Should I buy a Marlin .22 for $50?

This is a discussion on Should I buy a Marlin .22 for $50? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A guy at work has a Marlin Bolt action 7 round magazine fed .22 he says he thinks is about 20 years old. He doesn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Should I buy a Marlin .22 for $50?

A guy at work has a Marlin Bolt action 7 round magazine fed .22 he says he thinks is about 20 years old. He doesn't know the model number. He says it's in mint condition, he just doesn't have a use for it. I'm interested in getting it for my daughters to learn to shoot if it's in good condition. He only wants 50 bucks so it seems like a no brainer but I thought I'd ask you guys first as I'm fairly new to the firearms world. What should I look for when inspecting the rifle? Is this a good rifle to teach my daughters? Or should I get something brand new? He is going to let me look at it today and I have to decide then because he has others that are interested as well but he promised me first dibs.

Thanks
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Distinguished Member
    I'd check it out and make sure it cycles well and no rust/corrosion and if it looks good I'd take it in a heart beat. I think any 22 that'll function reliably is well worth $50.
    Tzadik, phreddy, BamaT and 2 others like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Find out what Model Number and also the condition the rifle is in. Marlin bolt .22's are quite popular and if it is in very good condition then a $50 price does not seem unreasonable.

I had a Sears .22 bolt that was made by Marlin in the 1960's, my very first rifle. Sadly, the rifle was stolen in a last-year burglary. But, I loved that rifle and would love to have it back.

Getting a .22 rifle to teach your daughters how to shoot is an excellent idea.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    If it works, $50 - heck yeah!

I'd rather have a 20 year old Marlin .22 than a brand new one. Quality has not gone up over the years.
    Last edited by WHEC724; September 24th, 2013 at 09:00 AM. Reason: spelling :-P
    rocky, Brady, phreddy and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    It's probably a model 25 or 30. I have a model 25. It was my first rifle, and I've had it for 32 years now. I love it.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

like others have said. i'd say just about any gun that functions correctly is worth $50.

My first rifle was a Sears Savage 22 mag. and I've still got it. It is an absolute fav and is as accurate as just about anything. Great for varmits and target shooting at distance. Compliments a LaRue 16.1 obr, 5.56 quite well.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Don't forget to take $50 with you, and bring that puppy home!
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Absolutely yes! The older Marlins w/ the micro-groove barrels are great shooters and are usually very accurate! IMHO the newest Rem/Marlins are not worth the $$ and are lacking in quality.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Absolutely yes! The older Marlins w/ the micro-groove barrels are great shooters and are usually very accurate! IMHO the newest Rem/Marlins are not worth the $$ and are lacking in quality.
    Not to sound stupid but what is the micro-groove barrel?
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    HotGuns likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Yes!! I'm very jealous, by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Buy the rifle - even if you don't use it, it'd be easy to resell at a profit. However, if your daughters are small they may be better served with a Chipmunk .22 that fits them better and then wait for them to grow into the Marlin.

Senior Moderator
    Not to sound stupid but what is the micro-groove barrel?
    It's a Marlin exclusive type of rifling, generally rifling consists of 3-4 grooves and lands that spiral down the barrel. The grooves are cut or button formed to the diameter of the round being fired while the lands are left approx .004 above the grooves. Micro groove rifling looks more like a very tiny gear made up of 20+ triangles around it's axis and the concept works very well, resulting in great accuracy.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

yes, yes. for $50.00 i would jump on it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links