This Looks Like Fun

This Looks Like Fun

This is a discussion on This Looks Like Fun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Rat shooting with Weihrauch HW 100 .177 12ftlbs (Humane vermin control) night vision by snypercat - YouTube...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: This Looks Like Fun

"When the people fear government, there is tyranny, when government fears the people, there is liberty"

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Now that's my kinda fun!
    msgt/ret likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Fun, and useful at the same time.
    Donnie D
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "When the people fear government, there is tyranny, when government fears the people, there is liberty"

We used to live in a semi rural town in Ohio and a couple local farmers called upon my husband regularly to come to their place to shoot the groundhogs that were decimating their bean fields. Although he isn't a dedicated hunter he did enjoy that vermin control - and it gave him a chance to use both his Ruger Blackhawk and Redhawk. Both of the Hawks have since flown from the roost to make room for newer purchases but the memories linger.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    We used to live in a semi rural town in Ohio and a couple local farmers called upon my husband regularly to come to their place to shoot the groundhogs that were decimating their bean fields. Although he isn't a dedicated hunter he did enjoy that vermin control - and it gave him a chance to use both his Ruger Blackhawk and Redhawk. Both of the Hawks have since flown from the roost to make room for newer purchases but the memories linger.
    Bet he had a blast.
    Donnie D

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    love that kind of stuff. do it a bunch on the family farm. groundhog, squirrel, raccoon, fox, but never rats though. most fun i had was when we went to sight in our 270 and a groundhog was out in the field...didnt end well for him ;)
    msgt/ret likes this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

That sure does look fun. That NV setup is sweet.
    msgt/ret and DontTreadOnI like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I hate rats.

my dad managed a grain co-op back in the 60's, and my older brother and I were Chief Rat Control. Both of us with .22 semi-autos loaded with .22 shorts. Actually had a pack charge us one afternoon in broad daylight. We had interrupted about 100 rats the size of small cats feeding on the corn in a large 1/2 football field grain hut. Both our .22's held 21 rounds of shorts.....and you have never seen two kids fire 42 shots as fast as you could pull the trigger. In the rat counter attack (very short lived) we got about 25 of them.....you couldn't miss. The rest headed for the nearby field.

I still have bad dreams of that rat "charge". I was 13 at the time.....we learned to be more "tactical" and snipe them at a distance with our scopes. One fall we killed over 500 of the dirty little rodents....wish it could have been 10,000 as they can eat their weight several times a day in grain.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

And with rats, you don't have to worry about the Game Warden.
    Donnie D
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    That is great fun, the rats around here though are not so accommodating they will not slow down enough to give you a decent shot. When I was much younger a couple of others and myself had permission to go to the local dump on Sundays and shoot rats one Sunday someone called the Sheriff’s Office, well a Deputy showed up to check on us and after he made sure everything was ok he left. A little later the Deputy was back, this time he had two boxes of ammo for his service revolver and he was quite good at popping rats with a 38.
    NONAME762 and Tzadik like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    That sure does look fun. That NV setup is sweet.
    Check out the cam setup in this video...it must be something similar:

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

That looks like a hoot right up to the cost of the air rifle used. I would think the .22SR would be almost as quiet and a whole lot cheaper to run.

Senior Moderator
    That looks like fun.

It'd be cheaper to use my Bolt action savage .22 with shorts though
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    neat, well done

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links