Arms List

This is a discussion on Arms List within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone look at ArmsList locally to see if there are any deals out there? I've got to tell you, I've purchased quite a few ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Arms List

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"

Arms List

Does anyone look at ArmsList locally to see if there are any deals out there?

I've got to tell you, I've purchased quite a few items directly from individuals in the past, but for the past few months the postings have been completely absurd.

All these idiots want to sell their used guns for what they paid for them, or ammo from more than you can buy it at Wal-Mart (the shelves are FULL morons). Every plastic pistol is marked "RARE", or limited edition, or some other such nonsense. There is a Glock 17 that has been going round and round for $950! Like I want to pay for all your modifications you did that screwed up your gun so badly you're now trying to sell it and get every penny you spent messing it up back from ME!

I actually am finding myself getting quite annoyed when I look at it. I don't expect people to be advertising for what a dealer would give them wholesale, but if you want to sell it at least price it below what I could get a new one from a dealer!!! There is almost never anything quality or actually rare, but the same almost new, tired stuff that revolves on GB for months and months and never gets bought. Once in a blue moon some old man will sell a nice Smith or Colt for a reasonable price, but sifting through all the idiots is so tiresome. I wish there was a comment section, because most of the people posting would stop after a proper written scourging of their idiocy.
    sonnycrocket likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

Every once in a while I'll take a look in my area. Since discovering the site about a year ago, I've yet to buy a firearm mostly because of the reasons you've stated. Once, I did see a good deal but I wasn't able to jump on it in time.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Haven't bought anything on Armslist, mostly the same bunch of crap around here as well....

Occassionally I will put on the miner's helmet and hip boots and dive into CraigsList....

Oh, I forgot:

WTT: My crappy .22 pistol for a Colt Python 3", or H&H Rifle.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Haven't bought anything on Armslist, mostly the same bunch of crap around here as well....

Occassionally I will put on the miner's helmet and hip boots and dive into CraigsList....
    Now, CL on the other hand.. you can find some good deals (buying outright or via trade) for "things that go bang".
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I have had two good weapons, and good deals in the last year. I bought a CZ .22 rifle, and an M&P .22 pistol. One was new, the other LNIB.

When I say good deals, I dont mean they were way cheap, but rather that they were fairly priced.

I have a theory, and I havent really heard anyone else discuss it, but want to see what you guys think. Lets pretend that markets, even an armslist market functions rationally. If that is the case, and people are selling guns for prices higher than one would expect, we can assume that there is a rational reason for it.

I dont believe that large amounts of convicted felons are paying top dollar for weapons. So, if regular folks are, the question becomes, "why"?

The only answer that comes to my mind is that they dont want weapons with a paper trail. They dont want something that anyone from the govt knows about.

In other words, they are paying more as a form of insurance.

Ha! I have never bought anything. Seems like half the inquiries come back with an email warning that this is potentially a scam. I browse, but doubt anything will ever come of it other than references.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    I don't bother looking any more. Almost everything is WAY over priced.
    stevez likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I have had two good weapons, and good deals in the last year. I bought a CZ .22 rifle, and an M&P .22 pistol. One was new, the other LNIB.

When I say good deals, I dont mean they were way cheap, but rather that they were fairly priced.

I have a theory, and I havent really heard anyone else discuss it, but want to see what you guys think. Lets pretend that markets, even an armslist market functions rationally. If that is the case, and people are selling guns for prices higher than one would expect, we can assume that there is a rational reason for it.

I dont believe that large amounts of convicted felons are paying top dollar for weapons. So, if regular folks are, the question becomes, "why"?

The only answer that comes to my mind is that they dont want weapons with a paper trail. They dont want something that anyone from the govt knows about.

In other words, they are paying more as a form of insurance.
    Bingo! I've often thought the same thing. The majority of my guns were bought through private sale. I like to keep the government out of my business as much as possible, whenever possible.
    StormRhydr likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Does anyone look at ArmsList locally to see if there are any deals out there?

I've got to tell you, I've purchased quite a few items directly from individuals in the past, but for the past few months the postings have been completely absurd.

All these idiots want to sell their used guns for what they paid for them, or ammo from more than you can buy it at Wal-Mart (the shelves are FULL morons). Every plastic pistol is marked "RARE", or limited edition, or some other such nonsense. There is a Glock 17 that has been going round and round for $950! Like I want to pay for all your modifications you did that screwed up your gun so badly you're now trying to sell it and get every penny you spent messing it up back from ME!

I actually am finding myself getting quite annoyed when I look at it. I don't expect people to be advertising for what a dealer would give them wholesale, but if you want to sell it at least price it below what I could get a new one from a dealer!!! There is almost never anything quality or actually rare, but the same almost new, tired stuff that revolves on GB for months and months and never gets bought. Once in a blue moon some old man will sell a nice Smith or Colt for a reasonable price, but sifting through all the idiots is so tiresome. I wish there was a comment section, because most of the people posting would stop after a proper written scourging of their idiocy.
    Welcome to the intellect of the general population. They're also called 'voters'.
    gen3 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I stay away from Arms List, but I do use Gun Broker.
    sonnycrocket and gasmitty like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Same things here. Everything is over priced there. I used to check it a lot, but started doing it less and less, and now I don't bother. I can go any store nowadays and buy 9mm FMJ for 30 cents a round, yet you see people on armslist illegally selling lead projectile reloads for 40 cents a round, and that's the best deal on the site!

However, I'll sell stuff on it. Put it up for a fair price (or even a tad more) and you'll be the best deal on the site by far, and it'll sell fast!

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I'm not going to get bent out of shape over what someone charges.If i think it's to high,i go somewhere else.

As far as AR 15s go, Id advise everyone to use extreme caution when looking on armslist. I think most folks think if someone tells you the brand of their gun, and they were to buy it, they would at least get that brand of gun.

On armslist, (now), for an AR 15, (from what I have seen), you are apt NOT to get the brand they claim it to be. Worse yet, you sort of get a no brand gun.

Who knows what you really end up with, but these guns are known as "frankenguns". They are a mish mash of kit parts, and salvaged parts. Almost certainly not worth the asking prices Im seeing. Not when walmart is selling decent model colts for the prices they are.
    Jaeger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan060 View Post
    I'm not going to get bent out of shape over what someone charges.If i think it's to high,i go somewhere else.
    Me neither, but its entry after entry of high priced junk, unreasonable trade offers, and false advertising. It did not used to be like that. It used to be a legitimate firearms classified site where people bought and sold. At least around here I don't think there's any commerce going on, and if there is it's predation on suckers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links