Variables we control [ weight and length of barrel ] and differences in draw speed?

This is a discussion on Variables we control [ weight and length of barrel ] and differences in draw speed? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Something I've discussed with several people over the years, thought we'd discuss it on the forum and get members input. First, Do you consider your ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AzQkr
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By AzQkr

Thread: Variables we control [ weight and length of barrel ] and differences in draw speed?

Sponsor

Variables we control [ weight and length of barrel ] and differences in draw speed?

Something I've discussed with several people over the years, thought we'd discuss it on the forum and get members input.

First, Do you consider your presentation speed from concealed important to you where SD is concerned?

If it is, lets look at these weight and length of barrel variables where time to get a firearm operational is concerned.

Some background-- I've worked on my draw stroke for over 30 years, to the point I can draw and fire my normal carry [ g17 ] in just at the 1 second mark from concealed using 1/2 hip --- coupled with the scoop draw exclusively where speed is concerned whether using 1/2 hip at the waist or point shoulder. The scoop draw allows more economy of movement/motion thus decreasing draw speed and thus reducing first shot times. With OCing the same firearm, times run from .43-.46 to first shot timed from the buzzer with COM hit at 12 feet.

Length of barrel--- The longer the barrel the longer it takes to clear the holster before the muzzle can be brought to horizontal from the vertical position it usually resides in on our waist. My g26 clears the holster sooner than my g17 and produces times that are lower to first shot.

Weight of the firearm--- To get a 1911 5" that weighs 44 ounces loaded, will take longer than the plastic fantastics will with similar barrel lengths. Why? It takes more physical force to begin it's journey up and out of the holster, it weighs more comparatively speaking than a polymer pistol. Once that momentum is under way, the added weight also increases the time to move the muzzle horizontal [ we'll consider the holster retention in the examples remains exactly the same ].

So, the heavier firearm with the longer barrel has two variables that will slow the response time to first shot. The lighter polymer, conversely is easier to get moving up and out as well as reduce time for the muzzle to go horizontal and readied on a perp.

How much time is lost or saved will be dependent on the shooters skill level. If a novice shooter with less drawing experience can't get the gun operational to first shot in under 2 seconds, the differences may never concern them. When one gets enough draw experience under their belt [ literally if you carry at the waistline ] and gets their times down under 1.5 seconds to first shot, they may notice a slight difference or not.

As one gets closer to the 1 second mark to first shot, the differences speed based on length of barrel and the firearms weight becomes more apparent to them. Though it's a small increment of time saved or lost, there is certainly a time difference that's there, all else being equal.

How many have ever considered these two variables as a function of time to first shot?
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Draw speed and first shot accuracy are all important. Once you are at the point of having to use a firearm of course.

Im about as fast as anyone I know and I know several. I havent noticed that anything in the 4 inch barrel range and under makes any difference. Six inch revolver maybe a tad.

My wife is at the point where she can draw and fire 2 COM hits reliably with her SR9 before I can rush 21 feet and touch her at a target 20 feet away. 1 COM a bit quicker than that. Ive worked with her on that hard though. She can also move and fire accurately quickly but I make her stand her ground when working on that particular thing.

As to the OPs post unless we move from standard full size firearm to six inch barrels or huge pistols I cant really tell a eye lash of difference but Im not running a stop watch either.
    AzQkr likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Draw speed and first shot accuracy are all important. Once you are at the point of having to use a firearm of course.

Im about as fast as anyone I know and I know several. I havent noticed that anything in the 4 inch barrel range and under makes any difference. Six inch revolver maybe a tad.

My wife is at the point where she can draw and fire 2 COM hits reliably with her SR9 before I can rush 21 feet and touch her at a target 20 feet away. 1 COM a bit quicker than that. Ive worked with her on that hard though. Not exclusively but if one cannot clear the holster and fire accurately very quickly one may not be able to fire at all.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

One of the things I practice is to fend someone off with my right hand while accessing my left hand pocket carry needless to say aside from barrel length(short in pocket carry of course)and weight of weapon width of pocket comes into play. At the range involved hitting a man size target is not difficult. Keep mindful of your form so you don't hit the wrong man size target.

Links