Another reason NOT to buy an iPhone 5S

This is a discussion on Another reason NOT to buy an iPhone 5S within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was thinking about it, but not after seeing this. Really, what good is it? The iPhone 5S May Break When Exposed To .50 Caliber ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Another reason NOT to buy an iPhone 5S

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Another reason NOT to buy an iPhone 5S

I was thinking about it, but not after seeing this. Really, what good is it?

The iPhone 5S May Break When Exposed To .50 Caliber Rifle Rounds
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Yes, but it would easily stop a wimpy round like a 9mm or something.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think much (much, much, much) more ballistic testing of smartphones needs to be done.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I think much (much, much, much) more ballistic testing of smartphones needs to be done.
    Yes. Im mean seriously, what good are these phones if not ballistics rated, really what good are they?
    They contirubute to countless car accidents, children obiesity, and carpel tunnel syndrom. We should put warning lables all over them.. "Will cause car accidents" "Will not stop bullets" etc..

/end satire
    OldVet likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Saw on Fox News this morning that, contrary to popular belief, the new operating system does not make it waterproof. It seems that when the Iphone gets wet the operating system automatically powers the phone down. Evidently folks are attempting to prove this new "waterproof" feature....Apple is laughing all the way to the bank.Duhhhh...
    maniacmechanic likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

I've tested my iphone 4 with 9mm and 38 spl. Held up fine. Guess I better keep it away from the 50 BMG.
    GlockHawk17 likes this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

This all could have been avoided by concealed carry.....
    84160 likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    I made myself a vest out of old iPhones, so I'd guess I'm at least safe for everything other than 50 cal?

Hmmmm, what if I added a double layer?
    Brad426 likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    So I guess there won't be those warm and fuzzy stories about how the 5s saved a soldier's life cause he kept it in his breast pocket and it stopped a round. Bring back those old fashioned pocket Bibles. They stopped everything!
    Brad426 and blitzburgh like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

What are the other reasons to not buy an iPhone 5s? Soon as my upgrade comes (Nov, if I remember right) I'll be upgrading to one. I'm still working with what I call a "dumb" phone, and it no longer makes sense for me to remain behind the times!

But I will keep this video in mind when I get one, in case of an active shooter or sniper situation.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

As if I needed any other reason, being an Android fanboy and all.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I personally do hot believe it will stop any center fire rifle cartridge. Handgun, ok, but not rifle.
    Brad426 likes this.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

I just "UP"graded to a Samsung Galaxy S3.

Does everything my iPhone 5 did and then some. The GUI is awesome. Wont be using this baby for target practice anytime soon..

Check um out @ Compare Phones (Phone Scoop)
    DaveInEdmonds likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    What the phone needs is to adopt a disclaimer. Here is the one I use on many of my Ebay auctions.

No warrantee, including fitness for a particular purpose or usefulness of information, express or implied. This product not tested on animals, as college students are cheaper and nobody cares what you do to them, Professional driver, closed course. Clean your room. Serving suggestion. Stay in skool. Be secure in the knowledge that we're all part of a plan, but be thankful that you're ignorant of its cruel, bloody particulars. Do not apply to broken skin; if condition persists consult a physician. Refrigerate after opening. Not for internal use. Void where prohibited. Don’t mess around with Jim. Power doesn't really corrupt, it is magnetic to the corruptable. Objects in mirror may be 2 dimensional. Must be 18 to play. Credo Quia Absurdum. Trespassers will be violated. Albatross! Don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been. Call your mother, she worries. If erection lasts more than 4 hours, seek immediate medical attention or bikini photos of Rosie and Oprah. Do not taunt happy fun ball. Do not look into laser beam with remaining eye. Beer, of course, is actually a depressant, but poor people will never stop hoping otherwise.
    Don't thank me; I'm doing this for your own good.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

What a piece of junk.
    The easy way is always mined.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links