Just Did Something Stupid

This is a discussion on Just Did Something Stupid within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So my friend (and deacon in my church) shows up at the house (his wife was over already with my wife). In the course of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Just Did Something Stupid

Just Did Something Stupid

So my friend (and deacon in my church) shows up at the house (his wife was over already with my wife). In the course of conversation I take him to show my AR-15. Now, I know from experience that he's a gun person, and good with them. Nevertheless, I still handed my rifle to him, and I keep all of my weapons loaded and chambered. . . (no, nothing bad happened, it's the point that I actually did it that bothers me).

I'm not sure whether the next bit of information makes it better or worse . . . I warned him that the gun was loaded and chambered, then checked the safety before I handed it to him. I even stood just behind and to the side making sure it was pointed in a safe direction and that his finger wasn't on the trigger. After he left, I sat back down at my computer, and I realized what I had done. I handed over a LOADED WEAPON . . . WITH ONE IN THE CHAMBER.

This may have not been a ND, or anything else of that nature, but I still consider it a major safety violation and I'm stumped at how I completely ignored my rule to never do exactly what I did. So I'm posting this as part of my penitence and putting on my big-boy pants to take the deserved drumming like a man.
    Here we go!
    thump clap, thump clap, thump clap,
    Here we go!
    Pittsburgh is going the Superbowl!
    Here we go!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Which basic rule of gun safety do you believe you violated?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    I have handed people loaded weapons several times. I don't believe that I was wrong for doing so. As long as you follow the 4 rules you're golden.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Yep, that's cringe-worthy... good news, everyone survived, and now you realize what you should not have done.

Now if gun-guy deacon friend had his wits about him, he would have either asked you to clear the gun first, or done it himself when you handed him the gun. So there's culpability to be shared.

"Let him who is among us without sin cast the first stone." Won't be me.
    srings, Gav1230, Aceoky and 7 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Well, what you did was perfectly fine and proper, had you been at the range, shooting with them.

But showing your firearm to someone (especially in your home) is also a 'mistake' in my opinion. Think about it. If it hasn't occurred to you, I'll explain it. You may think the 'deacon' is an ok guy to show, but what happens when he 'tells two friends, and they tell two friends and so on and so on'. Next thing you know, some sketchy dude you barely knows comes up to you and wants to talk about the cool AR you have in your house. See what I mean?

I never show people what firearms I have, where they are, or invite them to handle them. In fact it upsets me to no end when we're at the range and some guy at the second table (range is outdoors and you -can- have two parties shooting one at each table/booth, but I prefer it just be me and my partner) asks 'what guns do you have'. I feel like saying 'It's none of your damn business', but I usually say 'sorry, I don't discuss my personal carry firearms...'.

Last time we went, I had walked to the car and he asked my partner who was still at the firing line, and OF COURSE she blurted out everything we had. And this was the LAST guy I would have wanted to know, because (and pardon my bias) but he was some 'good old boy' who had brought two of his 'big brother, inner city 'quasi-thugs'' with him to shoot. I could just see them salivating trying to figure out how to ask where I lived, lol).

But I digress. In the home, NEVER show your firearms to anyone. Period. And if you MUST, always unload, decock, remove the mag and triple check and put the bullets and mags in another room.

At the range, I usually don't have it loaded and I hand my partner the firearm, racked back and unloaded and the magazine and let her insert it and drop the slide.

FWIW.
    oldnfat, Smarshe and shockwave like this.

Hmmm you alerted him to the condition of the weapon & stayed at a safe place making sure he was behaving safely...

What did you do wrong?
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

You said the guy was good with guns, a responsible person, one would assume. The safety was engaged, and remained in engaged, and he didnt do anything stupid.

I dont see that you did anything wrong, or unsafe.
    Christopher67 and Sister like this.

No safety anything to say anything to you about on this.

For myself the only people I will hand over a loaded firearm to is my wife my son and my daughter. Reason? If someone claiming to be my friend no matter how long ive known them wants to shoot me they may do it with my gun but they will have to put their own ammo in it first before I can shoot them with my other loaded weapon.

