've spent lately.

You can use it with their target, or without, the dot will stay on for about a second after firing. Works really well for practicing drawing, and low-light around the house. My wife, son and I now have matches while watching the tube.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

VIP Member
    Honestly, IMO I'd suggest you save the money on the blue gun and put that money toward some actual training with a reputable instructor. You don't really "need" a blue gun for anything unless you are a holster maker or train people that typically carry loaded firearms. They use blue guns because of the very real potential for someone's live gun to get somehow mixed into the training and then bad things happen.

Your average person who does dry fire drills and practices drawing and reloads can safely accomplish this by doing their 'training' in a controlled environment and by being certain that not only is their firearm unloaded, but also verify that all live ammunition is far away from the area that you are working in.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    Try a Laserlyte laser cartridge:

LaserLyte ? Laser Training Systems, Laser Guns Sights, Laser Bore Sights

Best $70 I've spent lately.

You can use it with their target, or without, the dot will stay on for about a second after firing. Works really well for practicing drawing, and low-light around the house. My wife, son and I now have matches while watching the tube.

Chuck
    Now you just need an OCAT System and than you can have real shooting matches.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Just head out to Chicago. You'll get all the practice you can stand in one weekend.
    the6shooter likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Honestly, IMO I'd suggest you save the money on the blue gun and put that money toward some actual training with a reputable instructor. You don't really "need" a blue gun for anything unless you are a holster maker or train people that typically carry loaded firearms. They use blue guns because of the very real potential for someone's live gun to get somehow mixed into the training and then bad things happen.

Your average person who does dry fire drills and practices drawing and reloads can safely accomplish this by doing their 'training' in a controlled environment and by being certain that not only is their firearm unloaded, but also verify that all live ammunition is far away from the area that you are working in.
    However, with a lot of training at $200+, another ~$30-40 for a used training gun+knife and a set of snap caps can be a good way to extend what's learned in such training, even when a "controlled" environment isn't available. Can boost the practice time, with such tools. Not for everyone, though, as you suggest.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

TX expat...I agreew ith you but am having a dog-of-a-time trying to find an NRA instructor. Found one last year, met once for personal training and he awarded me my "1st Pistol" certificate. Tried reaching him several times by phone and email to go further...but he never got back to me. Moved on. Found 2 other NRA instructors here in NJ, but when i told them i want to learn to shoot fast and accurate, eventually from a holster, they said they could not help me. But gave no reason as to why. Am I asking the wrong question? Anyway, will continue my search. Thanks!

OldVet...really?? Hard to believe, afterall, doesn't Chicago have some of the toughest gunlaws in the union? Are you saying those laws haven't gotten the guns out of the hands of the criminal-types? Isn't tough guy Rahm pushing his muscle around the city to lower the crime rates? Shocking!

Distinguished Member
    TX expat...I agreew ith you but am having a dog-of-a-time trying to find an NRA instructor. Found one last year, met once for personal training and he awarded me my "1st Pistol" certificate. Tried reaching him several times by phone and email to go further...but he never got back to me. Moved on. Found 2 other NRA instructors here in NJ, but when i told them i want to learn to shoot fast and accurate, eventually from a holster, they said they could not help me. But gave no reason as to why. Am I asking the wrong question? Anyway, will continue my search. Thanks!
    NRA courses are standard. Perhaps your saying you want to learn to shoot "fast and accurate" made those instructors feel they had to back off. There are a lot of good schools (and a lot of lousy ones) and a lot of good instructors also. Keep looking,

The main thing wrong with sports shooting like IDPA, etc. is that you can shoot really fast and have a lot of misses but still wind up with a good score. Self defense training (the only kind I've ever had) emphasizes accuracy.

First you work on the accurate part. Then keep practicing. Then practice some more. The more you practice the faster you can become. You can push yourself a little bit but only to the point where you start missing the 10 ring - or 9 ring at worst. ALWAYS keep in mind that "you can't miss fast enough to stop the threat".

Good luck - and good shooting!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Hmmm. That's no go, for sure. Try posting a new thread and ask for trainer recommendations for your area. I'd be shocked if you couldn't find some good training with a couple hours drive from you. They don't need to be an NRA instructor, they just need to be... well, basically not a crackpot. I'm sure there are plenty of quality instructors up in your area and getting some recommendations would probably be a good way to find them. Ask on here or any local firearms forums for the Northeast. I'm too far away to give you any specific pointers but I do wish you luck in your search!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links