Sorry trust is not one of my strong suits and a person has to work long and hard to get it. The few that had that sort of trust from me are dead. Or still working on it.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I have handed people loaded weapons several times. I don't believe that I was wrong for doing so. As long as you follow the 4 rules you're golden.
    How do you know the person you handed it to knows/follows them?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I've made this a habit. Even with our mounted shooting .45s, every single time I hand someone a gun, I open the gate, check the cylinder, show them, and ask them to check it. And we check out each other's guns alot and we show them to alot of spectators who are interested.

And I never allow a fellow shooter or spectator to point the barrel in an inappropriate direction. I reguide their hand/the gun. I never move out of arm's reach.

So I think Jem, it would be a good habit to develop.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I would agree it's a bit of a butt clencher, but nothing to beat yourself up over.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Well...you have some big ones to admit to that...

But now ya know better. Lesson learned. Everyone is safe.

This confession may well help someone down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Which basic rule of gun safety do you believe you violated?
    This one: You're brain is the best safety you have, engage it.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Well, what you did was perfectly fine and proper, had you been at the range, shooting with them.

But showing your firearm to someone (especially in your home) is also a 'mistake' in my opinion. Think about it. If it hasn't occurred to you, I'll explain it. You may think the 'deacon' is an ok guy to show, but what happens when he 'tells two friends, and they tell two friends and so on and so on'. Next thing you know, some sketchy dude you barely knows comes up to you and wants to talk about the cool AR you have in your house. See what I mean?

I never show people what firearms I have, where they are, or invite them to handle them. In fact it upsets me to no end when we're at the range and some guy at the second table (range is outdoors and you -can- have two parties shooting one at each table/booth, but I prefer it just be me and my partner) asks 'what guns do you have'. I feel like saying 'It's none of your damn business', but I usually say 'sorry, I don't discuss my personal carry firearms...'.

Last time we went, I had walked to the car and he asked my partner who was still at the firing line, and OF COURSE she blurted out everything we had. And this was the LAST guy I would have wanted to know, because (and pardon my bias) but he was some 'good old boy' who had brought two of his 'big brother, inner city 'quasi-thugs'' with him to shoot. I could just see them salivating trying to figure out how to ask where I lived, lol).

But I digress. In the home, NEVER show your firearms to anyone. Period. And if you MUST, always unload, decock, remove the mag and triple check and put the bullets and mags in another room.

At the range, I usually don't have it loaded and I hand my partner the firearm, racked back and unloaded and the magazine and let her insert it and drop the slide.

FWIW.
    The thing is, I shoot with a few guys in my church, and while he and I haven't had a chance to yet, we will soon, so he'd see everything I have anyway. On top of that, it was reciprocal in that he showed me his AR a few weeks ago when I was over there (Yeah, not loaded, and I check first thing. My brain was engaged that day).

Funny you should mention the range, because that is exactly what I thought about. It's how my wife and I handle weapons at the range.

I think what bothers me the most about this is the fact that I try to take full responsibility for any and every weapon I possess, but I didn't even think about clearing it instead of warning him.
    Here we go!
    Here we go!
    Pittsburgh is going the Superbowl!
    Here we go!

I had a co-worker hand me a loaded pistol with one in the chamber and I had no idea it was loaded until I racked the slide and this big hunk of .45 comes flying out and another slides right in the chamber. I had a minor coronary, and immediately dropped the mag and cleared the gun.......and handed it back to the owner and politely told him....."Don't EVER do that to me again."

....as long as you told him the gun was loaded, and made sure the gun was pointed in a safe direction, I don't see that you did anything wrong
    Pistology and Sister like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    Nevertheless, I still handed my rifle to him, and I keep all of my weapons loaded and chambered. . .

I warned him that the gun was loaded and chambered, then checked the safety before I handed it to him. I even stood just behind and to the side making sure it was pointed in a safe direction and that his finger wasn't on the trigger.
    So long as you're fairly sure the person is completely adept at safe gun handling, that's not an intolerable way to go. Have done that method at the range, myself, and I'd bet many or most folks have done so as well.

But, that said, you're right. It would have been safer, overall, to eject the mag, clear it, then hand over the clearly-empty weapon. You never know what another person might be capable of in a moment of "euphoria" when evaluating some cool new thing ... trained or not.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links